Rescue11

5488's the new 1206's?

Just now, Rescue11 said:

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the insight.

Probably will just look for a later model (mid '89 or later) 7100 series. Less of a gamble anyway.

Frankly my early 7140 (87 year) has been a tick better cost wise as my late 8930.  15000 or so hrs and 10000 hrs.  Id get a early or later anyday.  88s are decent but our magnums have much better hydro, noise level, ride, etc than my 88 ever did.  I would enjoy a round in 5488Duke's super nice 5488.  Would love to be in one with all the modern updates like seat and lights etc.  But i bet restoring it wasnt lo cost either.  Still cool rig!

Early magnums do not have a better hydraulic system than the 88's........it has been well discussed here, I have seen its weakness with the early one I had.  If I HAD to own another one, I would stay in the 7200 series, that is just me.  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Frankly my early 7140 (87 year) has been a tick better cost wise as my late 8930.  15000 or so hrs and 10000 hrs.  Id get a early or later anyday.  88s are decent but our magnums have much better hydro, noise level, ride, etc than my 88 ever did.  I would enjoy a round in 5488Duke's super nice 5488.  Would love to be in one with all the modern updates like seat and lights etc.  But i bet restoring it wasnt lo cost either.  Still cool rig!

Ever get to Ohio, give me a shout, I'll let you drive it anytime you want. I'm still way under the cost of a magnum after all of the updates, new tires, and auto steer installed. Good magnums in our area are 50k to 70k depending on hours/paint/tires/cab condition.

Loren

• Like 1

Man alive I had no idea how scarce parts are for early mfwd parts for These tractors. Just about everything has been updated to different style, and even some of those updated parts have been discontinued. My 5488 went to the mechanic for a hub seal, which turned into a complete tear down of both sides to discover that the right side drive shaft that runs from the front dif to the hub was very worn. New ones are NLA so we're resorting to have a machine shop build it back up. How do you find parts to rebuild these Mike?

• Sad 1