Rescue11

5488's the new 1206's?

It seems the more I want a 5488, the higher they go! I pay no attention to tractorhouse, but auctiontime and big iron 88 series, namely the 50 family, is almost box car magnum price at this point.

Even a rusty pile of junk needing an engine overhaul and many more things are un real!

Is the 5488 next on the collector list for these guys??

IDK about you, but I've always liked a 5488 over a 1206.  🤷‍♂️

Just now, drglinski said:

IDK about you, but I've always liked a 5488 over a 1206.  🤷‍♂️

Absolutely yes!! ^^^^^^^

3 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

They could be but for the wrong reasons. 

Can you explain why please?

I would love to have a MFD one..... lacking the greenbacks though 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rescue11 said:

Can you explain why please?

Because some of the desirability of the 5488 or 88 series comes from being the last tractors IH made.  Just for an example, I have a relative with a 5488.  It gets used about once a year to run an auger during harvest.  He is not a tractor or antique anything nut.  He's even sold a few of the family heirlooms.  But he keeps the 5488 because in his own words it was the last tractor IH made.  If IH would have survived and come out with what I assume would be the Magnums with IH engines the 88 series wouldn't be near as famous as they are now. 

They are coming out of the wood work for sure.  I have 5 5488's here now from 4 different states.   I have 3 done and gone.  So there was a total of 8 of them here this winter so far. 

Mike 

• Like 2

If you watch it goes in a cycle. Now the 88s are up because “that’s what dad bought new”. It’s the sentimental value IMO. That’s why the 06’s and 56’s are holding value, and not raising as crazy as they were. Just my two pennies

• Like 1

Saw an 88 on face book a few months ago for 5000 iiirc. Didnt look to bad other than a flat front tire. Not sure it was a 54 tho.

Take the collectablilty factor being the last and largest conventional tractors IH made. Then add that they are still functional and relatively modern machines capable of many tasks.

And put it on top of the price of a new tractor with all sorts of electronic things to go wrong. It's pretty hard to justify a $150,000 tractor to move things around the yard and do a little PTO work. 

I think they’ve really fallen off around hear most run of the mill 2wd are under 10 had a nice farmer owned late 5488 on Firestone’s needed paint 7700$

Knowing what I know now I should have bought the MFD twin to my 2wd 5288 that was on the lot next to it at that time for $12k, I paid right at $9k for the one I got, and having never been around an 88 up to that point that was bigger than a 3688, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, so I didn't want to buy 2 of something I hated.  Well, it came, put 400 hours on it that year, and 600 some the next, completely happy with it.  Next year bought a 7130 MFD................with all the hype, I figured it would be amazing..............Not sure what we put on that, that year because I hated it so much I didn't run it much, put probably 4-500 on it without looking, that winter it left.  After using that it made me more upset that I didn't get the 5288 MFD at the same time I got the 2wd one.  Oh well.  Now, you can't hardly touch one in the same condition for double that.

• Confused 1

Why didn't you like the Magnum? 

10 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

If you watch it goes in a cycle. Now the 88s are up because “that’s what dad bought new”. It’s the sentimental value IMO. That’s why the 06’s and 56’s are holding value, and not raising as crazy as they were. Just my two pennies

Agreed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Knowing what I know now I should have bought the MFD twin to my 2wd 5288 that was on the lot next to it at that time for $12k, I paid right at $9k for the one I got, and having never been around an 88 up to that point that was bigger than a 3688, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, so I didn't want to buy 2 of something I hated.  Well, it came, put 400 hours on it that year, and 600 some the next, completely happy with it.  Next year bought a 7130 MFD................with all the hype, I figured it would be amazing..............Not sure what we put on that, that year because I hated it so much I didn't run it much, put probably 4-500 on it without looking, that winter it left.  After using that it made me more upset that I didn't get the 5288 MFD at the same time I got the 2wd one.  Oh well.  Now, you can't hardly touch one in the same condition for double that.

Youve said that before.  To each his own for sure.  We went from a 5088 to a 8930.  I dont think no matter how cool they are you'd talk me into a 88 again vs a Magnum.  Just nicer to operate for me, way less issues in the 10000h 8930 than ever was with the 5300h 5088.  I think the magnum is smoother, better hydros for us, quieter, easier to service etc.  88s are good looking and sometimes I think a 5288 2wd on our mixer wagon be good set-up.  Then I look at my 17000h 7140 and think, What more do you want man? 

• Like 2

A lot of people are scared of the computers Def and all the other stuff there putting on tractors these days plus the high price of a new one so they are going back to the older stuff where I'm from it's mostly green around here and those guys say the same about the 30 and 40 series. Where I work 9 years ago they said no more new tractors they are too high so we went to 986's and a 1086 they were worried about a 86 fwd so they got a 5088 and a 5288 now we have those a 5488 fwd and six 5088 2wd and only one 86 left and they get used if you got good operators not self claimed drivers then there pretty good for what we do

• Like 1

For the veggy fields, I liked the STS a lot better than the full power shift.......since that time I put some of the cut out plates in some magnums here to go from higher gears across to reverse, which I planned to do on the 7130, but even that change still made it clumsy IMO.  

Although the turning issue with mfd would not have changed whether the maggot or the 88 with mfd which was the other big issue I had.....

As far as the cab vision out the rear and they hydraulic capabilities it's the 88 all the way comparing it to the first series of boxcars.  

• Confused 1

The 5488 is powerful, basically simple, good cab, good hydraulics and nice to drive.  Oh, and the best looking tractor ever built!

1FF4FF47-6789-473E-B4FA-8A26BF70E4B3.jpeg

• Like 5

We've got a 5088 and two 5488s...one with mfd.  They're good tractors for the money IF they get proper care...like most tractors.  When we bought the first 2wd 54, it was half the price of a similar houred 7140.  Serial # is 4408 and has been major trouble free.  The '84 5488 mfd was about 2/3 the cost of a similar 7140 mfd but has been rebuilt from front back after purchase even though it was supposed to have been rebuilt and updated before we bought it from a "rebuilder"...was not a good purchase $-wise. 5088 only had 3400 hours on it when purchased and was repainted.  Was mechanically good except for ring gear and sentry.  Replaced both and has been solid for same $ as an excellent jd 4440.  Nearly everything can be rebuilt to specs by a good mechanic but there is no substitute for good maintenance and properly fluids.  The 50 series aren't idiot proof like the Magnum but the well cared for 50 series tractors are a good value if you can find them.  All ours have great paint, cab interiors and seats...a pleasure to drive.

At least 5488's are rare. Around 3900 5488s vs. over 9000 1206s. 

It's also a generational thing. 1206's were getting hot 20 years ago. What came along 20 years after the 1206? 5488s!

• Like 1

Had this 5488 setting in the shed for a while. Inherited it fairly cheap. Motor rebuilt but tranny bad. Probably should have unloaded it years ago. Had tranny fixed and updated 5-6 years ago then set some more. Last winter decided to get serious, replaced turbo, ex manifold gsk. New cab mounts, iso couplers, cab kit and seat and new rubber. Used it last spring on drilling beans and side dressing corn. The more I drive it wish I had fixed it years ago. Didn't  mean to ramble on.

20180527_150512.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the insight.

Probably will just look for a later model (mid '89 or later) 7100 series. Less of a gamble anyway.

• Like 1