Some new 1983 prices

Must have been a Hoober ad as they were the only ones who sold the combine in PA

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, bitty said:

Must have been a Hoober ad as they were the only ones who sold the combine in PA

You say that like there was only one sold in the state. That’s a laugh I needed today. 

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

You say that like there was only one sold in the state. That’s a laugh I needed today. 

I should word it better. They are/were the only one that had the franchise to sell the axialflow back then, maybe still? 

7 minutes ago, bitty said:

I should word it better. They are/were the only one that had the franchise to sell the axialflow back then, maybe still? 

I know what you meant and didn’t mean to poke fun at you. It came across funny to me the way I read it. That is an interesting note that only one dealership had that ability. Coming from this area that never happened. 

18 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

the combine price sure isn't a bargain for how its equiped as advertised 

That price was similar to what our Massey 760 was and I can tell you that 1460 would have been a bargain compared to the Massey.

34 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I don't believe that was the case.....

Maybe it was in the Lancaster area? I know Hoober had some kind of agreement to be exclusive in a certain area

8 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I thought that only was with Steiger?  

Think Binkley doesn't have axialflow, I think that Eckroth does. I am not sure of others. I have heard that Binkley had some hard feelings about not having access to them. From our experience I think the dealership network needs to be limited to ones that are going to excel in customer satisfaction and service as a happy customer is sooner a repeat customer compared to a dissatisfied customer.

We have dealt with an excellent dealer for our self propelled chopper and it takes a big effort on the dealership side of the equation to be an excellent dealer. I think these harvesting situations parallel each other in many ways 

I should add that if two or more dealerships in close proximity have the same product it's less likely that one dealership is going to be able to stock all the stuff that you need in a pinch as quick because you're going to have the same amount of parts spread out in more dealerships

I work for Eckroth Equipment and we are the only ones in Pa besides Hoober that has the combine contract. It helps that Hoober has more than one store in Pa to serve more of the state but we do a lot in parts and service for combines too. I have done business with Hoober with parts, service & combine purchases and have had good experiences when I was actively farming full time  

We bought a 1066 hydro from Dan at Eckroth Eqpt. Was nice dealing with him. Cab had been squished by a collapse of a barn, he found it had water in the oil the day our trucker was to pick it up. We bought it as is then and in framed it .

C&W is probably who turned in to CFS before Hoober bought them? 

32 minutes ago, bitty said:

Yes, in the 80's joining with Chambersburg Farm Service. CFS Carlise went out in 2007 and then CFS Chambersburg was acquired by Hoober in 2009.

1 hour ago, red farmer said:

I work for Eckroth Equipment and we are the only ones in Pa besides Hoober that has the combine contract. It helps that Hoober has more than one store in Pa to serve more of the state but we do a lot in parts and service for combines too. I have done business with Hoober with parts, service & combine purchases and have had good experiences when I was actively farming full time  

Yes, that is the case now, but in those days I don't believe that was the case.........most of the guys around me, and us included dealt at Mifflinburg, and I believe they sold a few.  The local, local dealer here at the time was Ken Bergren INC. and I worked there awhile, they explained to me that the contracts then were by the division,. Such as AG, lawn and garden, construction, and trucks......they could sell everything but trucks.  Some of the family hated selling parts for AG and they tried to move away from it, they were probably the only IH dealer that almost had a party when tenneco showed up on scene.......what wasn't theirs was taken to Waltz's, and what was theirs they sold.......they still had all the service manuals up to the 66's yet when I was there but they wouldn't sell them.  

That is an interesting ad there. Cool stuff. 

I realize the equipment in the ad were specials but It made me wonder: how much would a 5488 cost during that  time ? 

11 hours ago, bitty said:

We bought a 1066 hydro from Dan at Eckroth Eqpt. Was nice dealing with him. Cab had been squished by a collapse of a barn, he found it had water in the oil the day our trucker was to pick it up. We bought it as is then and in framed it .

Yeah Dan is a great guy to work with. He always treated us fair when we did business with him