Few pics of a 65 acre block of  35 yr old Monterey   Pines.....logged a few years gone.....and the Station....(You good folk would call it a "Ranch" )....wanted this block back in pasture.....so we attacked with  their equipment     (Can't get operators...so son and I were asked if we could do this job...now they want us for four days a week  ..if possible !!! ).......D53  Komatsu and Hyundai   21 ton   excavator...both in good shape.

Stumps are ripped  out with a ripper....then a root rake is used to both fill in the large holes left behind...and start the windrowing process...D53 has root rake in front of six way blade ( Ripper   both on excavator......and D53)   Stones  feature in most areas...so after windrowing the final effort was to go through with D53....with rootrake tines about  6-8 inches in the ground....blade on angle...thus windrowing stones away...and a 14 ton hyster  grid roller behind. It is now sown with short rotation  rye  grass..plus a brassica..

Another 70 acre paddock had the" blade skim and roller treatment ".....to enable direct drilling  to take over from  broadcasting seed and fert etc ...  Picture of the ubiquitous  green  tractor and  ller after our finished   efforts   on the stumping block......tractor is rolling  seed  and squeezing  down smaller stones...thus the manuka   tree   "harrows "  on behind.....won't pull up anymore stones !!

Mike

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

• Like 1

You got any of those 20 million old trees 🌲 I’ve heard about under that,if you do , should pay for the whole job with one? 

Good pics there Mike. Just came back from a week in Nelson; lovely part of the country that i havn,t seen much of.  Had a look at Billy Higgs IH collection down there.

Good to see your still around and posting; saw this originally on construction forum.

Is going to be a huge machinery show down at wanaka over easter; that i have decided im going to. Have you heard about it ??  is called wheels at wanaka.

Cheers Merv

G.day   Merv...great to hear from you !!....you should have let me know about your Nelson visit...could have shown you lots of IH's   and Cats !!

Yeah....11 years into the pension...and still getting a ridiculous amount of machine operating !!...that's all good but I can't seem to get on with our farm work...never mind all the gas over diesels that I would like to start working on .....

Yes...that show will be a beauty ...might see you there ??

Regards      Mike

• Like 1

I see around here in central wis. a lot of the Mennonites who probably don't participate in any government programs have been clearing and tiling a lot of land. not so much lately with milk price. but I have seen a lot in clark county. usually they have a guy come in with the equipment and the whole tree in pulled out and sent thru the chipper, fun to watch just a little snort from the chipper when a big elm goes thru, about 2 k an acre was the cost I was told, not worried about sod busting or swamp busting so a lot has been done. was told that doing the whole tree is more cost effective than just pulling the stumps, I assume that the chips go to a power plant, brother that does work at one of the places has said the last year not much has been done, I am sure that has to do with commodity prices as of lately and dairy prices. and probably that land price has softened a little. never did like the big windrow of stumps but was told by logger that if it is clear cut it costs about 1200 an acre to windrow the cut stumps.