Pertronix Upgrade

suprjohn

6 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Interesting, yet I have been running solid core wires on my '79 Chevy with HEI for years without any problem... I have had less problems since making my own wires. My old school Chevy mechanic buddy said "well, if they don't mess up your radio, then yea, best way to go"!

I think they start  messing with computer controls on the newer 87 on engines.  Makes me chuckle about radio and tv. When we were younger we used to put straw and feed out for pigs and straw ,hay for calves after supper in the dark during school year.  The animals were all our parents so this was just us doing their work. Dad would get madder than **** sometimes at us screaming lungs out sometimes.  Couldn’t figure this out for a bit but We were using to gas super ms  for chores. Mom and Dad had just gotten dish tv in the early 90s and he would just be getting to a good spot on hbo or Cinemax . The tractors would put ignition lines onto tv bad just when a good spot was coming up.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, dale560 said:

Here are some articles to explain what could happen

782EEE1B-02D8-471F-83E9-B435DD6598FD.png

388764B9-29A7-4E0D-B4A4-84B418F592F1.png

52983031-624E-4175-8F2F-3CA0BFB2B129.jpeg

Maybe that's why the one's we had burned out.   I don't know if our were Perteronics brand or not, but I was not impressed.  I didn't see any performance gain at the track and there wasn't much longevity.   Once they burned out I put points back in them and never looked back.   There is a lot to be said for simplicity of opening and closing a set of contacts....  Just my two cents.

8 hours ago, Cooter said:

Maybe that's why the one's we had burned out.   I don't know if our were Perteronics brand or not, but I was not impressed.  I didn't see any performance gain at the track and there wasn't much longevity.   Once they burned out I put points back in them and never looked back.   There is a lot to be said for simplicity of opening and closing a set of contacts....  Just my two cents.

Most people don’t understand how to set points or how they work anymore. For the big hp you could get dual points. One set offset more on distributor cam for more dwell without point hop at high speed.

Archived