Sign in to follow this  
T Red

Hydraulic oil help

I'm working on a truck that has a pto pump that drives a hydraulic motor.  I runs a screw compressor (that has a completely separate lub system).  

This is what the hydraulic oil looks like. 

I thought it had water in it but it has set for more than 48 hours and no separation.  Any ideas on whats going on?  I called the folks who installed the system and they said it uses aw32(they were useless and I wonder how long he'd been on the job.  I've never seen anything like this.  

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

T Red

Depending on what type of oil you have, some of these oils have additives that will maintain water in suspension.   Looking at your sample I woulds say that your oil has water in it in suspension.   HyTran will hold water in suspension very well.

GT&T

Isnt aw32 an iso9000 number used world wide? Not a number a lot of us would recognize right off. Can probably cross it on google. 

Looks like water.   Water can find its way into the system from condensation to a bad breather and every way in between.    Some fluids have a higher tolerance for moisture content and will not drop the additives.    HyTran is overkill in a system like this that is separate from a transmission.  AW (antiwear) hydraulic fluids don’t have an additive package for transmissions.   AW fluids are rated by viscosity.  An AW32 is the colder climate fluid while an AW100 is more for hotter climates.   In between there is an AW46 and 68. 

1 hour ago, GT&T said:

T Red

Depending on what type of oil you have, some of these oils have additives that will maintain water in suspension.   Looking at your sample I woulds say that your oil has water in it in suspension.   HyTran will hold water in suspension very well.

GT&T

I think you may be right.  Maybe there's enough water dissolved in the oil to make it look like this but not saturated to the point of separating.  I've never seen it quite like this.  

AW32 is just 10 wt hydraulic oil.  

There is a good chance the drivers/users of the truck left the hydraulic pump in engaged, instead of shutting it off between use. When left on pressure the oil shears, sort of  homogenizes, and weakens the oil. I've seen 460 and 560 Farmalls that the hydraulic valves messed up and were stuck on pressure do the same thing with new, clean hytran. No moisture involved. 

if you want to find out if there is water in there . drop some on a hot skillet. you will know then.  just be careful wont take much to know

I have left it setting since originally posted and no separation at all.  Water or air.  Looks exactly the same.    

Wayne I have done some research and it appears that aeration may be to blame in some of those cases( and maybe this one also).  I did not find anything on the oil breaking down.  No way to leave the PTO in our case as it shuts off if you shift out of park.