R.I.P. 5088

My 5088 burned last week. I dont know the cause, but suspect electrical? It had been sitting for a week or so. This was a great tractor just rolled over 7400 hours. Other than tires and a few odds and ends it was cheap to run, never left me with work to do. 

20181211_193743.jpg

20181211_193801.jpg

20180625_154106.jpg

• Sad 6

Sorry about that. Hopefully you had good insurance if you had it covered. Too many times it seems like insurance costs every year but hardly covers anything well 

That's terrible. I know exactly how that feels. We lost a tractor to fire a couple years ago, electrical in front of the cab. Never good especially during the busy season. Good luck 

Tough deal, sorry to hear about your loss. This is the time of the year we start seeing a few tractor fire calls. Feed tractors plugged in, not kept clean, oily hay dirt around the cord or other wiring. It's bad enough when they're outside but if inside can get real expensive. Hope your insurance treats you right.

Man that's tuff. BIL had a tractor burn a few years ago. He got off the tractor to check something, noticed smoke coming up from the corner of the cab. Had time to grab his jacket and cell phone. 14 minutes for the first fire truck to get there. He said that after he called 911 that it was the most helpless feeling he'd ever had watching it burn. I told him her should have had that feeling years ago standing at the alter with my sister.

Rick

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I told him her should have had that feeling years ago standing at the alter with my sister.

51 minutes ago, rcb said:

I've saved myself a few times with fire extinguishers

Hmmmmmm

• Haha 2

Sorry to see that i had a couple close calls never lost one completely! Dad just got a new gehl skid steer was gonna haul manure took skid steer down parked went to get the spreader came back and the skid steer was smoking so being 14 i jumped on it was still running and smoking headed for the milk house and got the hose out! Lucky it was new didnt have any oil and everything else in the bottom of the belly pan battery cable shorted out! Then one time i just bought a 966 first day out it had some extra wiring up under the dash for something i was picking corn and it shorted out lucky they didnt have bolts in the center section cause i didnt have wrenches! 

I remember custom picking corn one year with a Uni system 702. A fire got started on top of the drive axle. I was near the farmers pond . I got down and carried water with my Lacrosse boots and put it out. Well that night I told my dad who owned it about the fire and he cussed me out for not letting it burn because he hated the machine. Oh well at least the corn field did not burn too. Sorry for your loss, that looked like a nice rig to run.

• Haha 1

I may be asking a dumb question, but here goes. If I am being ridiculous, go ahead and tell me so. As I said before, sorry for the loss, it's a shame to see a good reliable tractor go up in smoke. My question is,  does anyone think that it could be saved? I realize that it may not be cost effective, but a new cab, tires, wiring, hoses,  paint, etc could make it good again? I personally would rather have that tractor rebuilt than anything new. Just asking if you think it can or should be saved? 

1 minute ago, 12_Guy said:

I may be asking a dumb question, but here goes. If I am being ridiculous, go ahead and tell me so. As I said before, sorry for the loss, it's a shame to see a good reliable tractor go up in smoke. My question is,  does anyone think that it could be saved? I realize that it may not be cost effective, but a new cab, tires, wiring, hoses,  paint, etc could make it good again? I personally would rather have that tractor rebuilt than anything new. Just asking if you think it can or should be saved? 

It certainly can have some salvaged if not a lot. It depends how hot what got on it