Hey all,

Went out the other day to start up the triple 6. Pulled the dipstick and saw the gray oil/water trace on the stick. Came back with fresh oil, pulled the plug, and a ton of coolant ran out before the oil. Evidently the antifreeze froze and cracked the block. The gasser is done for.

That being said, I guess it's time to repower; by time i get a block and all the other parts for the gasser I should replace in the process, I could probably find a running D312 diesel ($2000 from Albilene Machine from a 686). I'd thought of doing it anyway but didn't want to change around great-grandpa's tractor for no reason. This seems to have taken care of that. I'm not junking the tractor (see the "great-grandpa's tractor" part).

I know the 666's and early 686's were built with 312's, so is this a pretty clean swap? I know I'll need the diesel radiator. Anything else needed? Original flywheel, clutch, and all that?

I had considered a DT360, but that will require quite a few parts and engineering, and the only affordable one I found I didn't buy at the time. If only my crystal ball worked. Might as well do that T/A clutch finally, since she's gonna come apart.

Easiest way to go about it is to get everything between the front bolster and bell housing. Make sure they don't take anything off the engine, because any of those parts are hard to find once they're removed.

A D360 is the same block size as the 312, just taller in the cylinders IIRC. It would bolt right in with 312 parts, but the parts off the gas engine are useless for this project.

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a blown head gasket or a cracked head? Just thinking out loud. It would be a shame to swap an engine when it's only the head. The 312 is an awesome engine in a 666. Where I live the Diesel engine is always the best option but I have spoken with people who live where it gets really cold and they like the gas engine for cranking in the winter. Do you use this tractor for winter feeding or snow plow duty? Has the gas engine served you well in the past? May be better to stay with the gas engine if it gets cold enough to freeze antifreeze. Wish you the best of luck.

Mark

12 hours ago, MarkG said:

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a blown head gasket or a cracked head? Just thinking out loud. It would be a shame to swap an engine when it's only the head. The 312 is an awesome engine in a 666. Where I live the Diesel engine is always the best option but I have spoken with people who live where it gets really cold and they like the gas engine for cranking in the winter. Do you use this tractor for winter feeding or snow plow duty? Has the gas engine served you well in the past? May be better to stay with the gas engine if it gets cold enough to freeze antifreeze. Wish you the best of luck.

Mark

X2 I would at least take the head off before completely knocking the gasser on the head. My experience is the heads crack before the blocks. We've had heads crack on both a 460 and a H. Replaced the heads and all was good. 

But you probably have more insight on what is going on here so your call.