One Piece - Two Piece Drawbar Change Over by IH ???

leeave96

My 756 has a two piece drawbar - a tube that looks like you can slide the drawbar back into - I think that’s how it works.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a two piece drawbar in an 86 series tractor from pictures; all one piece drawbar.

However, I see 66 series tractors with either one or two piece drawbars in pics a lot.

Was there a change over from the two piece to one piece drawbars on the 66 series?  If so, what year did this occur and why?

I have another color tractor where the drawbar slides under the tractor and out of the way - it’s kind of handy at times.

Just curious about the two to one piece drawbar change over by IH.

Thanks!

You see more of the 2 piece drawbar on the 766 and 966. Less on the 1066. I think the larger tractors needed the stronger 1 piece design to prevent breaking.   The removable drawbar stub is a handy feature. My older machines are a mixture: 544, 656, 756, 826, 856, 1206 are 2 piece. Both 706, 806, 1256, 1066, 1486 are 1 piece. 

I replaced the 2pc one in 856 with a 1pc one that was marked as a 1466 one from the drawbar rack at leesburg location of Worthington about 15 yr ago. It is W I D E R than the one in my 1486. Appears to be a more robust drawbar than the 86 series, but differences in steel are not visible to naked eye.

In the 06 series the drawbar choice was based on hitch. A 3-point equipped tractor used a one piece that would slide ahead for using mounted equipment like a plow. But a fast hitch blocked the area needed to slide it ahead, so it got a two piece drawbar. I think you could flip the tail piece around, or of course just remove it to get clearance. We have broken a couple two piece units, so they get replaced with a one piece.

5 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

In the 06 series the drawbar choice was based on hitch. A 3-point equipped tractor used a one piece that would slide ahead for using mounted equipment like a plow. But a fast hitch blocked the area needed to slide it ahead, so it got a two piece drawbar. I think you could flip the tail piece around, or of course just remove it to get clearance. We have broken a couple two piece units, so they get replaced with a one piece.

My 1206 with three point has a two piece drawbar. 

1 minute ago, jass1660 said:

My 1206 with three point has a two piece drawbar. 

I’m not really sure how it worked on the 1206. Didn’t they have sort of a cross between fast hitch and 3-point? But on the 706 and 806 the pattern seems to be as I described. Keep in mind though that those tractors are up to 55 years old and may have been modified by now.

I was always told the the change came in the 66 series when they went away from the diamond cab and rainbow tach they did away with the factory 2-piece drawbar as the standard equipment, but I'm not sure of the year or serial number break.  We have a few left, but they are mainly for the tractors we take to shows, because they are kind of crappy for doing work; most have been replaced with a one piece.

We had a two piece on a 1066 hydro that had the earlier cab that sloped back ( not diamond cab) . We have since switched over to the one piece

The online parts catalog (I looked up the 806 series) and it showed 5 different styles of drawbars depending on 2 pt or 3 pt and serial number ranger of the tractor...

I have been around numerous tractors with the 2 piece drawbar. Every single one has the tube (front piece) bent, or holes wore in them from sway pieces or on bottom. I guess in this country guys are rough on them. Anyone else notice this a lot? 

32 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I have been around numerous tractors with the 2 piece drawbar. Every single one has the tube (front piece) bent, or holes wore in them from sway pieces or on bottom. I guess in this country guys are rough on them. Anyone else notice this a lot? 

Yes, exactly why my 2pcs are changed to 1pc

23 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Yes, exactly why my 2pcs are changed to 1pc

Lol, apparently you've never came across a worn 1-piece. The one that you take the pin out of the front to move in or out and it doesn't move because it's worn into the support.

Travis

I have a 2 pcs on my 806 with 3 point but Dad added the 3point a few years back. Would the one 1 pcs work better for me. and is it a heavier built one. Sometimes I have to move mobile homes with it. Them 16ft by 80 ft are heavy on the hitch. Been taking a chain and hooking under there to 3 point for added support.  Maybe someone on can can give give me some better pointers.   Thanks                                  WES

7 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

I have a 2 pcs on my 806 with 3 point but Dad added the 3point a few years back. Would the one 1 pcs work better for me. and is it a heavier built one. Sometimes I have to move mobile homes with it. Them 16ft by 80 ft are heavy on the hitch. Been taking a chain and hooking under there to 3 point for added support.  Maybe someone on can can give give me some better pointers.   Thanks                                  WES

You could stiffen the one piece up like these guys have been doing for big balers and honey wagons. A while back we had a post about that. Otherwise a good one piece and a support chain should be fine. I’d be more inclined to go to the top link bracket with a little binder to tighten the chain than going to the 3 point arms.  Whatever works. Personally the 2 piece are plenty heavy under normal conditions, but a house trailer probably isn’t normal conditions. Back in the day grandpa made up a bracket that slid over the drawbar that had arms that went up to the top link bracket and pinned. It was kind of shrude but a guy could make something nice that you could install when needed. 

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

You could stiffen the one piece up like these guys have been doing for big balers and honey wagons. A while back we had a post about that. Otherwise a good one piece and a support chain should be fine. I’d be more inclined to go to the top link bracket with a little binder to tighten the chain than going to the 3 point arms.  Whatever works. Personally the 2 piece are plenty heavy under normal conditions, but a house trailer probably isn’t normal conditions. Back in the day grandpa made up a bracket that slid over the drawbar that had arms that went up to the top link bracket and pinned. It was kind of shrude but a guy could make something nice that you could install when needed. 

It's a mobile home park and the driver's that bring them in gets them close but not in the lines they want them in so I put them in  spot. The guys on ground told me the drawbar bowed without chain. It's a pain to do sometime trailer wheels are in mud/sod a foot deep. Just wonding if 1 pcs would be better. Other then that 3 point is mostly used other then pulling a disk or round baler

9 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

It's a mobile home park and the driver's that bring them in gets them close but not in the lines they want them in so I put them in  spot. The guys on ground told me the drawbar bowed without chain. It's a pain to do sometime trailer wheels are in mud/sod a foot deep. Just wonding if 1 pcs would be better. Other then that 3 point is mostly used other then pulling a disk or round baler

Either one i would chain up. So probably not worth the $$ unless you come across a cheap one. 

49 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Wes....yes, one piece is the only way to go if you are moving the more modern mobile homes. I'm surprised you've been able to move any with the two-piece. Then one's that I've moved very far require a one-piece drawbar and a full rack of weights up front to be safe.

Travis

1 minute ago, Sparky said:

Wes....yes, one piece is the only way to go if you are moving the more modern mobile homes. I'm surprised you've been able to move any with the two-piece. Then one's that I've moved very far require a one-piece drawbar and a full rack of weights up front to be safe.

Travis

I'll look into a 1 piece and keep the 2 piece also. So far I've backed them up and forward to get in place with out any front weights. There a couple times I felt it get light just got 2 front weights for it would like a few more but had to find used here where i'm at.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Lol, apparently you've never came across a worn 1-piece. The one that you take the pin out of the front to move in or out and it doesn't move because it's worn into the support.

Travis

Have not noticed wear in the front but have had 2 snap off on discbines

Archived