Sign in to follow this  
hardknocks

450 rearend

If it has a T/A then use HyTran, if not equipped with T/A then 80W90 should be fine.

5 minutes ago, hardknocks said:

It had 80/90 in it and had a t/a. Didn’t they all come out with 80/90

Back then they had a torque amplifier additive until the hytran was developed . I have an empty can on the shop wall

IMG_20181217_101652425.jpg

IMG_20181217_101657588.jpg

15 gal. for trans/rear do not know if this includes T.A.(wet part) , but they are one compartment. Use HiTran. They had troubles with the thicker oil not getting into the inner workings of the T.A.

• Like 1

The ramp and rollers and planetaries all run in oil. The clutch is the only dry part. It should have hy Tran in it.

• Like 1

Make sure that you open all the drain plugs from the clutch back. The wet part of the TA, trans, front pto, and rear end are connected, but have low spots that do not drain out through the rear end.

6 hours ago, hardknocks said:

They are a dry t/a.  Not a wet like a 06-86

They failed early from lack of lubrication to the over running clutch and planetary gear set unit with the 80/90 especially in the winter if used. The additive was the early fix until Hytran came out.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, VacDaddyt said:

They failed early from lack of lubrication to the over running clutch and planetary gear set unit with the 80/90 especially in the winter if used. The additive was the early fix until Hytran came out.

I think the T/A additive was added to 30 weight engine oil too if I remember the manuals correctly.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I think the T/A additive was added to 30 weight engine oil too if I remember the manuals correctly.

You got me curious. I got the can down from the wall. Here's the instructions it has on a vintage can. Feels like a half inch in the bottom, could just be condensation from all the years. I saved the jug and a milker pump oil can from when we moved 29 years ago

IMG_20181218_075907816.jpg

IMG_20181218_075842558.jpg

My guess is since they were suggesting 10 weight oil with it that it was very similar to the first version of hytran once mixed 

IMG_20181218_075834749.jpg