Sign in to follow this  
Troll

Troll for the site:

no, you are right     not to smart. you were lucky to make it out alive, good  pictures though

the cat  looks like it took a helluva blow, around the nose cone,front end ?

Great thread guys🍻. I'm going to have to pull this up on the laptop when I get home. Phone just don't do the pics justice. Mike, I see why you are getting parts replaced also. That was one bad wreck. Glad you made it out to tell about it.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, raysflat said:

no, you are right     not to smart. you were lucky to make it out alive, good  pictures though

the cat  looks like it took a helluva blow, around the nose cone,front end ?

..the Cat   did take some punishment !!......broke  the "  C"    frame...broke the rams  (spears).....pushed grille into radiator...sort off distorted the ram mounts  also......needless to say, the Caterpillar's   owner was less than pleased  with me......as in NZ our carriers   liability    was ..."per package"......(this without taking out special cover etc )..hence the D6 was deemed to be "one package "...thus the payout was minimal...in respect of the total damage repair cost....

Not my finest hour..I'm afraid...sigh

Mike

...couple of pictures !....one is a nice old Mack, restored up at our local   Vintage  Tractor /Truck Club   place...the other is a picture of the Buzzard, a local  bloke painted for me.....The "W"   symbol is the logo  of the Westpac Bank.......and as a lot of you blokes would know, Bank Managers  can be  absolute  ...you know what...... at times.......hence the little tribute to my local branch of the Westpac  Bank.    Some of the junior staff  were amused.....others not

Mike

B61 mack.jpg

post-157-1202931059.jpg

• Like 1

.......ran two   2624  Mercs            (260 HP/   24 tons gross).......two 6x4's........they were excellent  'off highway "   trucks....good clearance, six rod suspension which is as good as any for  gravelling  muddy  Forestry  roads....Still had  a bunch of Australian   Internationals  then.......and sadly  the ubiquitous  "Hendrickson " suspension , that IH used, was bloody hopeless   ...when the going got wet.......The only redeeming feature those trucks had was , new, they came with 392cube V8's...petrol engines.........and for the application that   I was using them for, the very low front axle tare , offset the  disadvantages of   the  Hendrickson     rear end....... Yes, they were thirsty on petrol, but used in the "Off highway "   Forest Service  situation, only  (!!)....some of the feul "Tax"    was recoverable.......with a plethora of  supporting   paper work.....

Eventually a  really nice American   bloke who was a' wheel 'in International   Harvester   NZ Ltd, by the  name  of Harry Oliver organised 555 Cummins , with Alison  Auto's ,to replace the 392's......  had a great run with them..but the front axle tare weight advantage was lost...

At about that time I was in the market  for three new 6x4's....Mercedes Benz   were pushing me......The Australian   "S" line normal   control appealed.......but Mack   , were offering good deals  on trades......bringing CKD   trucks into NZ.....then building them up here......And, the most important feature......made in Allentown PA, AMERICAN     made ......thus, my choice !!

A picture of one of the Mercs...doing some slow, but illegal   cartage  of a Hitachi Excavator........and one of the Australian 6x4 IH...gravel  !!

Mike

post-157-1202930897.jpg

post-157-1221037446.jpg

.....few more pictures.......Mack  bringing out native logs from the North West Coast of the South Island of NZ....  Case 850   loading rock , for river protection.......an overweight  shift of a D5 on the AACO  1950.........The old BTD6 loader , on the C1800, heading for the trade in shop........traded it on a Z125    track loader........picking up the dreaded hay (cartage)...with two of my visiting American friends .......(they came out for hunting...they reminded me.....not picking up hay ..)........and  an IH 1910   on gravel duties for Forestry

Mike

post-157-1162019661    mack.jpg

post-157-1158221230  case1910.jpg

post-157-1158221335  1910.jpg

post-157-1158221915  C1800.jpg

post-157-1214987166.jpg

post-157-1221036757.jpg

.......one of the (my)  early ''hunting trucks "........in a bit of a sweat..... Had several old trucks like this......American  pickups.......:rolleyes::mellow:.......here are some  different  ones.......Nash. Buick  Rugby  Chevrolet...x2

Mike

post-157-1168505611  rugby tr.jpg

post-157-0-68005400-1458721242.jpg

post-157-0-41334300-1458717848.jpg

post-157-1161486063     allis g.jpg

post-157-1162625658  Les H...2.jpg

post-157-1177652420 chris ...2.jpg

post-157-1258538202.jpg

post-157-1259308066.jpg

• Like 2