Sign in to follow this  
Troll

Troll for the site:

I recommend checking your front frame rails on the 4200. Check at the rear mounts of the front leaf springs. They have a tendency to crack

I will look over this frame from underneath this next week. I've seen/repaired several truck frames in the areas you mention in the past.

Yeah Mike. I always liked the 612 series with the "Cool Power" intercooler as I've heard it called. This one is original with a new set of "Remack" heads installed several years ago. Not an oil burner but the truck is just "loose" from years of use and abuse. It runs very well still. Easy one to rebuild and I'm still undecided. Not really rotted out but minor rust would be better stated as everyone's interpretation is different. Brakes and front end are needing attention too. Worst part of the truck is the 13 speed trans is worn in and out. Really is a screamer in the low range and very quiet in the high range. I have a couple of 13 speed Fuller's in the shop with no purpose but I'm getting lazy I suppose. I purchased this truck for the engine really for a B-61 transplant but never did it and it's still an option. The splitter on the back of the transmission was chewed up pretty good and the clutch was shot. I'm talking to the point I had the truck trailered to my place. I installed a donor rear section and a used clutch about a dozen years ago and it's been that way since. Still operates fine; just noisy in operation.

This one does have the ESI package:

image.jpeg.c8c121dc84547da539735ed379f52113.jpeg

image.jpeg.7f36c9df4a5bb0c0d86a8a0f86a66da9.jpeg

I always wanted to get one of those cab visors which were common in NZ and Australia but never could come across one. Same with the dual headlamps. Was always going to convert one but never did.

Here is my "Water Wagon". I still use this one filling pools, livestock tanks, and roads when needed:

image.jpeg.bef45f5ca2dc0aa419f0a73eba7c4f2f.jpeg

That one still has it's V8 Mack engine installed and runs well. Don't run it too hard or often as parts for those engines are scarce. I have a spare donor engine acquired just for that purpose citing the lack of parts availability.

I also have a nice radiator shutter assembly. I enjoy seeing the pictures of the trucks you guys are posting 

Thanks, I like pictures of trucks too that are actually owned or working. Internet screen grabs really do nothing for me. If you guys don't mind Mack predominately,  I have a bunch of photos I'll post every now and then. I've been working on trucks since the mid-1970s.

My poor girl "Fred". 

My dumb ass stuck the skid steer forks into the radiator last summer being too lazy to start and move the truck. 

Wasn't too happy w/myself over that one..... 

20180806_201357.jpg

G'day    Troll.......you were a bit rough on the old  R190...or whatever it was !!...It happens  ,only when you are in a hurry...........

Re your "water wagon"......friend of mine ran an ultra liner V8   eight wheeler (cab over )   on logs.......four axle trailer on its back.....never had a very good run out of it...he called it "The Pus Bucket"......a certainly less than endearing term.....It was a shocker to ride in..rough as guts...either loaded or empty.

Contracting  crew I worked with  brought a conventional   V8  tractor......he actually was the son of the "Boss"...and as such  dressed this Mack up...of course I can't find a pic of it at the moment...but it was a sweet looking truck....I used to run it on the weekends......doing about an hour or so over legal logbook  times...carting produce to Port Timaru...mainly  butter..in huge blocks....and back loading with  apples   (in bins  )....to the factory in Nelson.  It was a brute .....but with our roads.....you had to "sling shot "  it to pass  slower traffic......The same company had Australian built  "S"  line conventionals.......running   those 440  HP   Cummins......far nicer to drive than the SuperLiner.....but not the HP...lot of hills in NZ !   and no where as good looking !

I had  forestry  contracts for many years......started with Australian   built   555 Cummins powered  4 x2   and 6x2   trucks......Saturday, late loading firewood with the  Michigan  ....and a  forty year old photo .....with 1972   Perkins powered   Aussie built four wheeler ......IH track loader in background

Mike

post-157-1215507026.jpg

post-157-1214987017.jpg

Poor Fred is pretty rough but wasn't too clean when purchased back in 1984 as a single axle tractor. Sure runs good though. Was stacking cars on a scrap trailer in the wind as a front was blowing through and wind blew the truck over with a car suspended from the hook. I jumped clear as it went over but left door was crushed and floor pan buckled so never repaired. Rolled it back onto it's wheels with the skid loader, checked the oil and started back up after removing the door with a torch. 

The Super liner was a nice line of truck and when they had the 450 and 500 plus hp V8 engines, were a **** of a horse. The Cummins 440, or 444 was a great engine too. I've not worked on much Cummins myself other than maintenance items. The 555 Cummins engines were not too fondly remembered around here as parts were expensive and seemingly difficult to get in a hurry.

Like seeing the trucks at work and being worked with. Remember Michigan loader quite well as used to work around coal mining in the area and did some welding on them and IH dozers, scrapers, pans, blades, buckets, etc. Mines are all gone now. 

Remember the 1693TA Caterpillar engines? I have two. One is in a 1978 Mack RL755LST tractor, and the other is from an Oshkosh airport crash truck. Both run well and are are projects in the shop. I don't have photos on my cell phone but will try to remember to post a couple of that one when back home. Always liked those engines and had their own sound.

Found another photo on the phone. This has been the handiest of things through the years when working outside the shop. Boom swings 90 degrees to either side. Old, but always at the ready. Have swung a lot of engines and cabs over the years before the shop and gantry crane, along with a forklift. 

20180929_162950.jpg

20180929_163008.jpg

G'day Troll......I can now see why Fred laid over  whilst swinging a car  etc.......and I imagine it was a car........  a proper car......not a box made out of recycled toothpaste tubes like most of the rice burners out here.........

Here is a picture of an International  truck...actually posted in Coffee shop  for one of the blokes who was alluding   to the value of ancient "Kauri"  logs in NZ

Mike

post-157-1164434463   kauri log.jpg

It was a Chrysler New Yorker which WAS a large car before the mark was castrated to compete with other's. Ole "Fred" gets a bit light on the steer but I always block her up at the rear and have aluminum pads the outriggers to bear against when in use. It was soft from fresh excavation where I'd taken an old barn down and dug out the foundations and when the wind picked up it pushed the truck right over. Wouldn't have been no nevermind had that car been only about a couple foot from the ground but it was almost 10 feet and in the middle of a swing to set it on top of another car on the trailer. My wife says she has a paper photo of "Fred" on her side, so I'll scan that once I figger how to use the new unit.

It that truck a smaller R-120, R-130, or "S" series of the same type naming convention? There is still one around here but not twin screw or tandem but rather single drive. I like that log bunk but what is that in the center, a differential in a banjo housing? Is that bunk trailer powered by a hydraulic pump on the truck? I've heard of the setup but never seen one.

Troll.... re the 'jinker'.....(trailer  ! ).....I reckon that simply..the axles are a complete tandem  set up.....off an ex-military  WW2 Ford...those  ''hoses' will be for electrics  on the jinker and possibly a vacuum line for a remote master cylinder for the trailer brakes......it certainly would not have had air brakes..in that era..there were a bunch of military surplus  trucks available far beyond the year that the picture was taken....  as pictured below..

The Inter truck would be maxed out, weight  wise !!

Mike

post-157-1202462435.jpg

Ahh, that make sense Mike and thanks. I've built several trailers for "specialty" use using Mack "camelback" tandems and steel beam for such as moving barns. Been about 15 years since the last one but we moved a large three story wooden barn almost 1.75 miles across fields and a road using truck tandems and a D6D Caterpillar tractor for the pulling unit, a JI Case tractor backhoe for positioning, and my winch truck at times for jockeying things. Went pretty smooth once the structure was lifted and set onto the beams. Only had to cross two ditches so wasn't too bad to fill them in, timber over, then backhoe them out again. Barn did pretty well not being busted up and was set onto a new concrete foundation where it still stands today.

I made a "beam" trailer once using scrap bridge beams and a heavy Mack tandem for a guy to move older tractors. He supplied the removable neck and I incorporated that into the weldments. It worked alright but wasn't optimized for that type of work and was soon replaced by a factory built unit. Having no experience with that type trailer, I followed his advice and built what he envisioned. My part functioned well I'm told but a purpose designed unit was better. I know the newer unit was not mechanical detachment so that may have been the key?

I really like this topic, you have a great collection of old cool trucks Troll, Mike Newman as well, I hope you both have more pictures to share 

1 hour ago, IHKeith said:

I really like this topic, you have a great collection of old cool trucks Troll, Mike Newman as well, I hope you both have more pictures to share 

Thanks Keith. Wish I had something to fit among the group better but I really don't. Never really was around IH too much except an old H tractor I had for a bit and at TD-12 pipelayer purchased but never worked with. Ole "Fred" is safe as we've been together so long. Only thing I did to the H was tune it up, clean it up and someone whom seen it just had to have it. It was a wide front and I was going to use it for a mower. 

3 hours ago, IHKeith said:

G'day   IHKeith....pleased you find interest  in this topic......With   "Troll" and I......it  may get a bit off  course at times..but have lots of  " working  pic's "   of IH and Mack...but mostly  the pictures are in 35mm   'slide '  form.....thus presenting  a huge technical challenge  for an old bloke like me...sigh

Re the top picture ...page two..of the R model and its load of  Deer posts...(Deer   fencing ..).....that particular  Station where the truck is pictured......is 16,000  acres in extent......it had one swampy area....which the farm worker, on a quad bike..led me unerringly   into.....stuck...!!.I must have waited four or five hours for an old D4 Caterpillar from an adjacent farm to retrieve the truck....it was to dark for the camera, by then

Picture of IH truck with Detroit  powered winch...for the saw mill where the ex military truck and logs are pictured.....(circa  mid fifties..)...and an unknown truck with the saw mills steam winch......(circa many years earlier !!)

Mike

post-157-1202462614.jpg

post-157-1206428948.jpg

Sure wish I had my old photos but lost a gillion of them when the basement flooded a while back.

Some of my junk of which I still have all of it:

image.jpeg.db6892d3e869194cb578ce1d6cdeb2ce.jpeg

image.jpeg.a50690ec60870b592b3312146d2fbeb7.jpeg

image.jpeg.7bcfa7801db8f60d184df7e1b1aa6888.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now that you say it Mike, and looking closer at the picture with the load of posts, that does look like an area where a truck shouldn’t be driving, much too low and close to water.  What is the reason for fencing deer? 

Troll’s load of Mack behind the Dodge is quite a site, I would give extra cool points if the Dodge has a gas engine. I like the look of your water truck, it has the appearance of a good old workhorse.

I’m an IH enthusiast but not a devout purist, so I don’t mind off brand discussions.  

I’ll have to dig up some pics soon of some of the trucks we had and still have 

Well then I guess I get the "extra" points as that Dodge has a V-10 gasoline engine and automatic transmission. I bought it new and it's original at 220K on the clock and with the exception of radiator, water pump, and alternator, has not had a wrench on it. That truck on the trailer weighs 26,200# and the extra steering axle and hood panel were just over 650# and the trailer is 7300# empty.

Just a bit over weight and I snapped the photo after the 265 mile trip back to the shop.

Truck's name is "Krusty" and she's quite trusty.  

Nestor earning his keep and at the first task around the shop. My old scrap trailer sunk into the soft fill out back of the shop with the rains of recent and unseasonable warm weather. Figured since it was 18 degrees this morning it would be a good exercise for Nestor to attempt to get under the neck and move the trailer back a few feet to relatively virgin soil:

As the trailer looked yesterday afternoon:

image.jpeg.b827764d7069c156f98849071b130e52.jpeg

Figuring out how to get under it:

image.jpeg.9dc3ed7abde00e3fdef4457e622de081.jpeg

Yup, going to clear:

image.jpeg.8f952b1fa6f496e59c51c846db617d4e.jpeg

image.jpeg.560cb50d3365922ccf5d1e9d7696c6e8.jpeg

Under and latched up. First time those jaws have closed since late 1985:

image.jpeg.9b7d5b49bc847ccf5e4f35ad478a9621.jpeg

image.jpeg.1778b835df01437f3f9dac6ad5ba4640.jpeg

I really B liking that "two finger" hydraulic power steering for sure. This truck steers very easily compared to any of my Mack trucks but this one has very limited "road feel" to it so a trade off.

Ordered up a set of service manuals for the engine yesterday. There are a few differences between the V-71, and V-92 series engine so may as well have both sets. I have everything in truck working again but still haven't ordered signal lamps, tail lamps, nor headlamps which will be either switched to Halogen, or LED. With exception of the heater blower motor and passenger window motor, everything else seems operable. Both of those motors are sealed and very tight which is probably rust. Inside of the alternator was nested in pretty good by rodents so the alternator will be replaced rather than worked with. Five of the eight retention screws snapped of taking it apart so not contemplating repairing it at all:

image.jpeg.c2ad97cdee4e6265dbb965de545472c5.jpeg

image.jpeg.f3a1e5f0343cf187c8f9b792709a3388.jpeg

Fun  read!!!!

On 1/7/2019 at 9:18 AM, Troll said:

Sure wish I had my old photos but lost a gillion of them when the basement flooded a while back.

Some of my junk of which I still have all of it:

image.jpeg.db6892d3e869194cb578ce1d6cdeb2ce.jpeg

image.jpeg.a50690ec60870b592b3312146d2fbeb7.jpeg

image.jpeg.7bcfa7801db8f60d184df7e1b1aa6888.jpeg

image.jpeg

The white Mack in the first photo looks like an early 60’s.. B series ?? 

Always wanted one of those... looks to be in nice condition.. have seen a couple restored.. only makes we want one more !

What a great thread.

..well....there are lots more photos ,  to come.......

the  event below  was not one of my finest endeavours.......the Mack  pictured   after being painted etc, I made my own decks for all the trucks and younger Brother , pictured there, is a painter...thus the pose !

Anyway, was bringing a  Caterpillar  9U D6  back for a bloke,  who lived but 200  yds from this piece  of stupidity. Had the blade of the Cat  under the tractor......was slightly overweight. was late on  a Sunday    night after a two and a half hour run, and came up to a corner in the highway......didn't slow down enough....obviously......was used to the old 555   Cummins   in the Australian built Internationals.....and hit that corner to fast.....

Lucky to come out alive......The Mack bonnet   , made of fibre glass, just exploded   as it was meant to do, but the driver door took some getting off....the  fire crew took five hours to get me out of the cab........Band W picture  and the other sad looking one were taken  by a friend.......

The truck had just 22,000 Kilometers  on the mileage counter.......It was rebuilt.....in fact it was ready before I was !!

Mike

BTW...that tree stump is an Australian    "blue gum "......a very 'hard "   wood.....

post-157-1223885280.jpg

post-157-1223753672.jpg

post-157-1223885306.jpg