New to the tractor world

Rotcman446

The A was a fine tractor in its day and yours appears to be intact.

I would not spend time on  a block that has been patched-welded.  That engine was used all over the place at IHC and GOOD are out there!!

Look for a good block to be the basis of a good rebuild and not a waste of you most valuable resource, your time.

Good luck with your tractor.

20 hours ago, Rotcman446 said:

Can anyone think of (don't shoot me!) a temporary fix for the cracks that have been welded? It seems that once the tractor has warmed up the welds start "seeping" coolant... ?

Mendtite by Zecol for minor leaks...

Or KW Block Seal for major internal and external leaks.

Mendtite might work for all leaks I've heard great things about it.

There's a couple liquid glass products out there too, don't let them into your oil passages!

Either repair will hold water/coolant til you find a replacement block and if you're lucky, last until your replacement engine rusts stuck!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kffischer said:

Mendtite by Zecol for minor leaks...

Or KW Block Seal for major internal and external leaks.

Mendtite might work for all leaks I've heard great things about it.

There's a couple liquid glass products out there too, don't let them into your oil passages!

Either repair will hold water/coolant til you find a replacement block and if you're lucky, last until your replacement engine rusts stuck!

Think they'll work even though my engine is the one without a water pump?

On 12/30/2019 at 10:27 AM, Rotcman446 said:

Think they'll work even though my engine is the one without a water pump?

Don't know for sure. The block sealer needs water only to work, so I would remove the upper rad hose from the radiator ( and the t stat), drain the block, add the product through the top hose so it goes direct to engine, top off with water and run the engine per directions or until water boils out the top. Maybe leave the rad hose disconnected... You may need to modify the steps a little if the directions require a warm engine.

Mendtite I would add the same way, but you could use it with anti freeze, too and be done with it.

Double check labels or call/ email the manufacturers. Zecol=Mendtite

CRC/ KW = KW Block Seal

Karl f

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly I would try an external fix. Clean the area where it seeps up really well, and smooth on a layer of... JB Weld

We're in the "nothing to lose" realm here. I know many people consider JB Weld a "hack job" repair, but you can't hurt anything by trying. It can always be wire wheeled off and a different solution attempted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rotcman446 said:

Has anyone ever installed a rear lift on their "A" without mounting it to the fenders? Got pictures?

Are you thinking of a 3 point hitch of some kind?  That would require hydraulic power that you do not have.  A hand operated lift for small implements would be possible. 

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Are you thinking of a 3 point hitch of some kind?  That would require hydraulic power that you do not have.  A hand operated lift for small implements would be possible. 

I was thinking of something like a 3ph. I actually was thinking of using the 12 volt winch on my four wheeler.

3 hours ago, Rotcman446 said:

I was thinking of something like a 3ph. I actually was thinking of using the 12 volt winch on my four wheeler.

Nope. Can't be done.  You will obviously NEED another tractor that has said hitch...  ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

7 hours ago, Rotcman446 said:

I would suggest a 12 volt electro hydraulic pump 

my neighbor fabricated a 3 point lift on his C and operated it by running a long rod along the left side back to the rear of the tractor from the hydraulic lift portion in the center under the hood. if you run across a C you could do it

On 1/31/2020 at 10:21 PM, searcyfarms said:

my neighbor fabricated a 3 point lift on his C and operated it by running a long rod along the left side back to the rear of the tractor from the hydraulic lift portion in the center under the hood. if you run across a C you could do it

I don't have any hydraulics though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...