New to the tractor world

Rotcman446

12 hours ago, Rotcman446 said:

$20 for one push rod?!...

You can probably do better if you shop around but that doesn't seem too terrible to me. There are a lot more expensive parts yet to be purchased.

The bent ones can probably be straightened. We're not talking about a top fuel engine here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Two rods were bent, and one valve was stuck. After tapping on that one valve with a rubber mallet I got the valve to go down but it would not return. So... "Off with its head!" I said... Freed up the stuck valve by working it back and forth with the rubber mallet. I niw had the chance to inspect the head and block a bit. On the head there apparently was a crack that followed the coolant passages. These cracks were welded fairly neatly. On the block was a similar crack and the same was done to it. I was told that the tractor ran before it seized...  There was about a gallon of clear water that came out with the engine oil (no green antifreeze). And despite my earlier assumptions there was 2-3 gallons of coolant in it when i pulled the drain plug (green w/no oil). The cylinders and pistons were not as bad as I thought. And after a few passes with a ~400 grit cylinder hone cleaned up nicely. I put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to free up any stuck rings (don't have a compression tester)...

download_20190504_160048.jpg

• Like 5

I see your training your help......

Looks good, hopefully it won't take much to get it in use again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those will probably work but for $336.00 you can get an in frame kit...

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Farmall-A_Basic-In-Frame-Engine-Kit-with-Flat-Head-Pistons_BIFH1150.html

I suspect you are the fellow that I talked ton on CL last week.  I tried to do something similar with my A way back when.  I got it to run but it never ran well, it also developed a O-Ring/Sleeve leak after a while.  I got frustrated and did a complete rebuild, not saying you have to got top to bottom but considering how those pistons look I would hate for you to throw money away on those rings.  Do the kit and at the very least you know that part of the engine is in good nick.

What do the bearings & journals look like?

K

• 6 months later...

WAY TO GO!!!!!

You and your help are doing an amazing job - sounds like you are going to be in business we cant wait to hear you have it running - hopefully you have had the carb soaking while you have been working on it, im sure it needed it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

WAY TO GO!!!!!

You and your help are doing an amazing job - sounds like you are going to be in business we cant wait to hear you have it running - hopefully you have had the carb soaking while you have been working on it, im sure it needed it. 

I haven't been soaking the carb... But maybe I should...

• 2 weeks later...

Time to clean the fuel tank and everything downstream of it ?

Tank, Fuel bowl, lines, carburetor and she will run , Great Job so far

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:19 PM, Rotcman446 said:

$20 for one push rod?!...

Welcome to the world of tractors!  They're never cheap to fix, but an IH will be your lowest cost of ownership.  Looks like your help is eagerly awaiting for you to get it in operating condition :-)  There's some good advice on here for you already, I hope that you can get it running smoothly without a complete rebuild, but if you must rebuild at least you'll know it will be good to go for decades!