1993 4700 7.3 bleeding fuel system.

Changed the fuel filter on the 7.3. What's the best way to bleed the air out of the system? Didn't have enough battery to try starting today. Should  I open all the injector lines and spin until I get fuel? Thanks. This is foreign territory for me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 10:51 PM, Dave Shepard said:

Changed the fuel filter on the 7.3. What's the best way to bleed the air out of the system? Didn't have enough battery to try starting today. Should  I open all the injector lines and spin until I get fuel? Thanks. This is foreign territory for me. 

No, you don't need to break any injector lines loose. Just prefill your filters and water separator  before buttoning everything up. You can remove the air cleaner and spray WD-40 into the intake manifold and it will start faster, but usually if both batteries are good in the truck it will crank about 15-20 seconds and fire off. Can't remember if the 93's had a "Schrader" type valve on the side of the filter housings or not, but if so, take them loose and crank engine till you see fuel spraying from them. The lift, and injection pump will purge the air through the injectors picking each cylinder up individually till all eight are firing again.

Thanks. I didn't end up being the one to get it running. There was over an inch of ice in the tank. We think it was a farewell gift from an employee that went a bit nuts last year. Drained system and I guess it started up well. 

5 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Thanks. I didn't end up being the one to get it running. There was over an inch of ice in the tank. We think it was a farewell gift from an employee that went a bit nuts last year. Drained system and I guess it started up well. 

Used to hate that with disgruntled employees at the shops. I always kept vehicles indoors in the off hours so never really had a problem but security cameras worked several times in my favor.....