IH 1456 official winter project

Curious as to why the hydraulic seat base is red?  Was it repainted in the past?  Does anyone repop that shield that wraps the base?  I just finished machining all the parts to tighten up my tilt wheel while the column was off for the TA, hopefully over Christmas I can get it back together.  Just have to go through the F-N-R cover yet.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found some fenders for it. 

She's a speed demon. It will scoot on down the road. Drives alot better with new spindle bushings and tight spindles and steering arms. Still tinkering with it. Have a RH radiator side panel on the wa

Started to rebuild tilt steering bracket and reseal hand pump but some cowboy rocket scientists welded the yoke to the splined hand pump shaft. The whole shebang has to be replaced. Gutted the torched

Posted Images

Guy i bought it from bought it from a Jockey in 2000. He said it was repainted then and they just spray bombed it. Dash panels, axles, seat suspension were just spray bombed! Front and rear rims sprayed white and rear clamps put on without a care in the world. The 12/16 hole pattern just destroys some peoples brain. Bates has the hyd seat shield. Ive burned through all of mine and need another too. This 1456 was a cadillac back in its day for a Texas Blackland tractor. TA, tilt steering, Hyd Seat, 10.00-16. Someone had rebuilt the tilt on this one before and added a grease zert. 1st ive brought in with that. 

• Like 1

Installed New spindle bushings, good used HD spindles, good used steering arms. Narrowed in and adjusted tow in. Narrowed in rear wheels as well and moved rim clamps to inside of wheel. The knee pin hole the guy was running on 36" center was wore bad. He Never bothered to check or fix it. Did make narrowing in the front axle very easy. It was already loose. 

20181221_153153.jpg

20181221_153146.jpg

20181222_104652.jpg

• Like 1

Started to rebuild tilt steering bracket and reseal hand pump but some cowboy rocket scientists welded the yoke to the splined hand pump shaft. The whole shebang has to be replaced. Gutted the torched on hyd seat suspension and installed new bushings. Seems to take 2-3 hyd suspensions to make 1 good one these days. Starting to clean up well. 

20181223_170026.jpg

20181223_170037.jpg

20181223_170108.jpg

• Like 4

I painted a 1466 for a guy years ago.  I put the wheel wedges on the outside, but painted them black.  At first, the guy didn't know what to think.... but he got a lot of positive comments about them and decided he really liked it.  Said it added something different to the tractor.  

Nice work on your 14!  I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen one with the sockets for the hood mounted lights on it.  Maybe because it had a cab?  

On your PS handpump.... our old 856 got the dash tower ran over by a hay bale.  (Operator too, but he is ok.  Beat up.pretty bad, but ok.)  This was years ago by the way.  Anyway, when I was fixing it, I think the splines were pretty wore out and I needed parts.  They were either insane expensive or NLA, I don't recall.  As memory serves, a handpump from a combine was the same, so we used one.  I *think* it was off an 1400 series.  Might do some checking into that if you need good used parts. 

Side mounted lights were very common here on 06-26-56 series. Alot were factory fender delete or even with fenders they were removed to run mounted cotton strippers and side lights was it. Ive had several IHs with the side lights. I have a few spare hand pumps. Tilts only fit tilts and non tilt only fits non tilt. Pumps are the same but shafts are different. As for the rim clamps i want them out of sight. Being on the outside it places the nut on the inside and set on 30" centers it makes it harder to tighten them. 

• Like 1

I didn't look to see where you are from.  I've never been around cotton.  I think cotton equipment is really neat to see.  

I  know the tilt/non tilt pumps are different.  I know what the differences are.  But thanks for listing them for those who don't. 

I wasn't suggesting you change your clamps to.the outside.  I was only making a statement.  I know where that locates the nuts.  I don't think for the 2 times you have to tighten them, it's no big deal.  The first time, and possibly a second to check them.  I've never had those work loose.  

I'll just sit back and watch now.  Nice work! 

Maybe it is just the fact that it is wet, but that paint looks amazing!  I have power washed repainted tractors before and the cheap paint peeled off and the old paint looked really good underneath.  Don't know if that was the case this time or not. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great! The gauges look like they have an emerald green tint. Is that what factory gauges look like? Is it just the photo that's giving that effect? I've followed a few of your builds and I would guess you do not install upgrades that were not factory. I've got a few of the 66 series tractors but the lights do not work on any of them and I've never seen IH gauges lit up. Thanks for any info.

16 hours ago, MarkG said:

Looks great! The gauges look like they have an emerald green tint. Is that what factory gauges look like? Is it just the photo that's giving that effect? I've followed a few of your builds and I would guess you do not install upgrades that were not factory. I've got a few of the 66 series tractors but the lights do not work on any of them and I've never seen IH gauges lit up. Thanks for any info.

Yes factory green back lit gauges.  Clear bulb, but green inside the gauges. 

• Like 1

She's a speed demon. It will scoot on down the road. Drives alot better with new spindle bushings and tight spindles and steering arms. Still tinkering with it. Have a RH radiator side panel on the way. Picked up a. 10 hole weight bracket and 7 75lbs weights for it. Need to pull shifter top plate and see if detents or spring is gone. No clicky when it shifts H-L. Starting to look decent. 

20190116_171545.jpg

20190116_171606.jpg

20190116_172852.jpg

• Like 6

Brian always says he has to many, maybe he could give us some to pass around and share? Or keep safe for him while he hunts down more? What do you think Brian? 😬

You should be proud that all those tractors are still a live and well!! You have rescued quite a few nice tractors! Keep up the good work.  

• Like 1
On 12/23/2018 at 9:26 PM, Long Farms said:

Id like to see the buck who can hand crank a 407. 

I can guarantee i wouldnt mess with the guy that can do that! I would hope i could run faster scared than he could mad!