2+2's, what to look for

Local farmer has a 2+2 for sale, IH 3588.  It looks in pretty good shape, and was thinking of taking a look at it.  Just was wondering if there are any weak spots or issues I should look out for?  There aren't a lot of them in my area, so I really don't have any experiences  I've heard pivots can be an issue if not greased regularly along with the hoses and universal joints in the pivot.  Anything else I should be aware of?  Looking at using it for pulling a 9 shank IH 6000 Conser-Till.

1 hour ago, farmallman77 said:

Front axle assemby parts are hard to come by if they break.  

Chris

X2. Any tractor of that age could have many issues if not from a good home...even then you never know.

Take a good look at hoses, wires and rams in the pivot area. See if everything is neat and not rubbing. With the tractor running have someone wiggle the stearing wheel watch ram ends and pivot area to see any problems. Watch the hood close for alignment. On the front axle left side is a dip stick pull it and check oil. Everything else is just like any other international tractor. 

Please post pictures.

Another thing, crawl underneath and push up and down on the driveshaft going to the front differential and watch the yoke coming out of it for any movement. Mine had a pinion bearing starting to fail and thankful I caught it in time.

Chad    I bought one had to have it. Developed a noise in trans  sounded like a dozer. Trying to find the noise showed drive shafts and u joints worn out. Tractor runs good so $. Then thinking it was ok to run , coupling between engine and drive shaft spins out   more $. finally get in the field clutch slips occasionally frixed that to. Long story short cost way more to make it a dependable tractor than I paid for it. I love it but financially its going to have to work for many hours to get back to even. I have 20 K in it . Everything works its very enjoyable  needs tires