806 man

Broken bolt in bell housing

3 hours ago, 806 man said:

26B99BA4-EAD9-4764-87A5-9DCF336EACAA.thumb.jpeg.8627c1ab59b9fb7cc0b734d82cb99e9c.jpegWell finally decided to pull bell housing after 3 failed attempts to remove broken bolt.   Cat wants $4,000.00 for new.  Aftermarket junk is 12-$1,400 . If I can’t get it out might be better getting used OEM???   Need some ideas on next move to try to salvage bell housing by cutting bolt out.

F7F8A5C9-B3C3-4F76-87CB-34152AF4A57F.jpeg

D4DD49C0-2D85-4ED2-8C11-273FF4450733.jpeg

885FC6C3-3A14-4C74-9FF3-AF898AF01D16.jpeg

I want your hoist

2 hours ago, 806 man said:

The broken bolt along with broken easy out (Oxy moron) and extracting rod gob it on weld are still in the top right hole.☹️

Ha! On a quick glance it looks like you can see right through, which is impossible since it's a blind hole. I think, though, that you have a better chance now that it's accessible.

Even with shipping it may be worth it to send here: http://brokentap.com/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Ha! On a quick glance it looks like you can see right through, which is impossible since it's a blind hole. I think, though, that you have a better chance now that it's accessible.

Even with shipping it may be worth it to send here: http://brokentap.com/

Wonder if someone in Everett would have something?  With all the Boeing subs etc youd think someone have a EMD to 'burn' it out.

Just wrap the bellhousing with flex seal tape, I mean the dude in the commercial built a big go cart with it...,lol

18 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Just wrap the bellhousing with flex seal tape, I mean the dude in the commercial built a big go cart with it...,lol

Jass,  You should have offered up this amazing solution BEFORE the all the work to remove the bell housing was done.😦

On 1/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, dale560 said:

I want your hoist

Some of the best money I have ever spent.  Comes in right behind my first marriage which ended 12 years ago.

Take it to a machinist and have him fix it.  Simple and cheaper than replacing.

2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Take it to a machinist and have him fix it.  Simple and cheaper than replacing.

At this point that might be the best way out.

I can understand tackling it yourself if time or cash money is a factor, but at the end of the day you might be money ahead to drive it to someone that can mill it out/EDM it out.

You already have the hard part done of getting the bellhousing out, and you have to put A bellhousing in, be it this one or another one.

I would inspect all of the threads and consider putting inserts into any threads that are the least bit questionable so that you do not have to go about this again .

Today I called a used parts truck yard on a housing they had advertised. Turned out it wasn't the correct part so the guy says he can get me a new one, I told him I didn't want a off shore cheap knock off that I would prefer a good used Cat housing.  I asked if it was made in the USA, The guy claimed it was made in the USA and they have had no complaints so this unit is being shipped to me. Price was $850.00 so not sure what to think till i see it.

• Like 1