These 68s are just getting to high

Hydro70

Just a old working tractor in it working clothes, nothing special, nothing great, just a ordinary run of the mill tractor but they still got this one priced at $21,000 aint that kinda outta this world to high and all them 68s are priced pretty outrageous

21,000.jpg

3 hours ago, R Pope said:

Worst excuse for an engine ever built!

Oh, there have been a couple engines that make the DV-550 look great in comparison, like the Detroit 8.2L Fuel Pincher I think they called it.  And the GMC Toro-Flow had a pretty bad reputation too back in the 1960's.  Then the 5.7L, 6.2L and early 6.5L GM diesels, before the DuraMax.  Guess there was a 4.3L V6 too.

1 hour ago, ky966boy said:

15 years ago they where 3or 4 grand around here

I know one dealer that used to get V-8’s in on trade for pennies on the dollar with a blown engine.  They would buy rusted out school buses, scrap the body, overhaul the DT466 for installation into the tractor, then come out smelling like a rose.

V-8 aficionados everywhere would be upset, but it penciled out for the dealership.

I know that the dealership also sold IHC Trucks and Travelalls, so it is possible that they were selling school buses also, taking the old ones in on trade......

Are those 20.8-38’s? Better not try to sock much of a primary tillage implement in the ground behind that thing. The V-8 will fall flat on it’s face. I think it’s over priced. 

As a kid a seen several of those taken to school with 1466s and 1086s . They were junk and sold and traded . Couldn't hardly get a bid at auctions in the early eightys.

10 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

They all keep goin up! And i think the trend will keep goin up! 

Agreed. They aren't making them anymore. Some are probably happy about that, others not so much. If someone offered me $21,000 for mine I'd laugh in their face. But I'm different than most and I'm ok with that.

A couple years ago the V8's were the "hot" collector item. No collection was complete without one. Not so much anymore. Everyone that wanted one, pretty much has one. This guy still thinks he has a golden shoebox. 

I mean, a painted and polished one will still bring good money, but you're not going to get $21K out of one covered in manure in its work clothes.

19 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

They all keep goin up! And i think the trend will keep goin up! 

I guess it's okay to be optimistic, but the farmers with the interest and the cash to collect these are getting farther and fewer between. The '68 series collecting was also a short-lived fad.

I'm just waiting for the 15's to get hot, then I'm gonna cash in :)

Back in 1990 when I bought the 4586 off of Randall Bros, Lee always had a few of those 1468s around and a occasional 1568. 4500 to 5000.00. Lol.

It also looks like this one had a cab on it at one time- looking at the hood sheet metal ahead of the steering wheel, and also the white 1206 fenders. I’d also be afraid that thing could be a ticking time bomb as far as the engine goes. Who knows....

What always  kills me is that people think their own experiences are gospel.I have no doubt that ANY engine,component,or machine can fail prematurely at any time depending on conditions and OPERATOR.I how ever don't believe labeling one engine or brand of tractor junk.I believe that manufactures do not put out a machine ,after all the testing they  do to have them destined to fail.I believe that people with knowledge and desire can get engines ,tractors and machines to perform where others can't.To label this 1468 junk ,ticking time bomb is just ridiculous. If you dont like them don't own one.

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

What always  kills me is that people think their own experiences are gospel.I have no doubt that ANY engine,component,or machine can fail prematurely at any time depending on conditions and OPERATOR.I how ever don't believe labeling one engine or brand of tractor junk.I believe that manufactures do not put out a machine ,after all the testing they  do to have them destined to fail.I believe that people with knowledge and desire can get engines ,tractors and machines to perform where others can't.To label this 1468 junk ,ticking time bomb is just ridiculous. If you dont like them don't own one.

They put a truck engine in a tractor because of the big v8 races back during that time.  It was all about stacks and v8s.   Very thrown together not well thought out.  And my father has been an ih mechanic for literally forever.  He can label a tractor junk or an engine junk and I believe him.  Like the rear main seals on early magnums.  Not a bad tractor or engine.  Now the 68 series engines...  junk.  Best way to ruin a 66 series. 

Chris 

Since they are junk, if anyone has one they don't want, I'll offer my services to take said junk tractor and properly love it like it should be! :)

They do look cool, and I think most all of them are now retired to a life of ease and parades.  I've never seen one in the field actually working. 

I wouldn't mind to have one as a conversation piece! 😍

I had 3 DV550's in a Loadstar. None went long. All three cracked the bottom of a rear cylinder, diagonally, at the bottom of the cylinder. Antifreeze trickled down on the rear main and the bearing turned in the block. Wrecked the whole thing. I got smart and put a 466 in the truck. Funny, the gas 549 was a good engine till they made it into a diesel.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, B.B. said:

Since they are junk, if anyone has one they don't want, I'll offer my services to take said junk tractor and properly love it like it should be! :)

They do look cool, and I think most all of them are now retired to a life of ease and parades.  I've never seen one in the field actually working. 

I wouldn't mind to have one as a conversation piece! 😍

I'm with you B.B., any of the ones you don't take to love, I will. I wouldn't call them junk at all. Know of a few still going that have never been apart. Goes right back to that having a brain in your head thing and something about anvils being busted.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, B.B. said:

I dated a girl before I met my wife whose father had one along with lots of other IH tractors. None were show queens and they got used. Theirs was a primary auger tractor every year on the farm. They had a 1568 back when they were new but the gearing wasn’t right for tillage work he said which is a common story.  A neighbor of theirs had and used one also. No matter what your opinion is on the engine the sound of a large cube V8 is impressive in my book. I like the sound of a Mack Superliner V8 also and a NA 7.3 diesel. The roar isnt practical for prolonged use unless you are a Belltone salesman though.....

Someone sent me this internet pic of a 14/1568 tonight. The noise might have scared the crap right out of that honey wagon. 

95DA8DD7-C645-4771-9AB6-7053F71E18F7.jpeg

Archived