560Dennis

Ge stock

It's too bad that companies that actually research, design, and then produce tangible products are in trouble whereas pixie dust businesses (FB, Amazon, etc.) are deemed to be more successful and worth more $$. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It seems there are more companies then ever in trouble during recent years.  It is sad to see.  I have to agree with Atilla that it is difficult to understand the wealth made in facebook and other "pixie dust"companies.  Im going to exclude Amazon from the pixie dust. They providing a measurable service. Probably the most successful measurable service around!

• Like 1

I  be wrong but manufacturers like GE are tanking . 

Core business are gone , lighting, transportation, motors, appliances, tv, capital, medical etc ,none are gearing up to move on . 

Shame

GE starting down this path years ago with a liberal miss guided CEO that was making crazy unreasonable decisions, this has been in the works for a long time and now this company is about destroyed because of this new age ridiculousness!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superih said:

GE starting down this path years ago with a liberal miss guided CEO that was making crazy unreasonable decisions, this has been in the works for a long time and now this company is about destroyed because of this new age ridiculousness!

Poor timing and expensive Mergers and aquisitions. They need to get themselves realigned.

• Like 1

A lesson for all companies Like IH they didn't stick to their knitting and push their manufacturing. Instead they got into finance business and lost their shirt on it eventually. IH got into the construction business heavily and lost their shirt under McCaffery's direction. 

Sounds a whole lot like IHC #2?

Corporate board rooms think they are too big to fail.

IH was wrong, so why is GE any different?

I inherited a lot of GE stock from my Mother when she passed away. Dad passed before her. I was quite thankful, and excited about inheriting their stock  at the time. Now all it is is a F’ing joke. Really pissed off about it now. I remember Dad always bragging about his GE stock years ago. Guess I’ll just hang on to it and wait and see what happens. 

Isn’t GE doing well with their jet engine business? They didn’t sell their jet engines off did they? Boeing has jetliner orders up the kazoo and I think they use a lot of GE jet engines. 

7 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

I inherited a lot of GE stock from my Mother when she passed away. Dad passed before her. I was quite thankful, and excited about it at the time. Now all it is is a F’ing joke. Really pissed off about it now. I remember Dad always bragging about his GE stock years ago. Guess I’ll just hang on to it and wait and see what happens. 

I also inherited GE and was gifted some by my Grand parents in the late sixties as a "gift to minors act" or something like that and received more when they passed away in 1987. Did very well through the nineties to early 2000's. Once Jack Welch retired it was down hill from there, the $100 a share days and high percentage yield known as the "Welch Dividend" disappeared.

I sold it all 3 years ago and looking at it now.....good move!

IH was the first thing I thought of when it was announced that GE would pull out of lighting, something they were synonymous for.

I can't think of the guys name that was put in charge but I thought there goes GE when I saw the agenda he was pushing.  He started selling off divisions not because they were losers but they weren't making enough money.  When they sold off GE Plastics to the Saudi's I knew they were done.  Wonder where all that cash was funneled?

13 minutes ago, superih said:

He started selling off divisions not because they were losers but they weren't making enough money. 

Boom. Said it right there. Stock value is everything. Wall Street looks at quarterly's. Trying to get a brick and mortar stock to complete with tech stocks in the marketplace. Milk it dry and the Hedge funds smile. Used to be a small percentage of Americans were stockholders(the investor class) now something like 50% of us are in. Stocks in the age of consumerism. New and shiny sells.

3 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

.  Im going to exclude Amazon from the pixie dust. They providing a measurable service. Probably the most successful measurable service around!

still pixie how ,little of the value equates to the brick and mortar it does take for the whole thing to work?

the only thing measurable is they inflate prices,99.95 % I can get it cheaper and free shipping,and their points are nearly as worthless as airline points.

But it is steroid Sears catalog for 21st century,where  60% + they never source or touch the item just take the $$$ fees in a sell thru

I always found it ironic that Sears and Roebuck started out as a mail order catalog, went brick and mortar,  then were bankrupted by the "new" mail order catalog business known as Amazon.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I always found it ironic that Sears and Roebuck started out as a mail order catalog, went brick and mortar,  then were bankrupted by the "new" mail order catalog business known as Amazon.

X2.  The store that put everyone out of buisiness 100 years ago with the new and innovative marketing gets put out by a store with new and innovative markets

19 hours ago, George 2 said:

A lesson for all companies Like IH they didn't stick to their knitting and push their manufacturing. Instead they got into finance business and lost their shirt on it eventually. IH got into the construction business heavily and lost their shirt under McCaffery's direction. 

IIRC theygot into wind turbines too

On 12/8/2018 at 10:38 PM, BOBSIH856 said:

Poor timing and expensive Mergers and aquisitions. They need to get themselves realigned.

Wife went a couple years where every company she went to work for got bought up by GE Medical.  They had a play book they followed on how to take over the new company, 6 to 9 people came in, decided who stayed and who would leave. Wife was Payroll, they ALWAYS were told they would leave by such and such a day.

We stopped buying GE Anything about 10 years ago.  Wife bought a GE electric skillet, burned anything and everything you cooked in it. Threw it out 3-4 weeks after buying it.

Sad they aren't doing well.  GE was my pick to buy up Deere & Company and  nurse them into insolvency.

• Haha 4

A few of these companies  hired overpaid CEO's and paid outrageous commissions bonus's and pensions plus golden parachutes when they left the board of directors weren't any better the companies were being raped and pilegded   by corrupt bigwig's from wall street they are reaping what they sowed I say let the tail go with the hide 

Today it seems to me that it’s generally ten years for a company cradle to grave . If management does not create the customer driven wants business and needs it first started out with. 

Like what going with the lighting 

Look at lighting  incandescent to fluorescent , photo flash, Mercury vapor ,sodium , to shorten this up led. 100 years 

today wilh technologies it’s ten years?

GE stock might be a bargain buy right now. Trading around $6-7 might dip lower but when they get things turned around should see section upside.