Pete0179

T-340 vs t-340a

My reading on these forums has led me to believe that a t-340 crawler engine is different from a t-340a crawler engine .is my understanding correct that the later version the "a" has more horsepower and also a different block configuration even though they are are both considered to be a c-135 engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

I going off memory which is not a good idea

I think there was a larger ci engine offered in later models, maybe 170 ci or so

don't think the power changed much in C-135's  but for sure there was several blocks for that engine size round bell and squareish  bell and then a front mtd starter version is three that I can remember

ed

All T-340 and T-340A's used the C135 engine, there was a change in the block at engine serial #100501 and up. The starter mounts in the Clutch housing on the left side toward the rear on both. Horse power ratings are the same for both engines. You can tell the later blocks by the oil dipstick, the early engines use a slip in dipstick, the later engines use a larger diameter tube with a dipstick that locks in by an expanding rubber piece turned with a Tee handle on top of the dipstick. Some parts are interchangeable, the cams are the same, the cam bearings are different, the later engines use a one piece rear oil seal, the early engines use a two piece, crankshaft and flywheels are different, the early engines use 9 head bolts, the later use 14.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, louie figone said:

All T-340 and T-340A's used the C135 engine, there was a change in the block at engine serial #100501 and up. The starter mounts in the Clutch housing on the left side toward the rear on both. Horse power ratings are the same for both engines. You can tell the later blocks by the oil dipstick, the early engines use a slip in dipstick, the later engines use a larger diameter tube with a dipstick that locks in by an expanding rubber piece turned with a Tee handle on top of the dipstick. Some parts are interchangeable, the cams are the same, the cam bearings are different, the later engines use a one piece rear oil seal, the early engines use a two piece, crankshaft and flywheels are different, the early engines use 9 head bolts, the later use 14.

Louie   ....as some are looking on the other page   what have you found for kits

I have heard from others you cant get the tall piston  and  the cheap MFG/retailers have placed a $300 premium on the regular kits..?

Sorry haven't been here in awhile. Thank you everyone for the info. From what you guys are saying my idea of using the cylinder head from my t-340 on a t-340a will not  work. pardon my stupidity I never checked amount of head bolts from engine to engine I just assumed they would be the same.

do look it over/count bolts  as the change is above 100500 on the engine

I did just walk out to garage and counted.and MMO is correct the early one has 9 head bolts and the later has 14. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace one sleeve and rings etc. From the early engine as I do not have a decent head for the later version. Any suggestions as to where to buy cylinder sleeve , rings etc for the early version. 340 ?

there may also so be an early/early version (330 period)but above 10K x those kits should be everywhere in the $500 range complete   as internals for the different block  exteriors should still fit. '57-63

dont go with BTO mark up $$$$

what is the tractor # number on later  one and engine # ?

of the 200 + t340 I have touched  have not seen one above #100500 engine but also didnt bring it home to look inside

always wanted to find a #8xxx + in gas

The early block ser. # is26379 and the 340a block ser.# is112134. The parts  I am looking for would be for the early block. What I'm looking for is a sleeve piston and set of rings. I also read somewhere that these early engines shared slot of internals with the farmall m tractor engine. Can anyone share experience with this theory as I believe those parts would be more readily available?

do not believe every thing you read the c-135 engine shares almost nothing with the M besides some ignition parts and possibly the drain plug if its a late M I cannot honestly think of any thing else right now They did share quite a bit in common with the Farmall A, B,and C  tractor engines and thier Super counterparts, almost everything but the displacement specific parts