Finney

Another bale mover

Local beef farmer brought over a Komatsu loader over and wanted a detachable bale spear made for it. Also brought 20ft. of 4"X6"x1/2" tubing. Said when they switch over to silage bales they had destroyed all their have moving equipment. So I fixed him up. 

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

• Like 3

Nice, did you buy the spears or fabricate them? I've been wanting to build a bale spear for a front end loader and thought about using heavy torsion bars for the spears,

wow, what does it weigh?  I have a chain on variety that I put on my old payloader when needed.

Very nice, that would sure be a nice attachment to have for cattle 

46 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

Nice, did you buy the spears or fabricate them? I've been wanting to build a bale spear for a front end loader and thought about using heavy torsion bars for the spears,

I use TSC spears

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Doug in NY said:

wow, what does it weigh?  I have a chain on variety that I put on my old payloader when needed.

Around 650lbs.

Nice work. See youput some thought and effort into it. Job well done.

Will the spikes slide out of the wet bales, or am I not seeing the way the unit is attached at the bottom of the bucket ?   Seems like it would just swing up when trying tp get out of bale.

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

Will the spikes slide out of the wet bales, or am I not seeing the way the unit is attached at the bottom of the bucket ?   Seems like it would just swing up when trying tp get out of bale.

Yes they slid out easy. No the bottom is not attached.  Just dump the bucket on about a 45* angle and they will slide off.

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

Yup, with a good silage baler the stupid things won't let go of the spears.  I got a customer who gets so annoyed with spears he runs his grabber year around.  

Just now, TP from Central PA said:

Yup, with a good silage baler the stupid things won't let go of the spears.  I got a customer who gets so annoyed with spears he runs his grabber year around.  

3x   they are going to stick so have a back up for picking out of mud when all goes in

slip ons also proved impractical for everyday....start thinking about a clamp  ....when they bring it back bent up from trying to pick out of mud.

we had to go with the heavy duty spears (looks like those are) ,regular  was weak up to 50% from front,  when bales are froze( Dont  go thru enough) and below 25* end will snap right off

right now we are having  some hard surfaced receiver tubes made up and will add gussets and new cross bar also  

SS was too small and attachment was too lite  this one mounts like QA bucket to loader

Nice job.

I was thinking the same about the botton not being attached.

I know i can be cack handed or kift. (That's my local dialect speak for awkward clumsy)

But I'm sure in our continual driving rain and deep clay mud i would end up scrabbling around in the mud trying to pick the thing up. Or trying to fish it out of a ring feeder.

It is surprising the difference climate and grass type make.

Good job though. I like it

Just built what he wanted, if it don't work I will recommend a grapple.

11 hours ago, mmi said:

3x   they are going to stick so have a back up for picking out of mud when all goes in

slip ons also proved impractical for everyday....start thinking about a clamp  ....when they bring it back bent up from trying to pick out of mud.

we had to go with the heavy duty spears (looks like those are) ,regular  was weak up to 50% from front,  when bales are froze( Dont  go thru enough) and below 25* end will snap right off

right now we are having  some hard surfaced receiver tubes made up and will add gussets and new cross bar also  

SS was too small and attachment was too lite  this one mounts like QA bucket to loader

I only use the heavier 3,200lb spears and they hold up good as long as guys aren't sticking them into the gravel road at 25 mph.  

FB_IMG_1531176074651.jpg

20171215_125010.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work (cliff)

4 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

I only use the heavier 3,200lb spears and they hold up good as long as guys aren't sticking them into the gravel road at 25 mph.  

FB_IMG_1531176074651.jpg

20171215_125010.jpg

Those are really nice also. I like all the options on the three point spear!

Finney how about a simple way to chain it back to the inside of the bucket? Maybe a small loop and a short chain and binder or something. Would be easy to take off still. I mean if it comes back. I know how it is to build things how guys want. I’d say it’s heavy enough 😬. Fine job as always. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

FB_IMG_1531176074651.jpg

20171215_125010.jpg

Excellent work, where did you get the hooks and eyes for the one for a loader?

20 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

Your really better off just buying them. There about $100 and come with the weld in sleeve. If your not doing a lot normal duty is fine. I still have lots off the normal duty ones but I have gone to mostly all 2 spikes. If your dead set on saving some $$ then truck axles work decent. Torsion axles might work.

• Like 1

Old boss had built a spear the spear was 2.5 cold roll was not enough and bent, not quite as strong as commercial made spears

3 hours ago, mader656 said:

Old boss had built a spear the spear was 2.5 cold roll was not enough and bent, not quite as strong as commercial made spears

All these new fangled spears are forged steel, whole different world than hot rolled/cold rolled etc.  

Bought a three point round bale spear at TSC today.

Probably buy a welder tomorrow.