Cattech

Buying parts these days.... for anything

I was going to respond in Perry's thread on his Gehl skid steer but didn't want to hijack....

There are many parts by all makes and in all types of machinery where you can save huge amounts of money by doing a little research into who supplied the oem and buying direct.

Many times there are several layers in the supply chain who all have added their 30% mark-up as the part passed through them, before you know it a $25 item is over $100.

Sometimes you find a part is used in something else and is sold much cheaper. I found the front brake shoes and wheel cylinders in my Suzuki ATV are the same as the rear brakes in a Geo Metro, went from $100 a wheel to $24 to do both.

My neighbor and I were talking about this a while back. How imprisoned the average person was before the internet.... If you needed an auto part, there were 4 places to go; the cheap aftermarket store, the expensive aftermarket store, the dealer, or a mail order catalog. I'm just old enough to remember those days and I can't even say I know when it changed. But now, before I go to a store, I have the part numbers, the price, and I  know how many they have in stock. If I don't like their price, I find it for a price I can live with and it ships to my door in a couple days.

Just an interesting thought, figured I'd share and see what others have found. 

And, do you think this is an improvement or a problem, anyone have a business negatively, or positively affected?

Very true everything said above. Guess im lazy tho as most times i stop at auto parts store i still expect them to look it up and price it to me. Have looked up and had numbers and price but is exception in my case not the rule. Lol. 

Yep. Polaris 500 fuel pump. $180 from stealer. Read on a forum it’s the same as a Jeep something of the other. So I called oreillys up, $48.00. Sure enough it was exact match pump. Not the whole assembly but pump was all I needed. It’s been 4-5 years. 

Dad took 7.3 to dealership one time and was told it had oil leak (was in his early 70s at the time).  Dealership told him $850 for parts (quoted around 500) and labor.  He called me and I said no way...figured I knew what it was.

Wife dropped me off, bought a jug of oil and a $25 part at the dealership, had it fixed in 25 minutes.

With all of the bad, one good of the Internet is that, as stated above, I can shop around and have part # in hand.

I called the mechanic at that dealership and expressed how sad it was that he was trying to charge $100 for a $25 part and also say other parts were needed.

I wanted to add the block heater cord to my new truck. Local dealer wanted $75 for it. A dealer in Colorado had the same Mopar part on Amazon with free shipping for $40. I can't image the Colorado dealer is selling them at a loss. 

It's not just vehicle parts. If anything you find broken has a part number on it, Google it!. It's often likely you can find it waay cheaper as just a component than from the manufacturer of the whatever you're repairing.

Guess what this little box costs from New Holland? $1140! 😲 Reel speed control for the combine. My old one sometimes works fine and then it will go really slow and if you wiggle the knob it takes off. Salvage yard prices vary from $400 to $600. I called Ag Express and they said they'd look at it. Probably a rheostat type switch bad they thought. 

KIMG0040.thumb.JPG.44fb97be40259ce271429f5bd0d63be0.JPGKIMG0041.thumb.JPG.7ab5b74c292d9a2c2711df54b852a4fc.JPG

Had a relay burned up on the 4wheeler (my fault). $89 +/- from Honda dealer. I think I paid about 7 or 8 bucks online with free shipping. Probably made in China, but it's been working for probably 3 years or so. If it quits working, I'll spend another 8 bucks and 20 minutes to replace it.     Same 4 wheeler, I thought the starter was bad (it wasn't) I called the local Honda dealer. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $350.+. About crapped down my leg. Got online and found the same thing for $49.00. Called the dealer back just to let him know what I found online. 

Sears isn't any better. F'n mouse got into the water softener and chewed the wiring harness. If I remember correctly it was something like $189. from Sears. Got online and found a half dozen places that carried them. I think I paid $20 give or take. Again, probably Chinese, but it is still working.

Its hard to "shop local" when local is no where close to comparatively priced...

• Sad 1

If you drive something with a bit of age on it, the price fluctuation can get bigger.

Some retailers want to blow out their inventory to fill with inventory for newer models.

But there is no way of knowing.

Front hubs for 88 Chevy 4x4. Local parts store, $78 each. Ebay, $27 was cheapest. Needed it now so used parts store and still had to wait overnight for one.

Idle control motor for same, $8.50 off Ebay and $78 at parts store.

If I have time, will check online for local parts store and also Ebay.

I have found local parts store cheaper than Ebay on a couple items. Not very often but it does happen.

I'd have pried that reel speed control box open and replaced the rheostat switch. Even a cheaper fix. Harder to do with no Radio Shack.

Sons 54" Vizeo TV just died. Researched on You Tube and found the EEPROM burns out. $10 for the EEPROM off Ebay. Need to get that put in now.

You Tube can tell you about,  just about, everything.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm lucky. I have done the internet price comparison thing and then went to my local parts store. Family owned, not a chain store and saved money.  Also walked out with the part in hand instead of waiting. I'm sure that they are making it up somewhere, but so far they are very competitive and usually have what I need or will later in the day or tomorrow. They have my business. 

• Like 1

If you can afford to wait it's almost always cheaper online. This fall I bought a bunch of parts for my D7e cat. Turbo, manifold and everything else exhaust related basically.  Priced everything locally though the normal parts dealers.  It was going to cost me close to 5,000. Amazon was 1800 shipped to my door. I ended up buying it from a dealer 130 miles away just for warranty purposes on the turbo.  He was just a little more and still somewhat local.  Same part numbers priced everywhere. 

I got a pair of new headlight assemblies for my son's 1998 Grand Prix  off Ebay for around $70 plus freight. NAPA and some other places local wanted around $100 each. Even if  they are cheap Chinese crap, it still cost him a lot less if he needs to buy 2 sets.

Most of the time I find online cheaper, but not always. Theres things that I can get cheaper at the store, mainly because I dont have to pay shipping costs. But mostly cheaper online. And so much selection

When I wanted to put towing mirrors on my 02 GMC, the dealers and aftermarket places wanted $600 per mirror!! I got them online for $250 for the pair. And they've gone way down since then. About $150 now. Less than $100 for manual, no heat.

• Like 1

Unless it is a part I need immediately or it requires a core I buy all my auto parts from Rock Auto. Most of the time I can get oem or name brand online for what store brand costs locally. I would prefer to buy parts local but most of the time funds are an issue and I need to save as much as possible. 

Brings to mind a pickup I bought used in the late '90s.  Had power windows and locks, a first for me.  Passenger side lock switch didn't work at all, PS window switch would make it go down but not back up, had to do that from the driver's side.  Had a little fun with the better half over that last and figured it was time to replace the switches.  Checked parts stores, nope, dealer-only item.  Checked the the local Ford dealer, who had always treated me pretty good on parts when I had to go there...or so I thought.  $56 for the window switch, $68 for the lock switch, not in stock, pre-pay if you want us to order them.  I walked out.  We hadn't had internet very long and it was a couple weeks before it occurred me to look for them online.

I got both shipped for about $15, both genuine FoMoCo parts.  Next time I had to go to the stealership, I told them what I thought about that! (no it didn't do any good but it made me feel a little better.)

Same here.  So much is cheaper since they dont have store fronts etc.  RockAuto and my local CarQuest store are often close on most so I buy there.  And remind them to buy my co-op brand milk.  But some stuff is 5x more so I check 1st.  I have noticed a few have noted 'made in china stuff'.  Dealership [IH] will get genuine CIH stuff.  I have then seen it online for way cheaper.  Get box and besides CIh on box same packaging and part so....

It's a Catch 22. Buy online and your store closes. But can't get what you need locally.

How do we all win?

Passenger window quit working on the wife's '04 P71 Crown Vic. My dealer finally found a motor in Florida and a regulator in Denver, said it would be about $350 to $500 their cost to get them here. Found a place online called 1A Auto. They had the motor/regulator assy for $48. It is a quality piece, went in easy and works great. They have really good installation video's on their site for the less adventurous.  Dealer wants $83 for the rocker switch that is for the window on that side.

4 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It's a Catch 22. Buy online and your store closes. But can't get what you need locally.

How do we all win?

It is a tough call. I try the dealer first, then the local parts store and actually get most parts bought that way. But sometimes just cant' support them. I can't spend money that irresponsibly just to keep them in business. I told both about the window regulator form above post and they just gave an uneasy smile, they are frustrated too, their hands are tied I guess on their supply chain.

What I have done is get the part number via parts catalog. Then Google the number it as work 90% of the time. This is the perfect example the dryer wasn't drying clothes! I found a awesome website that had different makes and models. Typed the model number had a complete break down of the parts. I got the heating element for 20 dollars! It would have cost 40 plus repairman bill or buy a new one! These days nothing is to be repaired just replaced! The computers and software is setup on a timer die not to last! You can see this in all walks of manufacturing! You think a new car is going to last 20-30 years driving off the lot right now? Those of us that have an old tractor vs one today no comparison! Built to last isn't used by anyone!

The largest savings I have had recently was replacing the blower motor in my central A/C system.  I did my own TS to determine the fan motor was bad. Called one of the local, we will fix your A/C places, and told them the motor was bad and to bring one.  Guy shows up and I point out the attic access in the garage and showed him the attic box.  The man spent 20 minutes in the hot attic taking pictures of the inside of the box, set down at my kitchen table and wrote up his repair estimate.  Starting with a new system at $15,000, basically because he had opened the evap compartment  and found rust on the core steel frame a picture he produced with a canned speech of what this meant.  He also had various lesser estiments but really wanted to set up for the whole house system replacement.  His lowest estiment was $780. to replace the fan motor, but really didn't want me to waste money repairing an old system, (that was only 11 years old).  This is a common (2005 installed ) carrier system, the local A/C replace had a generic fan motor for $160. I got the exact carrier fan off the internet for $225. with shipping. Took about 1 hr to install including a cool down out of the attic. If you really want to get ripped off, call someone who shows up in a new $40,000 high top van and a camera instead of a tool-kit. The schmuck thought since I looked old and grey I was stupid with money, wrong on both counts!!

That repair place  is on local TV the whole summer advertising the A/C inspection for $79.95.

I still had A/C because when the whole house unit failed I went to Lowes and bought a 115V 15K BTU vent-hose style portable unit.

That was 2 years ago, Carrier works as well as it ever has heating and cooling. The portable is for the garage or anywhere we need spot cooling.

A lot of times dealers that are selling internet parts low don't even stock them. They drop ship from the manufacturer or distributor. The thing I hate is when a brick and mortar store says,"we don't have it but we can have it in two days" . Especially if it something common(TSC is notorious for this). I can have it shipped to my door in two days for less!

Say before the internet you buy say a Weedeater at the hardware store. Say four years later you want an air filter for it. The hardware store doesn't stock them. The owner's manual lists the air filter, but the price is probably outdated. So what do you do? Write to Weedeater and ask for the current price and then you have to pay shipping that costs more than the air filter costs? Put off replacing the air filter until you have to junk the whole unit? Sure is handier now.

• Like 1

My son needed a starter for his JD mini excavator. $600 from the local Deere dealer. He found a new one on eBay for $100 and free freight. Amazing.