brewcrew

Truck navigation ap?

Does anyone know of an app I can put on my phone to get directions that are truck route friendly? I found myself following google directions right through Winona Minnesota on a route marked no trucks but couldn’t do anything about it. I’d like to not make that mistake again!

i got a rand mcnally truck gps. i dont reliay on it . always check a map. it has alot of features but may be a bit pricey if you dont use it often. 

Sorry, can't help with phone app but I run a Garmin Dezl 770 and like it. Big screen is nice, you can program it for the type of truck you drive. It doesn't like a lot of the streets I go down. It will direct me a long way around when I could just drive down a certain street to get to my destination.

Do it like they had to years ago in the Stone Age. Look at a map and read the signs. Gps is for rookies. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

Do it like they had to years ago in the Stone Age. Look at a map and read the signs. Gps is for rookies. 

When I drove truck cross country years ago had to read road altas then city map to get where had to deliver.

4 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

gps is a digital atlas

only as good as the people putting the info in the database

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

gps is a digital atlas

Gps my address you end up three miles away...

gps my shop address you end up at the southern starting point of the road, about 5 miles south

use a map or atlas to find my shop you only find the road

GPS has gotten lots of truck drivers screwed into tight places that become very dificult  to get out of . Usually gives directions for the shortest route rather then the one that’s more truck friendly .

• Like 1

so you're saying they used the turn by turn directions

without looking where it was taking them first

and then blaming the gps

does a paper map warn of tight spots?

43 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

so you're saying they used the turn by turn directions

without looking where it was taking them first

and then blaming the gps

does a paper map warn of tight spots?

Yes, 

No, paper maps don’t warn of tight spots, UNLESS it’s one designed/ printed for use with trucks.

Even the best of directions can get you in trouble. Best to plan your route before you leave. 

On 12/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, brewcrew said:

Does anyone know of an app I can put on my phone to get directions that are truck route friendly? I found myself following google directions right through Winona Minnesota on a route marked no trucks but couldn’t do anything about it. I’d like to not make that mistake again!

I just did a quick google search and there’s a lot of apps that came up. First one was truck pro or something similar. If I recall, that one would allow you to preprogram your route and specific roads. I tried the desktop version but felt it too cumbersome for me to use. Personal preference thing. 

I’m using a Tomtom but not the truck version, which works but you have to be careful because it will send you down every back street, and residential street you go near🤬

If and when I upgrade I’ll probably get one that uses Rand McNally software as the Atlas I carry and reference often is very good about keeping me out of trouble. 

Personally I think I’d prefer a stand alone unit rather than an app, but maybe that’s just me.

17 hours ago, Wes806 said:

When I drove truck cross country years ago had to read road altas then city map to get where had to deliver.

I always called where I was going before I got into the cities and got a good set of directions but most of my loads was cattle and drove straight through. 

I use rand McNally gps it does pretty good most of the time but you do have to watch it I’ll cross reference it with sattelite view on google maps if the directions seem a little sketchy also have my truck atlas handy at all times sometimes you need to make a quick detour

• Like 3

Like any tech gps has its issues, but I sure like to have it handy.  I know I’d be hard pressed to give up google maps

6 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

I always called where I was going before I got into the cities and got a good set of directions but most of my loads was cattle and drove straight through. 

Always planned my route myself to town then called. Ran dry van mostly.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, Tmtbob said:

People also used to drive there cattle to market with horses. Sounds like you’ve upgraded to a truck. Times change.😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IH Forever said:

People also used to drive there cattle to market with horses. Sounds like you’ve upgraded to a truck. Times change.😉

But If I had my choice I'd still be doing it horseback. I'd need more than a couple days of clothes though. My normal georgia to Oklahoma run would of taken closer to 14 months than 14 hours

15 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Always planned my route myself to town then called. Ran dry van mostly.

The directions from some of the people I had contact with would send you down one way streets with low clearance overpasses or bridges with a 10 ton weight limit😳

26 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

The directions from some of the people I had contact with would send you down one way streets with low clearance overpasses or bridges with a 10 ton weight limit😳

Had that happen to me especially in Chicago Illinois when I called for directions