Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

Durango with hemi

Never knew about the chewing water pumps. 160k on mine and never touched. Exhaust manifold bolts do break(not the manifold). Easy to change on a 3/4 ton. Take off the front wheel. Take off the inner fender liner. Remove unbroken bolts. Pull back manifold. Turn out broken bolts(they break flush with the outside of the manifold so plenty to grab onto). Install new gasket and ALL new bolts. Did one side around 120k and the other around 140k so they arent popping them left and right and a handy guy can do them yourself.

1 hour ago, new guy said:

Never knew about the chewing water pumps. 160k on mine and never touched. Exhaust manifold bolts do break(not the manifold). Easy to change on a 3/4 ton. Take off the front wheel. Take off the inner fender liner. Remove unbroken bolts. Pull back manifold. Turn out broken bolts(they break flush with the outside of the manifold so plenty to grab onto). Install new gasket and ALL new bolts. Did one side around 120k and the other around 140k so they arent popping them left and right and a handy guy can do them yourself.

I'm familiar with the manifolds.  We handle them under warranty.  It's a suck job on a Durango/Grand Cherokee chassis.  It is a more common issue on the trucks for whatever reason.

If you have a 160k on the original pump I'd crawl underneath and take a peek at it.

Missouri it'll be worth your time to drive a 3.6, even if you decide a hemi is better for you. 

Don’t know if you ever went and drove the v6 but just bought one last week and fairly impressed with it. It definitely makes the Durango move out. The auto start stop takes some getting used to I tend to turn it off if I’m much traffic

I’d take a 3.6 any day over they hemi in a grand Cherokee. I was nonplussed with the hemi, it’s dialed down to the point of being pointless. 3.6 has plenty of get up and go with a full car load, if I were towing my camper with the thing I might think differently but don’t underestimate a 3.6. 

1 minute ago, Thesd5488 said:

Hemi still means 426 to me or boss 429 on the ford side

426 means Hellephant now :D

4 hours ago, 4x4ford said:

Don’t know if you ever went and drove the v6 but just bought one last week and fairly impressed with it. It definitely makes the Durango move out. The auto start stop takes some getting used to I tend to turn it off if I’m much traffic

No, she talked me into a Tahoe which currently needs a front diff already. I still really really like the looks of a sharp Durango. I wanted the citadel package loaded. Wishing I would have just bought her what I wanted. 😎. Even though I never drive her rig much. 

Yeah my fiancé wanted a Tahoe and I finally talked her into looking at a Durango and she loves it we got the gt  plus awd 80 mph it just floats 

12 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

No, she talked me into a Tahoe which currently needs a front diff already. I still really really like the looks of a sharp Durango. I wanted the citadel package loaded. Wishing I would have just bought her what I wanted. 😎. Even though I never drive her rig much. 

That’s a recipe for buying 2 vehicles..trust me.

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s a recipe for buying 2 vehicles..trust me.

lol. Well I have no use for a Durango so🤷‍♂️  Maybe I’ll buy one anyway. 

4 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

lol. Well I have no use for a Durango so🤷‍♂️  Maybe I’ll buy one anyway. 

When it comes to vehicle shopping we have ground rules, no fords, Kia,Hyundai, scion etc, no mini vans, no shopping at Quirk dealerships. Aside from that she can pick out whatever she wants, I may veto one along the way, I never pick one out or give an opinion.