Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

Durango with hemi

Anyone have any experience with the newer Durango’s with a hemi? The wife likes the looks of them and I’ve never heard too much bad. They offer a little v6 or hemi. Looks like mileage isn’t much better on v6 so may as well go big or go home. At least you’d have something with kahoonies. Curious if anyone liked or disliked them and why. Thanks

We had an '04 Durango with the 4.7 and the 5.7 couldn't have used anymore gas.  We traded it for an '06 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 and it had tons more power than the 4.7 but wasn't much better on gas.

I drove a Cherokee with the 5.7 and wasn’t blown away, my mom has the 3.6 pentastar in an 11 grand, honestly,  I’d take that pentastar any day over the 5.7 it’s got all the nut you could need as long as your not doing serious towing. I found the 5.7 to be so dialed down there was little improvement. Can’t say enough about the 3.6, love that engine, best thing since the 4.0, I assume that’s what they are still using. 

1 hour ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

We had an '04 Durango with the 4.7 and the 5.7 couldn't have used anymore gas.  We traded it for an '06 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 and it had tons more power than the 4.7 but wasn't much better on gas.

I think around 2009 they started using the MDS on the 5.7 hemi. We had an 09 1/2 ton for a while with it and were 20-22mpg depending how heavy my shoe was.

8 hours ago, new guy said:

I think around 2009 they started using the MDS on the 5.7 hemi. We had an 09 1/2 ton for a while with it and were 20-22mpg depending how heavy my shoe was.

Forgive me but what’s MDS? 

27 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Forgive me but what’s MDS? 

I forget that the MDS actually stands for but the engine shuts 4 cylinders off at idle or low load.  My '18 Ram has it, it's more noticeable than I was led to believe.  My truck has the HD tow package, 3.92 gears in both axles,  able to tow up to 16,000# gross truck, trailer, cargo,  same as my F-250 PSD was.  395 hp vs 210, and brakes aren't even a comparison. F250 would never lock up wheels on dry pavement,  but Ram has great brakes, 4 wheel BIG disk brakes. Ram has built-in trailer brake controller too.

22 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I forget that the MDS actually stands for but the engine shuts 4 cylinders off at idle or low load.  My '18 Ram has it, it's more noticeable than I was led to believe.  My truck has the HD tow package, 3.92 gears in both axles,  able to tow up to 16,000# gross truck, trailer, cargo,  same as my F-250 PSD was.  395 hp vs 210, and brakes aren't even a comparison. F250 would never lock up wheels on dry pavement,  but Ram has great brakes, 4 wheel BIG disk brakes. Ram has built-in trailer brake controller too.

MDS=Multi-Displacement System. In my experience, not a good system. To access the solenoids that actuate that function, the whole intake must come off as they are in the cylinder heads.

also, how new of a Durango? In my personal experience, 14 and newer aren't so great 

1 minute ago, FarmallMMark said:

MDS=Multi-Displacement System. In my experience, not a good system. To access the solenoids that actuate that function, the whole intake must come off as they are in the cylinder heads.

also, how new of a Durango? In my personal experience, 14 and newer aren't so great 

That’s what I was looking at 14 or newer with 5.7. Why do you say that out of curiosity. 

30 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

OH!....MDS..... Motor Disabled Start walking. Lol

also the same reason I am looking away from gm because of DOD. 

2 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

That’s what I was looking at 14 or newer with 5.7. Why do you say that out of curiosity. 

Where I work, we run 2 Durangos as public safety vehicles. One is a 2014 with the 3.6 and the other a 2016/17 interceptor package with the 5.7. The 3.6 engine has many issues from manufacturer. The 5.7 engine overall isn't bad, but the Durango body is kind of cheap and flimsy. I'm always trying to patch plastic parts or replace ones that randomly fall off. The heat systems randomly acquire problems and just blow cold air. And the whole vehicle is not easy to work on 

It looks like they built the car around that 5.7. It’s stuffed in there. I can imagine not much is cheap to work on there because of that. 

Not horribly expensive if the owner is a do it yourself kinda person. Older Durangos aren't much better though. Currently rebuilding a engine for an 04

Not to get into another car brand war here because I am asking about a particular vehicle experience, but lately I’ve had way better luck with dodge in general than my Gm products. Car truck or whatever. I’m not sold on any model. I’ve had them all. The handful of vehicles I wish I never owned were all GM’s. On the same token my favorite old beater 91 is a Chevy. Lol. 

My brother has a (purchased new to replace a 2006 Cummins version  with a failed engine at 140,000 miles) 2014  Hemi  2500/D250 4X4.  He says that after you get accustomed to the the engine doing it's own thing it is fine and actually has gotten 18 MPG going with traffic. He is in Pueblo Co at 5,000'.

He has few miles on it and  never had a trailer behind it so no loaded evaluation.

These new truck "hemi's" are the most disappointing Mopar engine I ever saw. A good 360 will run rings around them and get better mileage doing it.

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Not to get into another car brand war here because I am asking about a particular vehicle experience, but lately I’ve had way better luck with dodge in general than my Gm products. Car truck or whatever. I’m not sold on any model. I’ve had them all. The handful of vehicles I wish I never owned were all GM’s. On the same token my favorite old beater 91 is a Chevy. Lol. 

I've owned my fair share of Dodges and still own a few. I'm not a fan unless they are mid-1990s or older. I'm not going to stick up for the diesels either just because they had a Cummins. If I wanted a Cummins I'd do an engine swap. I've rebuilt a few Dodge engines just within the past few months 

My mother’s 11’grand has been a stellar car, couple of small warranty things, nothing that even stands out as what it was, had a liberty before that and 3 minivans before that, all Chrysler products , biggest issue was an A/C compressor failure in one of the vans at 5 or 6 years old. My 98 wrangler is hands down the best most reliable vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It had an input bearing failure in the trans because the shift fork retainer spring popped off the Ball and wedged the fork under it, acted like a failing throw out bearing, so I didn’t address it immediately like I should have. Can’t complain, that was at 18 years old, at 20 years old I had to do valve seals. I like Chrysler products, I hope fiat keeps up the good work, too soon To tell. 

My sister has a 14 half ton dodge with the 5.7 they average 24 mpg going back and forth from Oklahoma to Indiana a couple times a year and use it for a farm truck it pulls horses or hay almost daily currently has 150000 or more on it only replaced a battery and one wheel bearing 

You can search the internet and find people complaining about every make and model available. New and old.

Yes when i have a full load of cows in the gooseneck behind my 5.7 i wish it was bigger. The rest of the time hauling it has plenty of power. Next truck maybe gonna look at the 6.4

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, Missouri Mule said:

Anyone have any experience with the newer Durango’s with a hemi? The wife likes the looks of them and I’ve never heard too much bad. They offer a little v6 or hemi. Looks like mileage isn’t much better on v6 so may as well go big or go home. At least you’d have something with kahoonies. Curious if anyone liked or disliked them and why. Thanks

I have a lot of experience with both as I'm a tech at a CJDR dealer.  I wouldn't even consider a hemi in a Durango, unless I was towing something heavy, a lot.  The 3.6 with the 8 speed tranny is a GREAT combo and the hemi is really unnecessary IMO.  Think very high 20s mpgs with the v6.  And it isn't 'a little V6'.  It'll blow the doors off most anything else comparable.  The power and performance will really surprise you.

I'm a GM guy at heart but Chrysler's tech is way ahead.  I think GM gas V8s might be a little bit better but GM doesn't have a 6 close to the Pentastar engine.  The Chrysler touchscreen is way better than GM's. 

Wife bought a Grand Cherokee this summer, we got a '15 but it's a 3.6/8speed.  Mom bought a new Grand Cherokee right before Easter, my brother wanted her to go Hemi, but there's no point.  She got a 3.6 too. The Grand is just a short wheelbase Durango really.

1 hour ago, 5088 said:

I have a lot of experience with both as I'm a tech at a CJDR dealer.  I wouldn't even consider a hemi in a Durango, unless I was towing something heavy, a lot.  The 3.6 with the 8 speed tranny is a GREAT combo and the hemi is really unnecessary IMO.  Think very high 20s mpgs with the v6.  And it isn't 'a little V6'.  It'll blow the doors off most anything else comparable.  The power and performance will really surprise you.

I'm a GM guy at heart but Chrysler's tech is way ahead.  I think GM gas V8s might be a little bit better but GM doesn't have a 6 close to the Pentastar engine.  The Chrysler touchscreen is way better than GM's. 

Wife bought a Grand Cherokee this summer, we got a '15 but it's a 3.6/8speed.  Mom bought a new Grand Cherokee right before Easter, my brother wanted her to go Hemi, but there's no point.  She got a 3.6 too. The Grand is just a short wheelbase Durango really.

Why do you say that? That hemi should run circles around a small V6? are you saying the v6 performs close enough? I may have to drive one. Looks like on consumer reports that there’s not much differerence in fuel mileage? 1-2 mpg. Can you confirm?  Thanks this is what I was looking for. Real input. 

2 hours ago, new guy said:

You can search the internet and find people complaining about every make and model available. New and old.

Yes when i have a full load of cows in the gooseneck behind my 5.7 i wish it was bigger. The rest of the time hauling it has plenty of power. Next truck maybe gonna look at the 6.4

Oh I know. It’s a crazy world. I had a service truck 1 Ton dually back in 09 or 11? Heck I can’t remember which. It weighed 10,800 with tools. I would regularly pull a mini excavator behind that and if did it. Didn’t always like it but it did it. I always said hemi has a weird torque curve. Sounds bad arse and at times will impress you but then fall on its face at the same time. Weird engine. All in all I liked it. I put it through heck since it wasn’t mine and it just took it. No issues at all. So they did something right. 

The hemi needs to get up around 3500 rpm before it really starts breathing good. I think that is some of the problem. People cant be afraid the let it wind up and scream a little. I will wind mine up around 5000 before letting it shift when i have the trailer stuffed with cows. Not a powerhouse if you are trying to lug it. The hemi needs rpm to reap the benefit of the head design.

9 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Why do you say that? That hemi should run circles around a small V6? are you saying the v6 performs close enough? I may have to drive one. Looks like on consumer reports that there’s not much differerence in fuel mileage? 1-2 mpg. Can you confirm?  Thanks this is what I was looking for. Real input. 

I mean, maybe it does.  But go drive a 3.6.  You will be surprised.  And don't believe the Hemi mileage numbers.  In the real world they never come out as good as advertised.  The 6 is a dual overhead twin cam with 4 phasers- it will make much more than adequate power, and pull good mileage.  Idk any idea of the hp numbers on either engine but if this 6 isn't at least 300hp I'd be very shocked.  The hemi is really just a truck engine anymore.

Idk if a Grand Cherokee would be too small for your needs but it is really the same animal, just a little bit shorter, and no 3rd row seat option.  Grand's have way better resale though, and a lot more available options, and trim levels.  Grand probably outsells Durangos at our store 10:1 if not more.

If shopping 14-15's look for radiator leaks, both models.  Grand will have a stupid T handle ratchet shifter (really the worst part of the whole car) that they changed in '16 (or maybe '17, I can't recall)  to a traditional shifter.  Durango should have a rotary shifter.  Hemi's chew up water pumps and blow exhaust manifolds.  Both engines will wipe out the cams if maintenance isn't kept up.  Job is about a 1/2 day work on the 6 or 1.5 days on the hemi.  

Either model buy one new enough for the 8 speed.  Previous was a 5 speed NAG (3.6) or 5 speed RFE (hemi).  Both were reliable but the 8 speed cars are way better.

Interesting. I think I’ll just have to go drive one. In my experience with mid sized trucks (not the same I guess) the v8’s didn’t labor as hard driving and used about the same fuel as v6. Maybe 1-2 difference mpg. BUT maybe this is different if they have this little v6 running that good. My Buick beater work car has a 3.8 liter in it. So I’m thinking a 3.6 in a big suv??? That’s why I was skeptical. I’ll take your word for it and go drive one. Thanks.