IH 295 scrapers & other IH machines at Twizel, NZ

Here are a few more photos taken while I was working on this mammoth construction job. At it's peak, about 60 scrapers (IH, Cat, Terex), about the same number of rear dump trucks and dozers.

IMG_7388.JPG

Lined up in front of our field workshop

IMG_7367.JPG

A pose frequently seen having the transmission changed out. The Allison trannys in the 295s did not give a good life where-as, the same series used in our Wabco, & Euclid trucks and in Terex scrapers gave good service. Always had a rough shift, but I believe, a fix was found in their later life.

IMG_7357.JPG

A Hough 30 beside a Cat 992B and 992A.

IMG_7359.JPG

A pair of 2 IH trucks being loaded by a Marion 111 dragline

IMG_7383.JPG

IH semitrailer penstock transporter

IMG_7364.JPG

An open day on the construction project with a few machines being demonstrated. A 495 scraper in the centre and a  Hough 560 loading a 4WD Payhauler at the rear and below also,

This was in the days when workplace safety was easy to work with, and no, no one got hurt. Every one had a good time watching the demonstrations.

IMG_7365.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the great pictures John.  That was one big job site.  I also spent time on the machine models you have pictured.  You brought back some memories, some good and some not so good.  We never had a fleet of scrapers that large but I was on a job  back in the 70's that had 22 180 Payhaulers  and 3-4 H400 Hough's among other things.

Dennis

Nice pics!

The transmissions didn't hold up very well? How did the 817 engines hold up in the scrapers? They were/are awesome in the TD25's.

I believe the went to the V800 in the next series which had to be a HUGE disappointment.....