Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Doctor

Pickup Glider Kit

With all the regulations and crap we are forced to deal with, why don't someone make a pickup glider kit.

You buy this as a lawn ornament and bring it home. You put the drive train under it and title it as a home built truck.

You built it from parts and am not lying.

This voids all the emission crap, except probably in California, and you have a real truck.

Maybe Peterbuilt, Kenworth or the like would build it.

What would you guys like to see on it?

Other companies would probably start making the frills for them. Like cruise, stereos, better interiors. Just like they did for the Model T.

Thoughts?

I would have no problem driving a new truck with an old pre-emissions motor.

I've thought the same thing.  I would love to be able to buy my '97 Dodge Cummins new again.  No computer BS.  

12 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

With all the regulations and crap we are forced to deal with, why don't someone make a pickup glider kit.

You buy this as a lawn ornament and bring it home. You put the drive train under it and title it as a home built truck.

You built it from parts and am not lying.

This voids all the emission crap, except probably in California, and you have a real truck.

Maybe Peterbuilt, Kenworth or the like would build it.

What would you guys like to see on it?

Other companies would probably start making the frills for them. Like cruise, stereos, better interiors. Just like they did for the Model T.

Thoughts?

The market would be too small to make any money doing it.  There just aren’t enough people out there that would want to put the time or effort into putting a kit together.  You have to realize that 75% of people probably dont know how to change their own oil, or minimally choose to have someone else do it.  No way are they going to try to put an engine and trans into a frame by themselves.

When my 95 PSD would no longer pass inspection due to rust, all I wanted was a modern truck with no engine. Drop in the 7.3 and go another 270K.

I would drive one for sure. 

You have to make your own like Dirtboyz did.......

29 minutes ago, bitty said:

What did he make?

the trash company that I used to work for had 2 INTERNATIONAL single axles built with the new body style cabs and hood (ugly as ****) with a pre-eltronic DT530 and Allison trannys

2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

The market would be too small to make any money doing it.  There just aren’t enough people out there that would want to put the time or effort into putting a kit together.  You have to realize that 75% of people probably dont know how to change their own oil, or minimally choose to have someone else do it.  No way are they going to try to put an engine and trans into a frame by themselves.

You’re bang on there!! Some can’t even change a flat tire, they have to call the roadside assistance to do it for them!

The EPA would never allow it. They have been fighting to put the cabosh on glider semis for yrs.

What a person could do, is buy a new(er) truck with the base model gas engine, pull it out and install your prefered older non-emissions powertrain in. I'm pretty sure you could get decent money selling the components you remove.

That said, a good number of the gas engine PU these days are more powerfull than the diesels of 15-20 yrs ago. Heck, a new F150 is rated to pull/haul about the same weight as an old body F350 with the 7.3 PSD, and I wouldn't be surprised if that 3.5 Ecoboost would walk away from one.

• Thanks 1

What you spend putting in a pre-emissions engine you might as well buy a new truck and do emissions delete and tune it.

12 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

What you spend putting in a pre-emissions engine you might as well buy a new truck and do emissions delete and tune it.

Or just drive it as is. The emissions systems are getting better every year. So you have to add DEF every other tank of fuel, an extra $5-10, big whoop. In another few yrs, the manufacturers will have this stuff fully mastered and it will be as problem free as it has been on gassers for the last 30+ yrs.

• Like 1

Likely ten years ago,  Western Star dealership I worked at did a glider thru the parts department.  The rear axle housing came strap to top side of the frame rails.  Engine was 1998 emissions,  which means no egr,  no after treatment,  etc.  Transmissions were installed, has extra low ratio one behind 18spd.  Ordered both diffs thru Eaton.  About a week later driving a 2008 truck that was really built like a 98.  Couple years later,  tried to do that again.  Need proof that truck was wrote off,  needed serial numbers,  etc.

I'm surprised no one has come up for a back half frame kit for all those Chevy pickups.

2 hours ago, MCC said:

What did he make?

Hopefully he will see this. I forget the name of his thread but a nice ol cornbinder with a Dodge drivetrain underneath it

Will they have blacked out rims, 10” stack thru the bed and the tow mirrors flipped up?

• Haha 2

a company not far from me builds gliders, they stay covered up.

2 hours ago, Cattech said:

The EPA would never allow it. They have been fighting to put the cabosh on glider semis for yrs

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Fitzgerald, one of the largest glider mfg's in the country, has been cut back to being able to produce only 100 a year. How long will it be before they are outlawed altogether.

Gotta agree. the EPA would never buy off on it.

If you did buy a new truck and put your old drive train in it the moment you do that the truck can no longer be sold by a dealer without all the emissions standards being met for that year model. That means that 40-80 K truck you thought you had is now a 500-1500 dollar scrapper. You lose all resale value unless you keep all the OEM equipment and change it back to resell.

Rick

• Like 1

The gas engine emissions requirements has actually improved the breed. The computer controlled fuel and ignition gets better mileage, starts right up and runs perfectly no matter the temperature and generally delivers a better, more drive-able machine. Oil stays clean and hardly has to be changed. Transmissions are computer controlled and have picked up way more ratios and shift smoothly so  that you hardly notice. What's not to like?

Yeah, you could gap the points on your old pickup with a matchbook when it died. The new stuff just hardly ever dies.

1 minute ago, New Englander said:

The gas engine emissions requirements has actually improved the breed. The computer controlled fuel and ignition gets better mileage, starts right up and runs perfectly no matter the temperature and generally delivers a better, more drive-able machine. Oil stays clean and hardly has to be changed. Transmissions are computer controlled and have picked up way more ratios and shift smoothly so  that you hardly notice. What's not to like?

Yeah, you could gap the points on your old pickup with a matchbook when it died. The new stuff just hardly ever dies.

We are lucky, still got a local guy that grew up with carbs, can set a quadra jet with his eyes closed. My old 85 Chevy starts with 2 pumps at -15 dec C. Doubtful any of the new stuff will be running 33 years from now.The old 85 probably will still be going..

16 hours ago, bitty said:

That one went the other way.

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

That one went the other way.

In ways.....the truck body he used is as rusty as a 6 month old one in the salt belt . No modern conveniences but it's ready to go for years to come

10 hours ago, D1206 said:

We are lucky, still got a local guy that grew up with carbs, can set a quadra jet with his eyes closed. My old 85 Chevy starts with 2 pumps at -15 dec C. Doubtful any of the new stuff will be running 33 years from now.The old 85 probably will still be going..

Nope. AS demand drops no one will make any parts for those or they will be made so cheaply that you will have to carry spares for the spares for the spares just to make a couple of hundred mile drive. Especially ignition parts. Couple of years ago I bought the stuff to replace the points and condenser on a tractor.. I bought Standard brand parts. Defective from the factory. That tractor is now electronic ignition.  After all, no sense making quality replacement parts when you can't sell em.

I've noticed over the last 20 years or so that even though there are far more vehicles on the roads taht as the "older trusty rusty" ones disappear there are fewer and fewer dead cars on the side of the road.

I remember back in 71/72. 12,000 mile tune ups, 2K oil changes, 80K valve jobs and 100K rerings.. Today we are running  5-8K oil changes, 100K tune ups and engines lasting well beyond 200K.

In my last 100K of driving i've had my hood open to check the fluid levels,  replace one alternator and do one tuneup that consisted of changing the plugs. I'm liking this a whole lot more than when I had the hood open all the time to do tuneups and other stuff under the hood. The time I don't spend under the hood is more time I can spend with friends and family.

Rick

• Thanks 1