Went to a auction hosted by Sullivan Auction today near Melbourne, Iowa. Lots of nice stuff. Four restored IH tractors sold. 

Farmall 450. Older restoration. Narrow front, power steering, and fast hitch. $2750.

Farmall 966. Wide front and fast hitch. Haven't seen a 66 series with a fast hitch myself. $12,250.

Farmall 806. Wide front, 3 point. $20,000.

Farmall 1256. Wide front and 3 point. $23,000.

Funny story about the 1256. After they dropped the hammer on it at 23, their was plenty of talk in the crowd. Everyone was kinda surprised it went that far. Well a friend of mine came to buy it and he did get it bought. He lives fairly close to me and we've known each other for probably 30 years. I offered to just drive it home for him rather than have him go home, warm up a truck and trailer and come back. He was ok with that. I put on some extra clothes, fired it up, and hit the road. I got plenty of strange looks when I left with the $23,000 Dollar 1256. I'm sure the rumor mill is running wide open that I bought it. I DID NOT. I was just fortunate enough to get to chauffeur it to its new home. 😁

DT Fan snapped a picture before I left. Hopefully he'll post it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, red tractor fever said:

Went to a auction hosted by Sullivan Auction today near Melbourne, Iowa. Lots of nice stuff. Four restored IH tractors sold. 

Farmall 450. Older restoration. Narrow front, power steering, and fast hitch. $2750.

Farmall 966. Wide front and fast hitch. Haven't seen a 66 series with a fast hitch myself. $12,250.

Farmall 806. Wide front, 3 point. $20,000.

Farmall 1256. Wide front and 3 point. $23,000.

Funny story about the 1256. After they dropped the hammer on it at 23, their was plenty of talk in the crowd. Everyone was kinda surprised it went that far. Well a friend of mine came to buy it and he did get it bought. He lives fairly close to me and we've known each other for probably 30 years. I offered to just drive it home for him rather than have him go home, warm up a truck and trailer and come back. He was ok with that. I put on some extra clothes, fired it up, and hit the road. I got plenty of strange looks when I left with the $23,000 Dollar 1256. I'm sure the rumor mill is running wide open that I bought it. I DID NOT. I was just fortunate enough to get to chauffeur it to its new home. 😁

DT Fan snapped a picture before I left. Hopefully he'll post it.

What was special about that 1256?

That sure beats the price of an 806 LP that sold at a Mecum auction that i saw on TV.  My memory says  they dropped the hammer on that one at $3,500.  I would be sick if that was all my work and money going down the drain.   Heck, I may even crack open a cold one and I don't drink.

39 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

What was special about that 1256?

Can't say. As stated, I drove it 2.5 Hours to get it to its new home. Nice paint, good tires, just nice. I think it had a lot to do with my friends attitude. He'd been to several sales, came home empty handed, and was tired of it. Plus his wife told him to buy it. Not that she wears the pants, they don't have that kind of relationship.

21 minutes ago, jimw said:

Even more so what about the 806? Happy for the owner both ways. Seems like a lot must of been perfect

I was shocked at this to. But they appeared to be good honest tractors. And the seller was there to represent them. That's always good in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, red tractor fever said:

Can't say. As stated, I drove it 2.5 Hours to get it to its new home. Nice paint, good tires, just nice. I think it had a lot to do with my friends attitude. He'd been to several sales, came home empty handed, and was tired of it. Plus his wife told him to buy it. Not that she wears the pants, they don't have that kind of relationship.

I was shocked at this to. But they appeared to be good honest tractors. And the seller was there to represent them. That's always good in my opinion.

Your friend needed to venture west then.  They can be had for as little as a forth of that price.  Course they aren't restored but still.  Right around when I bought mine, my local JD dealer had one with a factory cab listed for $8,500.  It was a nice original tractor and was setup to run an auger or grain vac too. 

Just now, red tractor fever said:

but she did authorize it  so maybe only 1 dress and  fancy diner required

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, mmi said:

but she did authorize it  so maybe only 1 dress and  fancy diner required

Sounded like they had a phone conversation about the time he got there. She asked his intention. He said he wasn't sure. She said if you wanna buy it just buy it. As stated, they don't have that kind of relationship.

• Thanks 1

The 1256 sold for 23K with its serial number plate missing??? Ohhhhh....Kayyyyyy..... No thanks. I would never buy a tractor with it’s serial tag info missing, let alone pay super premium money for it. Now if the serial number is documented somewhere on some original paperwork, with no doubts of it being faked, well OK. A person could get a new tag reproduced I suppose and install it. Isn’t there someone who reproduces IH serial tag plates? I thought I read that here at one time.

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

What makes it “setup to run an auger or grain vac too.“?

Someone had rigged up a set of PTO cable contros like you see on old grain trucks to run the PTO and throttle without getting on the tractor. 

2 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

I’d like to find a $4-5K 1256.  The one on Internet auction earlier this week was $8900 and in good shape (Iowa if I remember).

I got ours on that big sale in Michigan late this summer the guy had over200 tractors. I just picked the right time to play on the computer and bid. It runs like a raped ape. We took the ice cream box cab off and put fenders on it and will paint it next summer hopefully.

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Here is the picture. 

IMG_0119.JPG

Hm and a wagon with a jetco box behind.........coincedence? I think not. 😁