88seriesrestorer

ANOTHER ONE!!!

Dont know if you guys are tired of seeing this stuff, but here is another test harness fried trans.  This was the original setup that had plenty of hours left to work BUT someone screwed that up by installing test harness or my favorite term "sentry bypass".  Guys dont run these darn things I dont care what anyone says.  This nice 5488 mfwd would not be here now if someone wouldnt have installed this test harness.  Now this guy is stuck with the repair bill for someone elses bull$*^#.   

Mike

20181129_150722.jpg

15435261910295891356850491576371.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I am not familiar with these tractors. What is sentry?

When it comes to this or any other 88 stuff Mike has never steered us wrong. I got a spare centry box sitting right now that came from Mike so it's not like you can't get them and there simple to change yeah that bypass might be cheaper in the beginning but when it Cooks your trans you wish you put a centry back and not to mention it can be dangerous also we had one go out in the middle of the road going up a hill luckily no one was hurt

• Like 1

I presume to question for others?

A this is only on select models/series?

B shown (2) this is a test harness so normal function would be short period for diagnosing issues? not field work

c BC they are (cheap) some are installing/leaving this to bypass other $$$ malfunctions?

d  this practice tears up a lot more due to wrong pressures and flows?

e obviously frys clutch packs?   what else? x shaft......bearings, gears?

looks like an oversize jigsaw puzzle 

16 minutes ago, mmi said:

I presume to question for others?   YES

A this is only on select models/series?                  this is on the 5088 5288 5488 7288 7488

B shown (2) this is a test harness so normal function would be short period for diagnosing issues? not field work               EXACTLY.  

c BC they are (cheap) some are installing/leaving this to bypass other $$$ malfunctions?  Yes way cheaper its my old theory of pay now or pay a whole lot more later.  

d  this practice tears up a lot more due to wrong pressures and flows?   its not wrong pressures.  they shift trans to fast overlapping clutches a little every time, they do not disengage trans at clutch shift,  they turn the system into a toggle switch.  the sentry will not allow both packs to engage at same time, the test harness will

e obviously frys clutch packs?   what else? x shaft......bearings, gears?  alot of times in this instance the input shaft is overloaded and the gears eat into shaft.  pin plates are over heated and need to be replaced

4 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

I presume to question for others?   YES

A this is only on select models/series?                  this is on the 5088 5288 5488 7288 7488

B shown (2) this is a test harness so normal function would be short period for diagnosing issues? not field work               EXACTLY.  

c BC they are (cheap) some are installing/leaving this to bypass other $$$ malfunctions?  Yes way cheaper its my old theory of pay now or pay a whole lot more later.  

d  this practice tears up a lot more due to wrong pressures and flows?   its not wrong pressures.  they shift trans to fast overlapping clutches a little every time, they do not disengage trans at clutch shift,  they turn the system into a toggle switch.  the sentry will not allow both packs to engage at same time, the test harness will

e obviously frys clutch packs?   what else? x shaft......bearings, gears?  alot of times in this instance the input shaft is overloaded and the gears eat into shaft.  pin plates are over heated and need to be replaced

Hey mike take the time to put up more completed pictures please.really like looking at them before and after. And thanks for explaining the test harness problems. You doing any 86 series?

not that they should but....if fudging for a (week only) to get work done, no hired help allowed, triple clutch should be exercised in theory, but difficult with PS if that is what they have  and get it to you ASAP

Wow. Or maybe whooooaaaahhhh!?  So what would be a average cost of this delima, catastrophe, mistake, issue, F up. Looks like you got the same labor as a t/a job plus a little or a lot. 

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Hey mike take the time to put up more completed pictures please.really like looking at them before and after. And thanks for explaining the test harness problems. You doing any 86 series?

no 86's.  got a 3488 mfwd gettin the works and 4 5488 mfwd's in for mechanical builds

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

no 86's.  got a 3488 mfwd gettin the works and 4 5488 mfwd's in for mechanical builds

Mike

If you have time post some pics when done please.

2 hours ago, mmi said:

I presume to question for others?

A this is only on select models/series?

B shown (2) this is a test harness so normal function would be short period for diagnosing issues? not field work

c BC they are (cheap) some are installing/leaving this to bypass other $$$ malfunctions?

d  this practice tears up a lot more due to wrong pressures and flows?

e obviously frys clutch packs?   what else? x shaft......bearings, gears?

Another Reason at least in our area:

If we go back in time to the nineties, many dealers did not understand the problems behind the sentry kicking out.  We had a 5488 and it would be pulling hard in the field and BAM! you were eating the steering wheel as the sentry kicked out.  Dealer techs would come out and  search for  problems and say it’s fixed, it hasn’t done it the whole time I’ve been here.  Then later that day your eating the steering wheel again.  It was frustrating, techs found that the test harnesses would run and not give these same problems, and it was cheaper than a new sentry.  If they tried a new sentry it may not work either because voltage being supplied was not 12 volts.  In our area in Ohio, you will find more used 88 series with test harnesses than ones with a sentry.

ours had the test harness until I joined this forum years ago and found the bulletins and wiring updates provided by Mike and others on this forum.  Once I learned what caused the problems and did the updates, I got the old sentry out of the parts bin that wouldn’t work years ago and put back in tractor and it worked perfectly for years until we traded it off. 

2 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Yes Mike...more pics.  We never get tired of pics!!  

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Only do about one full rebuild a year now.   I do so many mechanical builds dont have time for the painting like I use to. test harnesses are keeping me busy;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5488Duke said:

Another Reason at least in our area:

If we go back in time to the nineties, many dealers did not understand the problems behind the sentry kicking out.  We had a 5488 and it would be pulling hard in the field and BAM! you were eating the steering wheel as the sentry kicked out.  Dealer techs would come out and  search for  problems and say it’s fixed, it hasn’t done it the whole time I’ve been here.  Then later that day your eating the steering wheel again.  It was frustrating, techs found that the test harnesses would run and not give these same problems, and it was cheaper than a new sentry.  If they tried a new sentry it may not work either because voltage being supplied was not 12 volts.  In our area in Ohio, you will find more used 88 series with test harnesses than ones with a sentry.

ours had the test harness until I joined this forum years ago and found the bulletins and wiring updates provided by Mike and others on this forum.  Once I learned what caused the problems and did the updates, I got the old sentry out of the parts bin that wouldn’t work years ago and put back in tractor and it worked perfectly for years until we traded it off. 

I never have worked much on 88 series. There are a few in area neighbor has a 5488 he bought new. Everybody that had one would talk about how they would go to neutral in field. Our neighbor complained about his doing it a few years ago and had another neighbor who was ih mechanic try to fix it they changed sentry and battery’s and what not.They never got it going. He then took it to another ihc dealer later that was old line from M days dealer. They fixed the regulated pressure problem and he still uses tractor to this day. I wonder how many sentry boxes got changed that didn’t need to.

• Like 1

Here is a 54 mfd just got done with.  This is what happens when you throw park lock in before tractor is stopped

2221.jpeg

• Sad 1

Got another 54mfwd on left for engine rebuild.  The 3488 mfwd on right for rebuild.

2091.jpeg

• Like 1

Another 5488 mfwd.  There is another 5488 mfwd outside.  2 2wd 5488 coming in yet.  Always plenty 88 to work on.  I dont know how 54 mfwds were built but i have had my fair share through here

Mike

2981.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Another 5488 mfwd.  There is another 5488 mfwd outside.  2 2wd 5488 coming in yet.  Always plenty 88 to work on.  I dont know how 54 mfwds were built but i have had my fair share through here

Mike

2981.jpeg

That one looks really familiar lol

2 minutes ago, 88power said:

That one looks really familiar lol

;)

23 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Here is a 54 mfd just got done with.  This is what happens when you throw park lock in before tractor is stopped

2221.jpeg

Funny you mention park lock. In one of my many jd tractor trans adventures. You split them just like that.I fixed a 4430 that  A range was shot.new gears are costly so found what I thought was a super good used gear. Put everything together tractor won’t move in A. Look in trans hub is spinning in gear. Took it all back apart like you have there put a new A gear in off we go. When JD makes the gear it is in 2 pieces gear and drive hub. Somehow the mate them together. This gear came loose from repeatedly being thrown into park moving. After talking to jd shop manager later on he said that is always the culprit and he had seen a few loose hubs. It took a big pipe wrench to turn hub in gear on vise though it isn’t easy to verify unless you knew tractor had problems before.

Mike, are you comfortable sharing how much the full blown restoration on a 5488 mfwd from you would set a guy back? 

7 minutes ago, RedPower5488 said:

Mike, are you comfortable sharing how much the full blown restoration on a 5488 mfwd from you would set a guy back? 

Fifty g 

Mike

I never understood why the test harness used 2 single throw relays. 1 double throw would eliminate the possibility of it getting in high and low at same time. It still wouldn't soften the engagement like the sentry but might prevent damage like this from happening.