I guess we all remember what happened today in 1984

Super A

I wish I could remember what exactly I was doing that day (I was in the 5th grade) but I honestly can't say I do.  I'm sure it was some time later before we heard what happened.  IH ag was one of the many casualties of the 1980s.....

Never forget!

46743019_10156587467074543_6558699563920654336_n.jpg

yea and then they started painting all the case tractors red then I decided I'd never own one

3 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

yea and then they started painting all the case tractors red then I decided I'd never own one

I felt the same way. I would never own anything with the case name on it. Couldn't believe it when our dealership owner called us to his office and told us what had just went down with tenneco buying IH.

I remember when that happened. Actually it seems like I heard about it on a Sunday for some reason. I was only 8 but it didn't seem right to my mind since we had all IH tractors. I couldn't understand why they would called Case IH either since International seemed to be the preeminent company. Obviously later i understood the situation but it sure was odd. Of course those were the days of Farm Aid and the collapse of a lot of farms so it wasn't completely alien.

Was a senior in high school and we were always a red farm in mostly green area so I took endless amounts of ribbing. Spring semester we had an Econ class on how not to run a business and IH was the prime example.

I just looked it up, it was a Monday. I would have been in 4th grade. I remember hearing about it on a Wednesday. We were family friends with a sales rep from the local IH dealer. We were at Wednesday night church activities. Him and dad were talking about it.

I was 13 and still remember how I felt. I was kind of in shock and disbelief about hearing the company who made my favorite tractors was to be no more. I was just a kid and didn’t understand all that was going on in the farm economy at the time but I remember feeling sad. Tractors aren’t just a piece of machinery....

I was going on 29, and too busy trying to figure out (unsuccessfully, as it turned out) how to not lose everything to pay much attention to anything else, so the news didn't make a huge impact on me at the time.

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Was a senior in high school and we were always a red farm in mostly green area so I took endless amounts of ribbing. Spring semester we had an Econ class on how not to run a business and IH was the prime example.

I was a Sophomore in high school. Lots of discussion in our FFA chapter at the time.

was a bit of a shock but not much cause for alarm    since interest  inputs etc were over the moon when it came to buying new

no dealer close (50 miles) for years to have been window shopping

used equipment  md 450d td trucks  /farms were plentiful ....(how that has changed)

prior year we had done some of our first "restorations" , had dealings direct with IH assistance on parts and manuals etc.  from original buildings on old forms/letterhead    and had ordered some IH stock,with an inheritance ,but broker wanted more than 50 shares $$ in FEES  so canceled  .

nice to see 97 % of you are young yet !

Worked at an IH dealer when we were told about the sale. We had a Case dealer within 10 miles,for awhile we didn't know who was going to stay and who was going to close. We ended up staying. It lasted until 1986, we sold out on Friday and the John Deere dealer sold out on Monday.

21 minutes ago, kal said:

It lasted until 1986, we sold out on Friday and the John Deere dealer sold out on Monday.

That's the year our plug finally got pulled.

Was senior in high school. Seem to recall hearing about it outside the ffa/ag classroom as we waited for teacher. We didnt have anything IH at the time but was still noteworthy to me as we all knew things were getting shaky in ag.

I got home from school and headed out in the 1066 to do some chisel plowing.  When the news came on the radio I heard them say that IH had sold to a company that I never heard of and that it would be merged with Case.  It was big news.

That is business, we have to be very fluid with our management in any business as profit margins are always under pressure, I think there was a timing issue. I think if IH brought out the 88 series out in mid 70's they would have battled through it. They were really using old technology for 4 decades.

I was 14. Don't really remember much about it. My relatives had a trucking and shelling business. I remember the second sheller and the tractor that run it were taken to a consignment sale. The tractor sold to a relative. The sheller got pulled back home with the pickup. Then one day it was just gone. No idea where it went. They were both green. 

I was 13. Must have been the day after when I heard about it. Every morning, just before Dad would take me to school, we would listen to the business/financial report on the CBS morning news show. IIRC, the gentleman's name was Ken Prewitt that told the news of IH's decision to sell their ag division. At that time I didn't realize what that would do to my life...and by that time my Dad had his own financial problems to deal with, like many American farmers did at that time. Hate to say it, but IH's financial problems had been going on for at least 3 years by then; I don't think most people in the know thought that it was going to turn out good for IH in any case. Nevertheless, it was a big moment in time that would end up affecting a lot of people...even to this day.

47 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

-13. Ha!  And here you thought you were still young 

Got you beat at -16 haha. On that note I’ve thought from time to time what that day was like for many of you guys on here. 

1 hour ago, 5288IH said:

That is business, we have to be very fluid with our management in any business as profit margins are always under pressure, I think there was a timing issue. I think if IH brought out the 88 series out in mid 70's they would have battled through it. They were really using old technology for 4 decades.

I've said that for a long time.  If they brought out the 88 series when they brought out the 86 series I am sure they would be here.  Not only were the 66 and 86 series technologically far behind Deere, AC, White,even Ford, they were not reliable.  Cavitation erosion, ring gears and pinions failing with regularity, axle bearings occasionally and probably the least significant but most talked about, T/A failures.  When the 86 series came out I was very disappointed.  I was expecting something like the 50 or 88 series, whatever you want to call them.  I think that series was ahead of Deere but by that time it was too late.  If interest rates had been lower then I believe they would have made it even at that late date with the 50 series.

As Dad used to say, IF the dog hadn't stopped to sh.t he would have caught the rabbit.

5 minutes ago, Mrsnerdly5 said:

I've said that for a long time.  If they brought out the 88 series when they brought out the 86 series I am sure they would be here.  Not only were the 66 and 86 series technologically far behind Deere, AC, White,even Ford, they were not reliable.  Cavitation erosion, ring gears and pinions failing with regularity, axle bearings occasionally and probably the least significant but most talked about, T/A failures.  When the 86 series came out I was very disappointed.  I was expecting something like the 50 or 88 series, whatever you want to call them.  I think that series was ahead of Deere but by that time it was too late.  If interest rates had been lower then I believe they would have made it even at that late date with the 50 series.

Funny all the reasons you mentioned above is the reason I stayed away from IH, we use to run Deere and Fords. Till 88 series came through it was definitiely a change of technology

Archived