Anyone still use a old new idea cutditioner

Anyone still use a new idea cut/ditioner? We had a 279 grandpa used it to chop corn stalks! When o came around dad used it to mow pastures we never used it to mow hay! Ours was a 9ft 279! I always thought they were a good concept simple and heavy duty to me! 

s-l300.jpg

But they tore thru gopher mounds and ant hills. When 1st crop hay got a little late and stemmy it would grind it up pretty good. Tender 3rd and 4th cutting would get pretty chewed up by them. Sickle mower or discbine would be the better choice unless the crop is tough.

Still have one behind the barn that broke the output shaft on pully drive gearbox. They do take some power but imo no more than a disk mower with dull blades. If the knives are sharp and you watch your ground speed you can get a decent cut. Also imo i see just as many loose leaves flying around behing disc mow/cond as i did behind cutditioner. I also think the hay dries faster behind cutditioner and cows like it better. Have thought about fixing mine for a back up.

Neighbor has one. Hasn't been used much lately. Thing will throw rocks at you bad 

Bought a little used MC 7 ft flail last year as tired of running fields down before bush hog got to it.

Some said my WD 45 would struggle with it. 2nd gear through anything.

Then I put it on my MH 33 to chop stalks. 33 hp ran it in 2nd gear except the steep stuff.

I love it for brush/stalk work. 

Now, a nice clean cutting of hay it`s no disc/sickle mower.

No more brush hog for this guy. 

And with the hood down, no more rocks than my disc mower threw at me. 

• 1 year later...