Dizzel

1st Td9 general info needed (looking at td7g)

Hi All. 

This is my first post here at Redpower.  My dad and I have struck a deal on a td9.  

It definitely needs attention and we’ll see if we can get it going in the next few months.  I’m really impressed with this forum. Lots and lots of good reading!

We've got to move it off site in the next few weeks. To a farm where we can take our time getting it going.

ill attach some pics  can any of you shed some light on approximate year,  condition etc?  Looks like it was partially disassembled for a waterpump which is missing.  The rad is there but not pictured .  It has a 6 way blade which is really wide ~10’ and an Isaacson winch

We’d like to use it for lot clearing and road maintenance and snow clearing. No major daily use.  Also for the fun of a father/son project.

Any light you can shed on this bad boy would be appreciated

best

Eric (Dizzel) 

170EFD43-4DD3-468F-9884-9ACBBAB7326B.jpeg

0D152868-0F69-4EAA-964C-FD79BAECA6DC.jpeg

4DA41A18-F76C-47E4-A9E1-949D7F25C5E7.jpeg

D338847D-6B3D-42DC-A1E7-4DBA6E078ACA.jpeg

ADB684BF-57DC-4C45-9A04-60F54A8F6638.jpeg

6FEA4EBA-DD8F-4329-A6C6-454D912A020D.jpeg

070CE1A0-75F5-48CF-993A-138E7BC9F150.jpeg

welcome

let the fun begin   hope for the best ...reserve pointing out more issues .........look high and low for any possible part

hopefully it was CHEAP  much under $2k including  very expensive transport

move to where it can be a long term $$$ project

plenty of parts lying about and far, too DIS-assembled to need just a water pump  how many pieces will be missing  and really why was it parked......?   truly how long ago...?

5 minutes ago, mmi said:

welcome

let the fun begin   hope for the best ...reserve pointing out more issues .........look high and low for any possible part

hopefully it was CHEAP  much under $2k including  very expensive transport

move to where it can be a long term $$$ project

plenty of parts lying about and far, too DIS-assembled to need just a water pump  how many pieces will be missing  and really why was it parked......?   truly how long ago...?

Agreed on there being more than one issue. Perhaps this motor is toast. We’ll see.

i can’t think of many reasons to pull flywheel and clutch especially when I’ve read the engine needs lifting to clear the case...

main seal, complete clutch job??

at any rate the previous owner won’t tell us much because he went and died!

Bet it shucked the timing gears!!!  I had 2 of the 9's and both did the same thing! --- also you will most likely find the clutches will be stuck too. ---Lastly , a little 9 with that angle blade will be useless! an 8 foot is the max, and sometimes too much. I had a cat rd-6 with that same brand of angle blade and it was totally useless. Blade straight---no traction--- blade on angle--just pushes sideways--pull one track clutch , and other track just spins out!

IF you get it running,--JUNK the blade and get a good 8 footer for it.  Then you have a decent machine!

I have a set of timing gears and main bearings for a td-9 that I didn't put in. I ended up junking the 9. good luck on your venture!! thanks; sonny

again welcome good job for wanting to save it

didnt want to be the first to totally ruin the "new purchase fun"  just be fully aware long term $$$ project,eyes "WIDE" open

10% a cheap fix   and will never be more than, just  snow/ag toy

proper blade will be $500 less than whole machine  and is going to need the COMPLETE front pump setup,with all of those nearing a running unit $$

Thanks Sonny and Mmi good to know there’s parts around. I appreciate the honest opinions. IF we get it going well enough to use, could I not cut down the blade to a more manageable size?  Seems much easier than sourcing a different one.

also there is another td9 close to my area that was running on gas a couple years ago. It apparently had one diesel cylinder not firing. Could be a decompressor or.... 

I may take a peak at that one too to see if it is a more viable candidate for what we want to do

oh I thought I’d throw out some other IH candy. Here’s my scout

6EDD1B1E-7DDA-4FE5-BA7B-D6C0A964B19D.jpeg

Check out the King of Obsolete ‘s website. He has a lot of info about these crawlers there.

Nice Scout, ‘78 ?

nice rock "crawler"

not to keep deflating your ballon  helium required 

that blade is 1 step above a tool bar......field /finish work or hours if you are careful

for snow you want as wide as practical....9 not enough a $&%^ ... any ditches  likely to be in them 

to cut a foot from each end and  (blade from Lt duty truck snow plow)  attempt roots or actual rock...

cylinders, moldboard ,frame are going to bend in that order if you dont shear off like sonny "said"      dont see any practical tilt for that to work either

this was 3' pine took BH and 340 to get roots out no push but plenty of leverage 

then the 9 could move it with commercial blade set up, no digging ability and shears of or spins on a full push + has to be level (hole had to be filled)

2009_0919Image0203.JPG

2009_0919Image0214.JPG

2009_0919Image0215.JPG

full tree here so 340 could get it over then 9 would scoop with virgin ground

2009_0919Image0228.JPG

2009_0919Image0227.JPG

Welcome to the forum !!  Really hope this works out for you and your Dad.. a great father/son project..

There is so much invaluable knowledge and experience accessible to you from members on this Forum.. you just need to ask.. 

The best advice I think I can give you right now is when you get to the point where you can start  thinking about starting the engine, work on the gas side first, to make sure it’s complete and functional .. if you get it starting on the gas side, getting it running on diesel is just so much easier than trying to start it in diesel mode.. 

Good luck !! Keep us posted ..

anyone feel free to paste this photo  to the appropriate posts on pumps and linkage

how they should look and presssure

2009_0919Image0223.JPG

On cutting the blade ends off,---the center push point is VERY weak. It will be hard to keep one side from digging in making control hard. You could fab up some very heavy iron to make the cut-off blade solid on the outer ends, and probably get by ok.

LOVE them old scouts!--- On the 1 dead cylinder, it could be stuck injector, or pump!--If running, crack the fuel lines to see if it might just be an airlock in the lines.-- Not positive, but I think you can get in the pump and work the plungers by hand.---I did that on the one I sold to get it hittin' on all four.

If they don't start on gas, but will pull start on diesel, the little ball link under the valve cover could be broke. ( mine was when I got it).---make sure that all starting valves are free and working without sticking.--- They do stick from time to time, esp. when sitting more than a year. I do hope this helps you with areas to check! thanks; sonny

Chipman, I have been reading the KoO website pretty thoroughly.  It is really entertaining. And you’re right lots of great info.

and yes the Scout is a 78.  Originally it had a 4 speed (t19) and a 345.  When I got it it had a blown motor, an automatic tranny and the worst body and suspension lift I’ve ever seen.  I found a good 345 loadstar motor out of a fire truck that then went into a combine for a couple years.  Since the PO left the clutch pedal I fount another t19 tranny and put that combo with a dana 20 transfer case.  It had 3.07 gears in the dana 44’s but somewhere along the line got 4.88’s.  I took the massive tires and wide rims off and went for some decent used 31”.  It’s a slow project, this year the body bushings and lift got fixed and I repaired the spring perches on the frame and made new stock length shackles. Mods are headers,msd ignition and a motorcraft 2bbl carb. It’s a hunting rig/bush truck but lots of fun to work on

north of 60, mmi and Sonny thanks for the advice and tips on looking at the other machine.  And I’ll carefully consider that blade on the td9 we bought  as it sounds like it may not sufficiently meet my needs.  Might work for dad clearing snow though..  or finishing work.  The other machine has a winch and a dozer blade with the large arched arms  manual tilt.  

Hey Dizzel, let us know where you are located, post it in your member profile. You could be my neighbor down the street or around the world somewhere. Your location helps us with recommending places to get parts, or a member could be close enough to give you a hand. The serial number for that crawler will help us tell you what year it was made, but from what I see it is around early 50s. The serial number is on a plate riveted to the firewall, down by your left foot where the brake pedal is. It is probably gone as I don't see it in the photos. I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but that machine needs a LOT of work for a first time dozer. I see the flywheel and clutch laying on the track, I see no clutch disk. And make sure you find the left fender, it has been taken off. You can see where it was, yellow paint and brown primer paint. ALL of the control levers for the winch will be mounted on it. I agree with the blade being too light for any dozer work. I think it was supposed to be for plowing snow only. The hydraulic pump for it is on the engine behind the distributor,  a dozer would have it mounted in front of the radiator and driven off the front of the crankshaft. And your tracks with the holes are for snow, and I "think" I can see cut away sprockets which would be for snow too. Good luck with it if you do drag it home.

George

4 hours ago, trucker1 said:

Hey Dizzel, let us know where you are located, post it in your member profile. You could be my neighbor down the street or around the world somewhere. Your location helps us with recommending places to get parts, or a member could be close enough to give you a hand. The serial number for that crawler will help us tell you what year it was made, but from what I see it is around early 50s. The serial number is on a plate riveted to the firewall, down by your left foot where the brake pedal is. It is probably gone as I don't see it in the photos. I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but that machine needs a LOT of work for a first time dozer. I see the flywheel and clutch laying on the track, I see no clutch disk. And make sure you find the left fender, it has been taken off. You can see where it was, yellow paint and brown primer paint. ALL of the control levers for the winch will be mounted on it. I agree with the blade being too light for any dozer work. I think it was supposed to be for plowing snow only. The hydraulic pump for it is on the engine behind the distributor,  a dozer would have it mounted in front of the radiator and driven off the front of the crankshaft. And your tracks with the holes are for snow, and I "think" I can see cut away sprockets which would be for snow too. Good luck with it if you do drag it home.

George

Thanks George for shedding light on the snow setup. The machine is in Manitoba.  I grew up there but I live in Ontario now.  Mom and Dad are in Gimli.  Since it’s not a dirt mover I think we’ll pass it on to someone who can use it as it was intended. This has KoO written all over it!

Just now, Dizzel said:

Thanks George for shedding light on the snow setup. The machine is in Manitoba.  I grew up there but I live in Ontario now.  Mom and Dad are in Gimli.  Since it’s not a dirt mover I think we’ll pass it on to someone who can use it as it was intended. This has KoO written all over it!

sorry to pop your balloon,  but after $1K....3k....7K+  it was not going to work for you on the projects you have in mind

how ever dont burn the bridge...offer a little above scrap  $ and save all the VALUABLE parts you will need in the next few years

27 minutes ago, mmi said:

sorry to pop your balloon,  but after $1K....3k....7K+  it was not going to work for you on the projects you have in mind

how ever dont burn the bridge...offer a little above scrap  $ and save all the VALUABLE parts you will need in the next few years

No problem mmi. That’s exactly what we’ll do.

it’s ok if it is too far gone. It will either be another fellas project or go to keep others on the job for years to come.

I’ll keep you all posted on what happens in the coming weeks. Dad is back on site starting tomorrow. He found the radiator in the house and most other parts are in a van on site. I’ve asked him to pull the floor plate to see what is taken apart under there. 

Quick question  with all the snow setup on this machine is it still ok to use it in dirt?  I’m thinking it’ll be ok for a short while anyway

And I don’t mean the blade.  After listening to you guys and seeing proper dirt blades I see exactly what you mean  very light duty

am I wrong in thinking this is kinda unique for a cat to be setup only for snow work?  Maybe we’re lucky and it hasn’t got crazy hours.  

not exactly snow "setup"   tool bar ,cam hyd pump  pads.

all kinds of light and finish work,  just know the limitations and $$$$$ you spend will be planed to, save /go into a better unit later

then this will end up doner for the 3rd one you find that just needs some NLA odds/ends

jury out on IF !! you find ALL parts and cheap reason/repair they are everywhere.....?  in the house is a good sign though....

Hi Guys. 

Still searching for a better candidate and I found a 1987 td7g.

its rough and has low power on the Cummins 4b engine.  Doesn’t run at all right now but is not seized.

i can get it for scrap price.  The guys have been poaching pieces here and there but it’s mostly intact. Hr meter shows 3200...

It has a 6 way blade. Needs cutting edge, likely some/more undercarriage parts, engine work, cylinders repacked...  

a machine worth perusing?

9D0FCD9B-5112-4B27-9F19-204FFBFFB51F.jpeg

B3799374-AC61-49D3-A265-058A265A38D6.jpeg

3FFB6C87-058E-4D0F-BFDC-30ADE7D7D731.jpeg

59314BB2-AE3F-4961-8969-04667DC3E23A.jpeg

09F72009-242D-4DBE-B655-726D616BCDFA.jpeg

7219C81F-2031-42CB-A90C-E804E0C9F9C0.jpeg

A37B4556-ABF0-4C3B-8AD3-10A25F28DDC0.jpeg

899ACD90-00E6-4CB1-9DF0-8C8266191E14.jpeg

307A024B-4AE0-4E3B-A7D0-5A2C6CA98DA7.jpeg

Those TD7's are a good machine, probably a better machine than the old style TD9. Parts availability for the machine itself is pretty good, and 4B parts are dirt cheap. I obviously can't see the rollers, idlers, and pins and bushings, but if the rails and sprockets on both sides look like the one in the picture, they are in very good shape. Yeah, track adjuster shaft is rusty,  pads are worn down, not a big deal. I did have a full set of 14" pads for a TD7 that were like brand new, and a full set of 24" pads off a D5C Cat that were brand new take offs, but after trying to sell them very reasonably for a long period of time, they both went as short iron last spring when the prices were up. The average price of one new track pad used to be around $25-35 each, around 10 years ago when I gave up wrenching on that stuff for a living.

Ross

well from what I see  you will be needing deep pockets and keep tearing it down and start from scratch.no telling whats wrong with that one.  would not give 500.00 for that.  I have a TD14 stuck from sitting I would sell for 1k. those 9 engines parts are pretty much obsolete. you will invest way more dollars in that than it will ever be worth.  can buy workable ones for 4-5 k. to get that thing working could be 20k.

Well we ended up selling the td9 in the first set of pictures.  It is going to a guy who has a few of them  so it’ll be in better more capable hands

tomorrow I’m going to look harder at the td7.  I’ll also be looking at a td15c that is there.  I haven’t seen it yet.

i feel good about letting the TD9 go.  And it’s not getting scrapped  so even better

Eric,

Good job moving the TD9 to a new owner that can use some of it! Good luck with the newer TD7 too!  Keep us posted!

Regards,

Chris

Well I had a couple hours to go over the td7g today and now I don’t know what to do!

i should be able to buy it for about 1400$.

as it sits it needs chains, sprockets, all idlers have wear, rock guards are in 8 pieces and off the machine, 3 cylinders are off but there. They are leaking take offs from his other machine. Starter, alternator, belt, and the engine is low on compression and needs a rebuild!

so basically the current owners have two td7g’s and I’m looking at the crappy parts machine.

tranny oil is clean, no major leaks.

i think I’m going to pass on this one unless any of you have anything to offer.  I’d feel fine tackling the engine.  I think it overheated and partially melted down. Compression is low on all cylinders, valve train is moving but there is excessive lash.  No knocking. 

If I could find decent used chains for a good price I’d consider it.  To get everything top shape I figure it’s going to cost me north of 10k.

there was also an old td14 with a big ol bucyrus Erie blade, parked when the clutches acted up and it wouldn’t turn.  Also a td15 b or c

I took a photo of the firewall plate. Guys never heard it run. Stopped turning one way and they parked it 20 years ago. 4” poplar tree growing out of it. Showed 9k hrs.  Power up/down blade and a winch. No bucket on turned stack...  you guys able to tell if it’s b or c?  Had a flat nose, not curved off like later c’s

the search continues!

D3CADDFE-7A46-4CDE-92AA-C3383B8CE90F.jpeg

That sounds like a lot of work and $$ for the 7G. There should be more around even a good TD7-E or 7-H would be good. I had a TD8-E and it was one good dozer. I now have a TD9-H that I like too.

DWF