Country boy stuck in City gets to help with harvest

Some know Dad had 1000 acre farm in Western Ky when I was born, sold it when I was 5 and moved NW Mo and bought 315 acre farm.  Sold that when I was 10 but it was burned in Me 100%.  He raised reg. Angus so I was just starting to mow by myself when We moved to Fla.  He didn't buy another farm but moved back to W Ky when I started 8th grade.   Several of My friends were farmers and through High School I helped one friend with crops.   He had a rebuilt turboed 4020 when I started in spring of 78 and I road a lot of hours on that the next couple of years.  The days of working ground to death, sure was a blast for a 16 year old Boy that was a farmer at heart.  After high school started fixing cars and only helped friends an day or so every few years.   The friend I worked for went out in the 80s and has passed.  One other sold out after heart failure and passed a year later.  I still have My best friend that hobby farms His place, around 250 acres.  He works with a bto and lets Him harvest and plant corn.  Barry Kent, My friend, drills His beans and then has bto harvest.   Barry always drills early so His beans come off when most are doing corn.  The bto is a super nice guy and has one smaller combine for two farms He has and Barry Kents.  This year they struck a deal where bto hires Barry Kent to run combine for His beans since they will be in corn, then Barry pays Him for the combining and transport.  Barry Kent called Me last spring and told ME about the deal and wanted Me to help, getting paid like an employee.  Fast forward to October this year and the time had come.  When He got His beans to drill they were a later group than He wanted so harvest was a little later than planned but they looked good and it was on.  This is a short ride through My two days back on the farm, whoo hoo!!!  I am not great with pics and have to load them from phone then narrate by edit so post might be a little slow,  it is Thanksgiving so..... here We go. 

• Like 1

October 5th, I leave the big city of Goodlettsville Tn heading for Ballard County Ky.  We were supposed to start the day before but the combine was coming up from Arkansas and had been delayed a day.  The weather was perfect so the 2.5 hour drive was nice.  I arrive in Paducah and check into the hotel since I figure it will be late when I get back there.  Call Barry Kent and the combine is not there yet.....  had a flat on low boy somewhere and still hadn't made it to Jeff's (bto) shop for a quick going over.  I make a run through wal mart for Mt Dew and a belt, forgot mine and with pocket protection weighing jeans down belt is manditory.  Head out taking the long way down hwy 60, cruise through LaCenter to check out the old stomping ground and out to pine grove where We used to line um up.  Looked different from a Mustang seat back then.   Back through town and out the West side to the farm I was born on, they were cutting beans there too so cruised by the High school on hwy 60 and then South on the 802 out of LaCenter.  I lived on it during High school, six miles and 11 turns, could still slmost drive it with eyes closed and every corner brought back memories of that old 390 Fe ford howling, hard on brakes, downshift to 3rd, hit the apex, back on gas drifting rear end out to edge of road on exit and grabbing 4th.   Nothing like the power to slide a rearend on pavement.....So by the old house, then Barry Kent's Dad's place that is now His.  Across 286 and over the hill to the shop.  This was Barry's grandads place till He passed and Barry bought it.  It has the old house that is rented out and the metal building where equipment is kept and fixed.  No combine yet and Barry is at the Lawyer working out some stuff so I cruise over to Barry's house and farm.  He bought it from His Dad years back, it has been in His family since it was settled and never been inherited.  Every member bought it from previous family member.   

823D72DF-305F-4E66-975A-65DAA298373E.jpeg

This is the hog feed floor Barry’s Dad built when he farrowed sows and feed them out.  

• Like 2

A0C308E5-30E7-441F-840E-054888ED4D5F.thumb.jpeg.6fd0549e73a7b3f1ec861e614172d4a7.jpeg

They would scrape floors to this trough, then there were pipes to a lagoon that was maybe 40 feet away so you can drive along floor.  

• Like 1

FD8BACAC-5814-4955-ADC9-E682D9B14B18.thumb.jpeg.6eae018df8a5e668d463443d8506ee23.jpegThis is facing north, that is the farrowing house His Dad built.   The crates are concrete block sides with wooden ends and on top of blocks.   

• Like 1

6B52F3CB-6ECB-4202-8F69-F480BE579E68.thumb.jpeg.38b2613b77cdbace2f1ff218520243b4.jpeg

This is looking south at the lagoon.  He drained it a couple of yeas ago.   We had a turtle slaying four or five years ago with an sks.    

2EF5E2AE-B841-40F0-A73E-A829CEDF7E3F.thumb.jpeg.0f62778605a0e0e493ae5e769b568861.jpeg

this is a tobacco barn, only 5 tiers in the middle.   I have hung tobacco and taken down out of it 40 years ago.   

• Like 1

43496F16-99A2-435E-B659-ADFA3B30F3F2.thumb.jpeg.47d16e2ae712c111a2c07c2fd48c9c92.jpeg

This is the front, the road is behind me and feed floor to left.   That is a 7600 they bought new in 76ish.   It has worked every year since then.   Pulled his 20’ woods bushhog and a Great Plains wheat drill.   Still gets it done. 

• Like 1

Well after a small look around find out combine made it to Jeffs shop but won't make it till in the morning so I head back to Paducah, shower and ease next door for supper at Texas road house.  Off to bed looking forward to a long next day.  Sorry I don't have more pics of barns and stuff, in hind site I didn't take near enough.  I have more,  just not as many as I want now.

D81711BA-1241-487E-8F88-0DEDEFE6F89A.thumb.jpeg.ae85390354cfc1c46fb495effcd8909f.jpeg

Saturday dawns, a little breakfast buffet at hotel.   Barry Kent is not an early riser and beans will be tough till 10 or so and not sure what time machine is coming.    Barry wants a hardees sausage biscuit so I stop and get several for him and his helper.   Head out and get to the shop first.    Combine was sitting read to go.   

02330568-A3DC-4343-8AAB-1E16F0FBE2FE.thumb.jpeg.284047ff3b0b6a7a4b4c54078c4329ac.jpeg

Time to check it out!!   B1ED90BD-750A-469C-A3E2-F271FAD3A43E.thumb.jpeg.0e685f8fec5059b6bbe3a430409a4455.jpeg

sent this to a friend and she said” nice pumpkin”.   Hadn’t thought of that.  

89915D1E-2B88-4570-A070-2A112CE039A9.thumb.jpeg.5fffd8eddaae6a3ec250eed1c1380d5b.jpeg

little panorama view of control central.  

30’ Draper Head.  I think it is two years old but looks new.   As I wait I check out all the controls.   Haven’t been on a combine since I ran Barry Kent’s ....wait for it........   510 Massey.     

Barry and his help show up at the same time and I distribute biscuits.     Jeff is coming out to check us out on combine and leave a semi to dump into.   Finally semi comes up drive, Mack with a nice bottom dump trailer.   It is not Jeff but one of his men.   He climbs in and fires it up.  Barry Kent has been running one a little every year so a refresher should get him going.    With no more room in the inn after going over controls, which I had already figured out,  I climb down and off they go.  738EB095-7210-4239-8A6B-6867816AC181.thumb.jpeg.5f140e2d3c3244abf249efc2c7c4702b.jpeg

After they make a few rounds opening up the west side of the field they stop.    Someone had come to pick him up so off he goes, I climb in and off we go with Barry Kent at the wheel.  I have a couple of short vidgas but they won’t load from my phone. I watch  and learn we open up the rest of the field.   Barry’s farms are hilly with a lot of edges and waterways.    I have to remind him to keep woodslines to the right so we don’t tear off unloading auger.    He is not as worried as me and doesn’t listen very well but hits nothing.   

His helper is on the 7600 mowing waterways and Barry Kent is going to get on his 4520 and start drilling wheat on side hills behind combine.   We unload first bin and it’s my turn.    Off I go   7E2B4297-39CA-4FA8-80AB-5628DF25C0EF.thumb.jpeg.db666c91a82638bc235f5f09833ec89d.jpeg

this is so easy to operate it feels like I have done it before.  Beans are running between 25-85 on the monitor and all is great.    In the pic is the shop , they built it in the 70s, all metal beams and siding.   I rebuilt his 70 ish Chevy two tons 350 engine the year after high school.   You can see his Great Plains drill hooked to the 4520.   The area I am in there is a nice flat part of field.    This farm mostly lays good with a small steep side behind where I was in pic.  

41A85027-3F3E-4BF5-B066-0E859AA159FB.thumb.jpeg.15b3041981e113adad6680e8502701f6.jpeg

Quick view of the monitor.  58 bushel.  I have no trouble and truck is about full when Jeff shows up with another Mack.   He flags me down and climbs in.    He gives me some instruction that his guy didn’t give us.   I was dumping on center of truck but that loads far side a little more than so I needed to load a touch farther away.    I needed to speed up, I was running what Barry was,2 gear as fast as it would go.   Seemed like a little over 3mph. He said put it high 4x4 not low.    That sure made a difference picking up to close to 5 mph.   Last thing was don’t fold auger in or out around truck, that made good sense.   Not sure why I didn’t figure that one without instructions. 😐.  After a couple of minutes of riding he was happy and off they go with full truck.   We finished at the shop with me on the combine the whole time.    Jeff showed back up with an empty, I finish filling second truck and put last two bins in new truck.    We unhook header and get moving to Barry Kent’s farm.  Have to go down hwy 286 about three miles so I Barry leads with the 7600 and batwing, then header trailer and truck, then combine steered by Jeff, then Barry’s man on the 4520 and drill.   I ran blocker in the little S15.   All four wheelers were paying attention and nothing stupid so move was uneventful.     

4E9F218B-DD6E-4E33-BF84-1DB392354E8E.thumb.png.9e62d9f6acce77782ecd828282fa5fa3.png

stole a couple of pics from vidga I can’t get to load.  These are still at the shop field.  C469DFE8-27A5-4B9A-B894-74595C7997D8.thumb.png.3bb17539d8fb24cd8670ca9b6fc7ad06.png

This is helper mowing waterways as I would get them opened    

Didn't get any pics that afternoon after the move, I have some from the next day coming though.  Got the header back on, Barry and Jeff opened up the front of Barrys farm.   It borders the small road on both sides, the house side is only 15 acres, most of that farm is on the side with barns.  It has a field along road and is cut down the middle going away from road by a steep wooded hill.  We started on the left side of that woods, it has a long ridge that runs away from tobacco barn and then drops off hill down into a bottom.  There are three small bottom fields between three creeks.  Cross the first into a bottom, then cross another into second bottom and turn left after that and cross another into the last small bottom.   The ridge has some steeper hills on left and right but nothing even close to what combine can run on.  Jeffs guy told Me the next day that They run on some that are steeper.  Finished filling the one truck and Jeff left us with an empty.   About the time I had it full He brought an empty and right before dark brought another and left it.  Got one filled and beans started to not feed well off header, as it got a little worse I noticed draper side belts had slowed down.  Called Jeff but no answer, I was over in some of the steeper stuff with lots of nooks, edges and waterways and with it dark and fighting feed issues I pulled to barn for the night.  Jeff calls about that time and says it just does that sometimes and it just needs to be reset.  He can't remember how and gets His main guy on a three way call.  I had messed with it but couldn't get a screen that let me adjust.  He walked Me through the same thing I was doing with same results so He decided to come out at 8:00 on Sunday morning to look at it.   Calling it a night Barry heads to house and I make tracks for Paducah, shower, quick road house again for a steak and to bed.   

C8B466E5-77F3-464C-927A-83A51A841389.thumb.jpeg.b3308552506724a8573d46656458e72e.jpeg

Sunday morning dawns and I am up and rolling.   Another waffle from the free breakfast, pack up my stuff and head West.  Get to the barn where combine is a little early.  This pic is at back corner of tobacco barn looking west along ridge.  We opened that up to get down to bottoms so some waterways could be mowed.   I was waiting for Jeff’s man to show and see what the deal is with header belts.   02C18300-A07A-4871-8B2B-C06D26804CD8.thumb.jpeg.a192a47aa7f0acd24775643c3cd4c8c5.jpeg

This is later looking back toward barn. I was parked behind where combine is sitting in first pic and combine and 7600 were parked behind barn.  

D2677DA6-1C6A-405E-9C45-FA71E3DAB153.thumb.jpeg.85eb6698729a1585abefe2aa60381436.jpeg

Snapped this on the way down.  Kind of funny the big tillage tractors of 30 years ago are now auger tractors.   

With the extra time I check out the workings of the big green monster opening panels and giving everything an eyeball.   I have always been good at figuring things out by just looking but can’t figure out how to get at engine  😐   I know where it is but can’t find the way up.  

Jeff’s man shows right on time, super nice guy.  He crawls up in the cab followed closely by me, fires it up and in less than a minute he has rpm pulled up.  Seems like it was supposed to be 210 ish and was like  40.   This is the only combine they have with that system.   The other four are newer style and control monitor is different.    He was worn out the night before and couldn’t remember the old system.    He did a few other minor adjustments showing me more stuff.  Showed me the ladder you pull out to access engine, fuel tank and hydraulic tank.    Checked all fluids and I was set to run.   Belts slowed a few times on Sunday but it was just a small inconvenience now. Beans are too tough so I meet back at shop and we go out to pull a few pig weeds that had popped up this year.    Most were along waterways  but the few in the field we went around since Barry Kent couldn’t stand to spray those seeds out the back of the combine.   After pulling all we knew of we head back to Barry’s place. I pull a few that are there and fire up the machine to test beans.    No problem so I hit it.    Worked on the steeper side hills where I had stopped the night before so he can start drilling wheat.  Get a few bins before they show up and get going.   

E306BD2A-AE0B-4683-8DE8-FA080A263785.thumb.jpeg.2215e5e4f82f5a8ef92378f8da76013a.jpeg

This is one of his semis.    Seems like they have more than 10 but not sure about it.   

Well, it's bedtime for Me, will add more tomorrow in between doing our thanksgiving.  Too be continued......

That is almost a dead ringer to my S660, I have a 630F auger head instead of a draper and mine has a spreader on the rear instead of a chopper.

The combine in my avatar is the 9570 I had before the 660.

7 minutes ago, Red_Man said:

That is almost a dead ringer to my S660, I have a 630F auger head instead of a draper and mine has a spreader on the rear instead of a chopper.

The combine in my avatar is the 9570 I had before the 660.

Y'all know I love red but sure was an easy machine to run.  Someone said later about having trouble with the rear steer and having to adjust to how a combine moves but I have to say it seemed as natural as driving any piece of equipment I have.  Sure hope next year Barry Kent does the same deal, it will be in corn and I sure would like to combine corn for a few days!!!  Heck I might block out an extra day. 😉