RyanFouks

Old 915 still cracking kernels please send advise

Hello I am new to this site but I figured it was a good place to look for advice. 

Last fall after we got our corn off I bought an old ih 915  with 2 744 corn heads and a early style flex head. The hole set up is the early 915 with a  V8 gas in it and in real good shape I would but it has less the 800 hours on it. I have the concave set right I think no cob in the grain tank and hole coming out the back cylinder is slowed down as far as it can go as far as I can tell and it is still cracking a lot of corn any advice would be very much appreciated.

Phone number in case calls work best for you 715 607 1049

Your cobs should be coming out whole if concave is set correctly. I would guess that your corn is dry by now so your cylinder speed should be bottomed out too. Do you have shaft and fan speed monitors? If I recall, any point in the system that has a belt could cause the shaker or fan to run slower that spec speed  if slipping. I think the first thing I would do is rule out rethresh by running a ways with tailings door open . There should be very little return if chaffer and sieves are open and wind blast is correct. Id make sure that the fan transition has a snug fit. I do also recall this happening-  if you take the transition off and look in , make sure the curved blades under the sieves that direct airflow don't have a residue blocking that air path.  Good Luck

Why not open up your cylinder clearance more and see what happens? If your corn is dry sometimes this helps mine. I’ve never ran a 915 but have you tried it? 

What speed are you running the cylinder at?

The cylinder spend indicator doesn't work but as far as I can tell I can't watch it down any more. If I open the concave anymore it doesn't clean the hole cob. 

Thanks everyone for the help

rasp or spike cylinder? Some were spikes.............if spikes well that's a different problem.  Try this old edible bean trick,( after all that could be done with mechanical settings ), start backing down the throttle a little at a time . When you find a setting that's acceptable ,mark the location than make a stop  stick to hold that position. Some times conditions require a little different approach .

Did the 915 have pulley's that you would switch to have a high range and low range?  I'm unable to find my old operators manual.  I remember switching pulleys on the 715 when we would combine oats and needed more speed.

It has rasp bars and filler bars. The guy I bought it from said something about the switch the sprocket but he said that it has the slower one

two things. I just realized that you had a high profile. And now that you've said that your speed indicator is not working, and that the previous owner mentioned changing sprockets, it must have the chain drive cylinder like ours did. You very well could just swap the drive and driven sprockets. It needs to be running very slow for dry shelled shaft tach would be good. image.thumb.png.ff37e0317b608cf15cd29e1fd6d99d2c.png

Reduce cylinder speed, drop concave, open up lower sieve. If the crop is too dry it will crack some anyway.