Hi. First post here.

Bringing a 606 gas back from the dead. Bought it not running. Of course it allegedly ran when they parked it in the bush 20 years ago.

So, I  have cleaned out the fuel system, checked for spark, checked the firing order, tested compression, (150 lb in 5 cylinders. #1 is dead, assuming stuck valve.) I cannot get this thing to fire. Even tried a shot of brake cleaner into the carburetor throat while cranking. New battery cables and battery, spins over just fine.

I would like to fire this thing up before I tackle that dead cylinder.

Cannot find timing marks? Pretty sure nothing was previously disturbed and I do have one of those IT manuals.

Running out of the easy ideas. Any thoughts? 

I'm not very good with gas engines but I would guess the carb needs to be taken apart and cleaned. The jets and offices in a carb are very small and rely on relatively low pressures to move the gas through it. Can you choke the engine until it floods? If it doesn't flood when you choke it then you aren't getting any gas through carb. If it doesn't have a TA, put it in highest gear and pull it with another tractor. Verify you have oil pressure and let it free up the engine a bit. Take this advice with caution because I'm no expert!!!

How about more than a shot ? maybe it wasn't enough ? Did you clean the carb ? make sure you have gas coming in. I say that because my F20 needs to have flow coming from the fuel line before i tighten it down. Try pull starting it like mentioned before. 

Thanks Jason

Have you got anything besides brake cleaner to spray in the carburetor? I've heard of using things other than starting fluid, but my own personal experience is they don't work.

Does the carburetor have a little electric looking solenoid thing on it? I don't think those came along until the 56 series, but if it has one, that is a shutoff, and it must be powered, and must be working, in order to get fuel into the carb.

Um maybe im silly but why wouldnt you want to figure out if valve is stuck before you fire it? Could and maybe already have bent a pushrod or valve stem. Not sure if valve can hit piston on those. Pull the valve cover and see what you got going on before you go any further.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, the carb has been apart and cleaned up. I know fuel reaches the bowl. I tried the brake cleaner trick simply to see if I could get it to fire. I know from experience that this can be a simple trick to see if there is fuel in the intake manifold. I would not expect it to run, but it becomes a diagnostic step. 

There was not even a hint that it would  fire. Spark is good as tested at the plug. 

That dead cylinder is a concern, but the engine could easily run on the remaining 5. If a valve could hit a piston, it would already have happened simply from cranking it over. I wonder if a stuck intake valve could be affecting draft through the carb and upsetting the fuel distribution to the remaining cylinders?

I have yet to find any timing Mark's. Read the procedure in the IT manual, seems straightforward, but I need to see that mark. It's  pretty crowded around the front of the engine and there also is a loader mounted.

Pull starting would be interesting. The hydrostatic steering is completely  dry, thus no steering! 

Are you getting gas to the cylinders? I would take valve cover off and inspect the valve train and push rods on the dead cylinder and if there is a stuck valve and try to get it loose  and then see if it will start.    Jim

Take valve cover off and oil up the valves with clean oil . Time it with lash on number one valve cover off and free up stick ing valve with penetrating oil. 

Start it up with valve cover losse inspect for oil flow , odd not it will burn up rocker ball 

good luck 

I hate gas engines.   You say you verified spark--is that with the plug removed (watching it spark) or just to the plug?   First thing I always do is replace the plugs.   

TIming marks...I have no personal experience with those tractors, but the CIH parts pages for that show a timing pointer on the front cover--obviously to the front "balancer/pulley"   

It has been stated that you have spark. but is it at the right time?  I just did a tune up on an old Farmall M that somebody did not time the distributor correctly.  I had to put #4 plug wire in #1 hole on dist cap.  Remove #1 spark plug and stick your finger in the hole and turn the engine in direction of rotation until you feel compression.  Then with a small light you can look in the hole and continue turning until you see the piston reach TDC.  At this point you can check the front pulley for timing marks.  If you remove all the plugs those engine usually turn quite easy by turning the fan blades with your hand.  If you have the switch on the #1 wire should spark at TDC.