zleinenbach

2+2 hydro

May be a dumb question, but why hasn’t this happened yet? Hydro 186 back half mated to ant eater front? Is it possible? How dumb am I? 

first off your talking about transmission not suited for high horsepower or hard pulling with four wheels pulling heat build-up would be bad almost like pulling a plow behind a combine all day long I'm sure IH knew that also second Hydro's are not cheap to repair like a gear drive transmission or T/A setup that's made for hard pulling to begin with

Junk 2+2 with a hydro trans bolted in should be easy to build. I think it would be cool, although like stated, use less for tillage. Would make a sweet planter/sprayer tractor.

Yes you could do that. But versatile had it way before even 2+2 were thought of. Plus I am sure other mfg probably did also plus CNH built until a couple years ago.they actually built a 2+2 like hydro tractor at caseih for 10 years until they discontinue a couple years ago. Mid Tv 140 series through 6070 were built in Fargo. The tv140 was designed and started production in Winnipeg. Almost exactly like a 2+2 it used rear hinge cab in tractor mode and used existing tractor rear end for base. The tv 6070 used a regular nh 6070 rear as a base. The 6070 was the same as a caseih model and started life as a ford tractor. The 6070 is same as  maxxum 140 so if you want a modern 2+2 buy a tv paint it red name it a tx 140 you would be using ihc number system.

D01EFDAC-CB72-4FA3-9045-11F612866663.png

20E7FE76-2344-4921-BEBB-0EBDB77596F5.png

F5472474-4622-4EFF-BA36-75111B46150D.png

In the end they had the tv6070 almost up to what the little 2+2 was. Talked to engineer from Fargo when they were quitting tv6070. He was at ag show. Said they were designing bigger models but with new MFWD tractors and high speed reverse they didn’t want to engineer new ones with emission equipment.

EEA80F75-6339-4D4B-B0FF-3418A865F048.png

9E6EC66A-B22E-4C76-854D-7CA878C4D2B5.png

Yup, the anteater front end drives off the same place as the Elwood, and the Hydro 186 has that capability.

Should be an easy bolt-together to marry a 3388 front half to a Hydro 186 back half, which would make a...

What would you call it? There's already a 3488.

3188 Hydro?

Just for fun. Should do anything a 186 can do, only better. That was the point of a 2+2, to do the same job as its conventional HP equivalent, only better.

The drive gear in the range transmission for the mfd was only installed at the factory when the 186 was ordered with mfd. 

2 hours ago, striker782 said:

The drive gear in the range transmission for the mfd was only installed at the factory when the 186 was ordered with mfd. 

Thought the gear box drove off the reverse shaft? Shouldn't be anything to add as long as you have the gear box that bolts to the side.

You are correct. If tractor had mfd, gear is there. Reverse drive gear not used in a  2wd hydro so was not installed unless tractor was ordered with mfd attachment. 

Edited by striker782

I guess the real question on the reverse gear, is it anything special in the 186 or could you source it from a gear drive tractor and install it?

The 186 uses the same gear on the pinion shaft for park as the rest of the 86 series. The reverse gear needed to run the mfwd is special to hydro's in away, it only adds one gear on the side of the range transmission instead of the 2 that a gear drive has for reverse. But as far as I know you can add both gears without the shift collar and that would work. If someone were to build a 2+2 hydro I would recommend using the reverse idler shaft and gears from a 2+2 they use a heavier bearing for the gear that drives the front axle.

11 hours ago, striker782 said:

Reverse drive gear not used in a  2wd hydro so was not installed unless tractor was ordered with mfd attachment. 

Makes sense, no need for reverse, hydro can do it. I've never looked that close at a hydro 186.

But back to the subject, if you used a 2+2 as your start point, and just put the hydro unit in place of the gear trans. You could put both in reverse and go forward.