86 Series Cab Paint Question

leeave96

Paint around the front windshield, the surface where the wiper and top two amber cab lights are located and down the sides of the windshield - always black or sometimes white?  I see them on Craigslist painted both ways.  I'm thinking one is a re-paint?

Ain't it beautiful.  Look at the skid it's on.  He does good work.

5 minutes ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Can i borrow that i give it back after oh 30 years! Haha nice work

Send me a core or the cab you have.  Have an 88 cab to get finished up soon as well.

Matt

15 hours ago, rsscott said:

Ain't it beautiful.  Look at the skid it's on.  He does good work.

That was the factory skids the East Moline plant shipped them to Farmall on. Company I drove OtR for had the contract of hauling the cabs along with lots of other cartage work for IH. They bought two new Fruehauf 53 ft trailers just to haul cabs on those skids. I forget if the old trailers were 45 or 48 ft. The driver's chained the last cab in with chains bolted to the sides of the trailers,  the skids sat on roller conveyors,  one person could push a load of 7-8 cabs off in a couple minutes. Cabs were stored at Farmall in the basement under the Finish assembly line. Lots of pictures of the hoists used to lift the cabs out of the basement, up to the rafters of the plant, match speed with the assembly line and lower the cab onto the tractor with very little hand labor to jiggle it into place.

Matts brand new 50/70 series cab was on that skid when it came from here , I'm thinking Matt and I are the only two guys with a set of them? 

Danny 

3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Matts brand new 50/70 series cab was on that skid when it came from here , I'm thinking Matt and I are the only two guys with a set of them? 

Danny 

Not for long. I am going to build a set of those before we do our next one.

I can give you the measurements on mine , there sitting in the back under the cover of the security system and cameras 😳

Danny 

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I can give you the measurements on mine , there sitting in the back under the cover of the security system and cameras 😳

Danny 

They can be picked up with a forklift from either direction and the bumpers on the end were made so the driver wouldn't hit the cab. 

23 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

A little more to look at..with some red!

IMG_20180714_161830200.jpg

I'm a little envious of that work space too!  Look like you do great work.  Is that tractor going to be put back to work or is it going to be a show tractor? 

On 11/19/2018 at 1:47 PM, IHC5488 said:

It's not mine.  I am working on it for a customer.  He may chime in here sometime now and then.  Any more pictures will have to come from him.

Matt

All I can say is good things come to those who wait! 😉

Archived