Snow covered corn

from H to 80

We haven't  had a crop snowed on , in the field ,  in years. Got the beans and Milo done but left with quite a bit of corn.  We had 1 1/2" of snow Monday and 6" plus yesterday supposed to warm up this weekend , but I'm sure it will be a sloppy mess when it does. We were hoping to shell while the ground was frozen, but too much snow hanging on the stalks and ears.

18 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

We haven't  had a crop snowed on , in the field ,  in years. Got the beans and Milo done but left with quite a bit of corn.  We had 1 1/2" of snow Monday and 6" plus yesterday supposed to warm up this weekend , but I'm sure it will be a sloppy mess when it does. We were hoping to shell while the ground was frozen, but too much snow hanging on the stalks and ears.

13 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Try having 700 acres of beans with snow on them like we got....

You guys are not alone! I’ve been  combinding corn with about three or 4 inches of snow on the ground now we’re getting another 4 to 6 inches today!

It’s been a very wet fall this year, and the last few days have been very cold I had a small lake in one field and there was about an inch or so of ice on the water.

Lots of wildlife in the cornfield too,  wild turkeys, rabbits, deer and I even seen a muskrat!

F8A7C31E-E8F0-4106-965F-ADC1E710899D.jpeg

83CD162F-E317-4558-B68D-1F181DD29490.jpeg

We are in a winter weather advisory here for 3-5 inches today.

All beans out but a lot of corn left.

Damn Global Warming.

Yah me too. Worst thing is I am off work all week on vacation to hunt/combine corn and haven’t hit a lick because of the snow. I ran over at daylight Monday morning and shelled 250 bushel before it started snowing at 9:30 am. By the time I get the wagon where I need it and walk to the combine 🤷‍♂️  The one inch or so we got then was off the corn enough I was tempted to give it a whirl when yesterday we got 6” also. I just stayed in the shop and worked on the 756 that doesn’t end. 

If it's good and cold (under say 15 degrees) you can try to run snowed on ears through the combine. The snow will blow out the back of the combine without melting as long as it's cold.

Very limited experience with snow on corn , but I remember the last time we tried it the screens froze solid. It seemed like a good idea when I contracted NOV CORN it was .17 cents higher than OCT CORN but it doesn't look like such a good idea now.

1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

If it's good and cold (under say 15 degrees) you can try to run snowed on ears through the combine. The snow will blow out the back of the combine without melting as long as it's cold.

At 15 degrees you can go like ****, 25-30 degrees is when you will turn your sieves into a mess.

1 hour ago, clay neubauer said:

At 15 degrees you can go like ****, 25-30 degrees is when you will turn your sieves into a mess.

X2. We finished up corn like that 4 years ago. 

It was night when we were running the last of it. Full blown snow squaw. All i could see from the truck and wagons was the glow of the combine and tractor and cart lights in all that snow. It was 14 degrees at the time. It was cold sitting in the semi truck idling waiting for it to get loaded because that big engine and cooling system doesn't produce much heat when it's just sitting idling. 

The only issue that night was the roads were still warmer and all that snow on them made ice when it made contact. There is one hill that leads to a stop sign. That hill was slick. I didn't have any trouble stopping the semi truck loaded on it. I had a butt puckering moment with the tractor and Brent wagon. The wagon has surge brakes on it. I started to stop the wagon and the tractor started to kick sideways from the wagon pushing. I had to feather the tractor brakes to keep it under control. I did get the load stopped before the stop sign but it definitely puckered me up .

I have heard of folks removing the sieves entirely from their axial flow combines to harvest in snowy conditions.  With careful adjusting of concave clearance and rotor speeds you can get a decent sample.  If you are feeding the corn to cattle, a few cob pieces are fine.  I froze a Massey 550 up one time in snowy conditions.  I feel your pain!  Good luck and stay safe.

I finished up last year with snow and will this year. Last year it didn’t get cold enough and it plugged up the sieve with snow and silks every few loads at the end. That was frustrating, hopefully this year it’s colder. Seems like anything under 20 degrees works the best.  

20 some years ago we tried to finish combining hi-moisture corn and a belt went on the 4400 we had. Of course JD didn't have one . Combine froze over night and it was an ice cube until tge spring thaw. We finished tge last 15 acres with a borrowed 1 row picker :(

I wish we had crop standing to harvest. Any wheat around here is flat to the ground and covered with snow and anything swathed is just white rows. Sounds like alot of people in the same boat. Pretty sure we're done till next spring now in this area. 

Good luck to everyone still trying to get er done!!

This was a month ago. Looked like that at the end of September, looks the same today, maybe worse now, haven't looked

20181014_132540.thumb.jpg.c9efceae5aaac0ca3b3e15eb3645f67a.jpg

20181014_132610.jpg

had that a couple of years ago certain temperature the combine would plug up custom guy not to happy then. we have a lot of snow again this year but did corn last week went good. also we had to disc the snow under to get the fields to freeze so we could haul out manure and empty pit, never had to do that before either.

13 hours ago, db1486 said:

I wish we had crop standing to harvest. Any wheat around here is flat to the ground and covered with snow and anything swathed is just white rows. Sounds like alot of people in the same boat. Pretty sure we're done till next spring now in this area. 

Good luck to everyone still trying to get er done!!

This was a month ago. Looked like that at the end of September, looks the same today, maybe worse now, haven't looked

20181014_132540.thumb.jpg.c9efceae5aaac0ca3b3e15eb3645f67a.jpg

20181014_132610.jpg

Will you be able to harvest any of it in the spring or is it simply lost? Does Canada offer any type of crop insurance?

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

Will you be able to harvest any of it in the spring or is it simply lost? Does Canada offer any type of crop insurance?

Yes should be able to take most of it off in spring, although the grain companies really dont want it. Very hard to market it, from what I've been told anyway. Wheat would probably just be feed grade, but most of its flat as a pancake on the ground, so I doubt it'll be salvageable. Any thing in a swath, like canola will go yet. And oats, well we got the old chain baler going so gonna try to roll it up, snow and all lol

As far as insurance, each province has their own crop insurance. It's a joke as far as I'm concerned, at least here in Manitoba. Can't put a claim in till its harvested, so in spring. Then there will probably be enough bushels yet to be over the average which would mean no payment. Only thing is there might be wildlife damage, which is kind of part of the insurance. I had to go for parts this morning and theres alot more crop out yet than I knew of

On November 16, 2018 at 7:57 AM, from H to 80 said:

Very limited experience with snow on corn , but I remember the last time we tried it the screens froze solid. It seemed like a good idea when I contracted NOV CORN it was .17 cents higher than OCT CORN but it doesn't look like such a good idea now.

I'm assuming you don't have storage. Hopefully you realize you don't have to combine it the same month you have it sold.😉

10 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I'm assuming you don't have storage. Hopefully you realize you don't have to combine it the same month you have it sold.😉

Yes we have storage in several places,but the bins are full. We don't have much commercial storage around you can sell it locally ,but you will take a beating on it. This corn has to go to St.Louis, we knew that when we planted it. and contracted most of it this summer. Like i said corn was 17 cents higher for NOV and the weather went to heck starting November first.

16 hours ago, db1486 said:

Yes should be able to take most of it off in spring, although the grain companies really dont want it. Very hard to market it, from what I've been told anyway. Wheat would probably just be feed grade, but most of its flat as a pancake on the ground, so I doubt it'll be salvageable. Any thing in a swath, like canola will go yet. And oats, well we got the old chain baler going so gonna try to roll it up, snow and all lol

As far as insurance, each province has their own crop insurance. It's a joke as far as I'm concerned, at least here in Manitoba. Can't put a claim in till its harvested, so in spring. Then there will probably be enough bushels yet to be over the average which would mean no payment. Only thing is there might be wildlife damage, which is kind of part of the insurance. I had to go for parts this morning and theres alot more crop out yet than I knew of

What will you do with the oats after you bale them? 

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

Yes we have storage in several places,but the bins are full. We don't have much commercial storage around you can sell it locally ,but you will take a beating on it. This corn has to go to St.Louis, we knew that when we planted it. and contracted most of it this summer. Like i said corn was 17 cents higher for NOV and the weather went to heck starting November first.

Understand, I was just teasing.

There is a guy locally who sold 100,000 to the ethanol plant for Dec. because of a 5 cent carry over Nov.  I don’t think he has enough storage so is waiting to harvest in Dec.  I personally would not leave it in the field for $5,000.

Years ago guys used to take the bottom sieves out for combining corn in the snow around here. Seemed to work good for the most part.

Around here there are still quite a few sunflowers out in the field. Most of these were replant flowers as we had some bad weather come through just before the 4th of July. The problem with flowers is that they take on moisture when they get snow on them. The head is upside down so the snow settles on the back side of the head. Then the sun warms up that snow so it melts into the back side of the head...and then down into the seeds themselves. Also, the extra weight of the snow makes it harder for that stalk to hold up straight in the wind. Combining fallen over sunflowers is no fun at all. On the good side, you usually don't have to worry so much about combine fires.

18 hours ago, db1486 said:

The good old new holland chain baler. They would bale anything people claim even rail road tie. Hope you get it off. We had a guy years ago leave wheat out in swaths it wasn’t to bad in spring. 

Archived