RedPower5488

5488 mfwd won't disengage

I have had my 5488 for almost a year and pulling wagons this fall I realized that the mfwd doesn't disengage at all. I am aware that there was a serial number break between spring engage and hydraulic disengage and vise versa. The only idea I have is that it is hydraulic applied and spring disengaged and my spring is broke. Any other ideas?

If it's like the Magnums it is spring applied and hydraulic to disengage. Takes electric to disengage,fuse blown it's then engaged

I am pretty sure some were like the magnum clutches and some were the opposite I don't know for sure which mine is

2 hours ago, RedPower5488 said:

I have had my 5488 for almost a year and pulling wagons this fall I realized that the mfwd doesn't disengage at all. I am aware that there was a serial number break between spring engage and hydraulic disengage and vise versa. The only idea I have is that it is hydraulic applied and spring disengaged and my spring is broke. Any other ideas?

Check and see if you get power to Mfd solenoid you can always put gauge on it to see what’s going on

We ran into this a couple times over the years one thing to check is the switch in the floor that locks the diff in if it's unplugged the front axel stays in another thing to look for is up by the centry box there is a fuse buy it's self if it blows the front axel stays in gauged. I don't know how it is on the magums but on all of are 88's u have to have power to the solenoid to kick it out of 4x4 it gets it power from the diff lock switch 

as stated above early power engages mfd  later power disengages mfd   solonoid is under left side cab behind cab mount  run jumper wire from batt +  to pos terminal on solonoid it should click see if it is disengaged    if it does then check power to rocker switch  have seen a few switches go bad over the years

First thing to check if you haven't already...make sure the connection is secure to the mfd switch.  Happened to our '84 5488.

The early ones were hyd on.  Most are electric and hyd release.  So spring applied.  Its opposite of what your brain tells ya.  When the green light is on its actually cutting power and hyd supply to engage mfwd.   Check the diff switch.  the mfd switch is supplied power from diff switch.  If someone had floor out they may have not plugged the mfd supply wire in

Mike

The green light comes on so does that tell me that the switch is getting power from dif lock?

since your switch is lit up and shows power, there should be wiring down under the seat/floor to the solenoid for the mfd which is I believe back by the rear of the auxiliary fuel tank.  If the wiring is unplugged somewhere or cut then you will not get power to solenoid to supply hydraulics to turn it off.