Hootmon

Farmall C oiler gear

Just now, Hootmon said:

Why would oiler gear suddenly break around countershaft? Had proper amount of gear oil in transmission.

Welcome

OOOmmy     BTDT

bad bearing ........frozen x.....was it that cold yet?

just their time   cheap aluminium   way past engineered life    unfortunately likely only getting a used one $75 + S  if it is that much have them magnaflux guarantee like new..for a good run in.....week..sure they cant know  2 weeks or 30 hours later

hopefully you did not loose $$$$$other parts   since you will be doing a complete rebuild   check every part in there and let it take several months/evenings

DSCF1141.jpg

DSCF1142.jpg

DSCF1139.jpg

Hootmon

These oiler gears are made of a poor grade of "pot metal"  and are very prone to breakage.   If yours is still around the shaft you can break the remains and remove the pieces  after removing the shift cover.   This gear was installed to ensure oil to the gears when the tractor is used for stationary PTO or belt work.  If you don't do any stationary work or let the engine run for long periods of time, when the tractor is not moving, I have run them for years without the oiler gear.

GT&T

Good post , I never noticed that on the c or sc . I found a some strange stuff stuck in differential sludge ,  changing the oil. 

1 hour ago, Hootmon said:

Thanks for response, picked oiler up on eBay. Never thought i would be this far into a tractor tranny before.

Take lots of pictures , never know when I might need them 👍🏿🚜