BOBSIH856

Camp fire wildfire

Got some sad news from my sister Thursday evening. They lost their house and farm to the wildfire in Paradise valley. 

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Got some sad news from my sister Thursday evening. They lost their house and farm to the wildfire in Paradise valley. 

Sorry to hear that !

Its a very devastating situation.

Tony

So sorry to hear this. Best wishes for them and all others involved. 

Everybody is ok. The cat that they couldn't find when they evacuated miraculously survived without any injury one of their chickens survived too. House is just block walls.

Sorry to hear about your sister. Really sucks but main thing is everybody is ok. Some are not so lucky.

Anybody know if Tony is anywhere close to these? Was thinking not but wasnt sure.

Sorry to hear that. 

Sorry to hear hopefully they can rebiuld.

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sorry to hear about your sister. Really sucks but main thing is everybody is ok. Some are not so lucky.

Anybody know if Tony is anywhere close to these? Was thinking not but wasnt sure.

Condolences to your sister.

Tony is 100s miles away.  This area is between SF and Sacramento.  Tonys almonds are irrigated so no fire ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about your sister. Hopefully they can get back in soon and check everything out and be able to rebuild.   Glad to hear that Tony is away from it and that he's irrigated.

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Thank You for your concern.

No, I am between both Cali fires going now .  Camp Fire is North of SF & Sacramento.  (Approx. 300 mi.N.of me) Paradise a nice community in Mountains East of Chico ,Chico is a good Ag Area and home to Chico State and last I heard being threatened .

The Southern fire S/W  L.A.( approx. 300 mi. South of me) I am somewhat familiar with area but I don't venture much toward L.A. area if I can help it.

My area is mostly all Irrigated Agriculture ,mostly permanent crops with very little dryland grasses. However , Approx. 60 miles East and 60 miles west there are the foothills with native pasture lands.

Not saying we can't burn but there is less native fuel available. 

Cali is so dry statewide right now , Usually by now we have had some rains then the tule fog begins around Thanksgiving but its not looking promising.

I just turn off pump this evening on my home place orchard hoping its last irrigating till next Feb or March.

Tony.

1 minute ago, Tonyinca said:

Thank You for your concern.

No, I am between both Cali fires going now .  Camp Fire is North of SF & Sacramento.  Paradise a nice community in Mountains East of Chico ,Chico is a good Ag Area and home to Chico State and last I heard being threatened .

The Southern fire S/W  L.A. I am somewhat familiar with area but I don't venture much toward L.A. area if I can help it.

My area is mostly all Irrigated Agriculture ,mostly permanent crops with very little dryland grasses. However , Approx. 60 miles East and 60 miles west there are the foothills with native pasture lands.

Not saying we can't burn but there is less native fuel available. 

Cali is so dry statewide right now , Usually by now we have had some rains then the tule fog begins around Thanksgiving but its not looking promising.

I just turn off pump this evening on my home place orchard hoping its last irrigating till next Feb or March.

Tony.

Glad to hear your not too close Tony.

• Like 2

Got a friend about a 100 miles from the camp fire but down wind....

Our local fire dept sent a truck down along with 5 other localish depts...along with crews...i sure hope that thing gets under control soon...

4th largest fire in CA history.

I don''t know much about this topic, but seem to remember reading about controlled burns as a way to prevent this kind of massive fire.

Do they not work, are they not allowed, or are they just not relevant in this case?

Fire departments did not like control burns because  there is always a chance to have it go out of control. Man does not control as much as he would like to think. And of course the hoards of lawyers that reside in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Always looking for a suit to bring. 

The last 10 years fire departments have decide all of California will burn, maybe burn it on our terms. When conditions favor fire department having some control. All the nuts from every side but mainly the California Air Resources Board (CARB) now do there best to stop controlled burns.The great minds of CARB are a good part def fluid all new diesel engines need. A very over sized non elected political body. They are not close to getting the message that ALL CALIFORNIA WILL BURN. So burn in the rainy season not the dry. 

Not real familiar with the plant types burning in the Camp fire, but looks like conifers and scrub brush from TV pictures. Scrub if burned every 10 to 20 years is a much cooler fire, can clean under the conifers and never get up in the crowns. The recent dry years have killed many trees more so the closer the trees were before drought, of course make a many times hotter fire.

With the heat  the fires reach with the big fuel load many houses start burning inside from spontaneous combustion out ahead of the flames. And of course all the flaming embers that can carry 1/2 mile out ahead of the flames on strong wind. The picture of one house left and all around it ashes is most likely because the fire has burned up all the oxygen available. Most generally the house is in low place or canyon.   

Another fact of fire, it burns up hill many times faster than down hill. Generally there is no hope of slowing a up hill fire run. So places for fire breaks are limited by terrine. Which explains why you always see the fire retardant being dropped on ridge tops, as well as safer for the aircraft.    

I have a cousin that is near the Woolsey fire and is evacuated last I knew. She lives near Thousand Oaks.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, ray54 said:

Fire departments did not like control burns because  there is always a chance to have it go out of control. Man does not control as much as he would like to think. And of course the hoards of lawyers that reside in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Always looking for a suit to bring. 

The last 10 years fire departments have decide all of California will burn, maybe burn it on our terms. When conditions favor fire department having some control. All the nuts from every side but mainly the California Air Resources Board (CARB) now do there best to stop controlled burns.The great minds of CARB are a good part def fluid all new diesel engines need. A very over sized non elected political body. They are not close to getting the message that ALL CALIFORNIA WILL BURN. So burn in the rainy season not the dry. 

Not real familiar with the plant types burning in the Camp fire, but looks like conifers and scrub brush from TV pictures. Scrub if burned every 10 to 20 years is a much cooler fire, can clean under the conifers and never get up in the crowns. The recent dry years have killed many trees more so the closer the trees were before drought, of course make a many times hotter fire.

With the heat  the fires reach with the big fuel load many houses start burning inside from spontaneous combustion out ahead of the flames. And of course all the flaming embers that can carry 1/2 mile out ahead of the flames on strong wind. The picture of one house left and all around it ashes is most likely because the fire has burned up all the oxygen available. Most generally the house is in low place or canyon.   

Another fact of fire, it burns up hill many times faster than down hill. Generally there is no hope of slowing a up hill fire run. So places for fire breaks are limited by terrine. Which explains why you always see the fire retardant being dropped on ridge tops, as well as safer for the aircraft.    

My brother in law had a burn permit to burn some brush last year. He was allowed to burn for 2hrs from 9:30-11:30am. So he bought 28 goats to help eat shrubs and grasses in their orchard. 10 goats survived the fire.

My brother in law was on the news last week. He didn't mention after he left his burning house he rescued a guy and his 3yr old daughter.

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/7ec0520f537055f8a099cb1433cd97a9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

My brother in law was on the news last week. He didn't mention after he left his burning house he rescued a guy and his 3yr old daughter.

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/7ec0520f537055f8a099cb1433cd97a9

So devastating for so many people .

People like your BIL that reinforces faith in humanity.

Tony

• Like 1