560Dennis

SS EBMUND FITZGERALD WENT DOWN TODAY

The wind chill is down to twelve here. I was thinking about the 29 that went down with her. Turns out it was today ! 

I remember the Fitzgerald ,she was huge ,coming into Conneaut harbor , just can't imagine what they must have gone through . 

Mother Nature 

Ya there was gale warnings on the big lake last night with the snow storm 

I think she went down in a big hurry with all that tackinite pellets on board

Mike

A friend has a cabin about 5 miles south of the south shore east of Munising.  Had breakfast w/ him this morning and commented on this day and the Edmund Fitz.  He was up there last week and said the lake was putting up 20 footers.

ya brings back memories of how life was back then too funny how some tragic moments stick in your head like where you were and what you were doing on that particular day

9 minutes ago, mikem said:

Mike

that was an iconic song 

• Like 1

A tribute to the 29 men who died November 10, 1975, aboard the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR09vuKhQoMHCfV054bvPXMvMhppLQZSnXfIAa5O7v90N8h3ZHwngkbrzzw

I was thinking about this very subject last night. Googled it to see and sure enough a year ago yesterday that they left. One year ago today they went down.  Played Gordon lightfoots song last night too. Always thought it was a fitting tribute the the men that didn't make it. 

RIP crew.

thanks for the reminder, Dennis. I can't imagine the crew's last couple hours. I sang Lightfoot's song for them tonight.

"You can feel the souls of those lost when you stand on the shores of that great lake. Pity the men who brave her waters without caution, beware of those who go with full knowledge of what the lake can do, as that is one whom has no fear of death and unknown."

I don't remember who said it, but every time I have been on the lake I think of it and wonder what the h377 I'm doing out there. 

I WORKED AT BAY SHIP BUILDING IN STURGEON BAY WISCONSIN. I WORKED ON THOSE ORE BOATS. WHEN DOWN IN THE GRAVING DOCKS YOU WOULD THINK A BOAT THAT BIG WOULD NEVER SINK. I KNOW/UNDERSTAND THE HATCH COVERS. SOME OF THE BOATS WERE SPOTLESS.COUPLE WERE PIGS STYS. SOME OF THEM HAD VERY BEAUIFUL WOODWORK IN THE CABINS. VERY DANGEROUS PLACE TO WORK. WE DID REFURB/INSPECTIONS AND ALSO NEW CONSTRUCTION. I SEEN SOME WITH POOL TABLES/PING PONG TABLES. SEEN ONE WITH A COMPLETE MACHINE SHOP. I SEEN SOME OF THE MEALS THEY ATE. THE CREW WAS FED VERY GOOD. THE ENGINES ARE MASSIVE. YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE MERCHANT MARINES TO GET EMPLOYMENT ON THE BOATS. I WORKED WITH A OLDER FELLAS THAT WORKED ON THE BOATS BEFORE HE CAME TO THE SHIPYARD. HE WAS ON A ORE BOAT IN A STORM. HE SAID THE JUST POPPED/SNAPPED AND GROANED. THE WENT INTO SHORE LINE FOR COVER. HE SAID HE GOT OFF  ON SHORE AND NEVER WENT BACK OUT AGAIN. I SAID HE WAS SO SCARED. THEIR BOAT ENDED UP NEEDING REPAIRS.  BROKEN WELDS IN THE HULLS. HE CLAIMED THE BOAT BOUNCED AROUND LIKE A BASKETBALL. I REMEMBER HAVING TO WALK OUT ON THE END OF A DISCHARGE CONVEYNOR TO WORK ON IT. SCARY STUFF. THE FITZ WAS 728 FEET. MOST OF THE ORE BOATS NOW ARE THOUSAND FOOTS. WE HAD ANYWHERE FROM 25 TO 35 BOATS IN THE YARD IN THE WINTER LAYUP. SOME CREWS STAYED IN THE WINTERTIME DOING PAINTING AND SUCH. THAT IRON WAS ALWAYS SO COLD TO WORK ON IN THE WINTER MONTHS. YOUR CLOTHS DIDNT LAST LONG. THE HAD FIVE DIFFERENT UNIONS IN THE YARD. I WAS IN THE BOILERMAKERS...THEY HAVE A HUGE OVERHEAD GANTY CRANE OVER THE BIG GRAVING DOCK. THET WOULD LOWER SKISTEERS/FRONT END LOADERS/TELESCOPING FORK LIFTS DOWN INTO THE DOCK .VERY INTRESTING JOB.

Yes the big lake can get wild at times. In my life time I remember three ships going down ! One of the worst storms is the one in November 1905 a score of ships sank or were wrecked on the shore. Some you can see from the tour boats you ride on.

whenever I get up there that lake gives me the chills. that was a sad day and I remember it well. God rest their souls.

I grew up on lake Ontario and never paid it any mind. It was perfect blissful ignorance on my Poppy's boat when we'd fish. Life was perfect and nothing could go wrong.

Then in my twenties, I bought a small old boat of my own and took it out and I had engine trouble. Now, I was a Division I swimmer in college and still the vulnerable feeling of being out and alone helpless and with my little nephew aboard, came onto me like getting hit by a truck. Ultra scary. 

Now that I think of it, I haven't been on the lake since, and I could spit in it from here.

My father-in-law was on steam ships on the Great Lakes for a few years out of high school. Then a small southern girl caught his attention and he decided he did not want to be away for long so he took up other employment (many jobs over the years). They spent most of their years living in north Texas, a long way from big waters.

My sister entered the US Merchant Marine Academy in 1976, the year after this shipwreck. Living on Lake Ontario it was big news here. Always scared me. She worked years for Exxon on super tankers all over the world.

If you cruise all the way up the Keweenaw Peninsula, the last spot you'll probably see people is Copper Harbor. Now I live in central MI, and Copper Harbor is a bit over 500 miles away from me. However, Copper Harbor isn't the tip of the Keweenaw, it'll take about an hour or a little more, but there's about 7.5 miles of a "two track" if that's what you want to call it, that will take you to High Rock Point, which is essentially the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Go there on a day when the wind is blowing hard and it's raining, and you'll really feel the power of the lake out there all by yourself with no one nearby. There is a pretty much straight rock face that goes into the lake 10-20 feet down, and the water against that rock face has carved depth into that spot for millennia,  the water is BLACK and appears to be very deep. I don't think there'd be much chance of survival if you happened to tumble in unless you were a very strong swimmer. Those poor sailors probably endured **** on earth in their last few minutes/hour. God rest their souls.

Although struggling, as I understand it she went down quick. One sweep of the radar she was there ,the next she was gone.