pt756

electronic ignition question

we had put electronic ignition on our m about 2 years ago. was telling neighbor lady how good it works she had it put on their ford 8n with a loader on just to clean their yard. it has failed about 8 times so far,what could be the problem any help appreciated thanks

Just some guesses.. Maybe the problem is really something other than the electronic ignition itself? Is the ford running 6 volts and the ignition needs 12? Maybe a coil that is not compatible? Maybe has a resister, or not and should? I put one in an H years ago. Seems I remember it being a squeeze to not pinch a wire inside the  distributor.

thanks it just seems that that is the end of ignition problems and it is not working out for them, she has also been trying yesterdays tractors under the ford discussion,

they work or they dont for some,basically cheap china ^%$ many things can ruin them easily and quickly like leaving key on, or voltage in line, wrong coil etc

for ford, front mount has more issues and 6v unit would not like the 8v battery many install 

for some it is $200 conversion with various parts,.....buys a lot of points which I salvage the old ones

was going to convert 30 units over,but glad supplier wanted 3x wholesale ,when I heard how fragile they really are ,and MFG basically said ^&%(  dont buy it then

Something isn’t right.  Ive only had one fail in all the years of having several engines with the Pertronix Ignitors, and that was because I left the key on.  I did replace a Pertronix Ignitor II with an Ignitor I last winter on a skidsteer, should have never had a II on in the first place.

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Leaving ignition on with engine off.

That's my first thought. 

This is the reason why I didn't change my H over to electronic ignition when I got it going last year. I have a niece that likes to sit on the tractors and mess around ( with supervision of course, she's 2) She one time this summer while up there with her mom pulled the ignition button on the H and never pushed it back in. I went up to use it to rake hay and found the button out and the battery deader than a stump. If it had been electronic ignition it would have fried it and would have had to work on that instead of boosting the battery to get it started. 

A battery charger will also toast them.  Never charge with more than a trickle without unhooking the ground cable and definitely never boost to start.  Tells you right in the directions.

jerry

3 minutes ago, SMOKER 1 said:

A battery charger will also toast them.  Never charge with more than a trickle without unhooking the ground cable and definitely never boost to start.  Tells you right in the directions.

jerry

Good to know, thanks 

Another reason i guess for me to steer clear of electronic ignition. Not being able to boost start it.

That is why I have a battery switch on mine (i also don't want the building burned down!)

460,M,Super M,cub 154 loboy all have electronic. 154 loboy is the only one to have issues. I fried 2 of the units. Biggest problem for me was accidentally arcing them to death. 2nd one was because of the positive battery cable grounding out when it was caught between 2 pieces of sheetmetal.

fragile china %^$*()&* that does not use proven 60's tech updated with quality components shrunk to fit

glad I saved the $5K on conversions  alot of $$$ left  even using new  ^&%^& points 

Seems to me the old Fords had positive ground, make sure all components are grounded right. (positive or negative).

Just now, augercreek said:

Seems to me the old Fords had positive ground, make sure all components are grounded right. (positive or negative).

unit you buy has to internally  match system