lorenzo

Bald Eagle population increasing?

For the past few years we have been seeing Bald Eagles in our area.

5 years ago if you would have mentioned seeing one everyone would have laughed at you and called  B.S.

Now it seams we see them every day.

Before the weather changed yesterday there was four of them in a corn field I was picking, two males and two females.

If the head is white it means they are at least three years old.

Here's a picture  from the combine of the females sitting on the Pivot. The two males were soaring around most of the time and only landed occasionally.

Got to see one get a rabbit. I guess the population has recovered pretty well.

Anyone else seeing an increase in sightings?

IMG_7770.thumb.JPG.0b68dfbe85aa7e3775a57a1ad109ee64.JPG

• Like 2

Yeah, in SW Ohio. not a bunch but they were almost nonexistent a few years ago.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Here in central KY there have been more n more I seen one a little more than a year ago trying to catch fish off a lake on one of the farms I work for they said he was a local  like you said a few years ago people would called b/s if you mentioned it it's about the same with black bear too the county I live in is actually zoned for Black power hunting this year most people couldn't believe it

• Thanks 1

They started showing up here again around 10-years ago.  First only saw them in the Winter.  Now there's a 12-month population. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They seem to like the Niobrara river country. See them on a regular basis.

• Thanks 1

Last decade they have been on a steady increase around central PA

• Thanks 1

Have seen more in last 10 years around here as well. One summer or maybe 2 there was one nesting in the trees leftover from the old house site across the road. Talk about constant squawking and screeching. Saw one this summer right in the middle of paved street on edge of town. Had something in its claws, couldnt tell what. Flew up and landed in field next to road as i got near. I wondered if somebodys cat was dinner.....

• Thanks 1

Yes they have been showing up here in nd for the last 25 years. Before that was a super rare sighting. When you see one up close they are powerful birds 

• Thanks 1

Steady increase here too in last 10 years. I've been seeing some nests in some big trees too. I can't remember ever seeing eagles here until 10 years ago. Lots of hawks though.  

• Thanks 1

There's at least two nesting pairs on a lake near me, as  well as eagles up and down the Grand river, which is just down the road a few miles.  Also saw a golden eagle on the flat river near Smyrna this summer while canoeing.  Those things are HUGE!!!

• Thanks 1

When they showed up in North Central Ohio the ODNR told one farmer he was going to have to stop farming his river bottom. They thought his activity would bother the birds. 

he said they have been here five years and don't pay any mind to my tractors. They do like to nab the critters we scare out from time to time.

• Thanks 1

Sat along a road berm one day watching a pair of Eagles pulling the guts out of a groundhog. This was like 20 feet or so away. They are magnificent creattures

• Like 1

MUCH more common in the central Illinois river valley than they ever have been...I see them 3 or 4 days a week!  Also huge numbers of red tailed hawks....every mile on the road seems like you see one on a utility pole. 

Cool to see the eagles up close!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

There's at least two nesting pairs on a lake near me, as  well as eagles up and down the Grand river, which is just down the road a few miles.  Also saw a golden eagle on the flat river near Smyrna this summer while canoeing.  Those things are HUGE!!!

Golden or immature Bald?

Seems less here but havent been paying attention...5 year time span.

• Like 1

I've seen a few here in Northwest Ohio. I would agree that their population is rising. 

• Like 1

seeing the eagle up here is the every day norm

so far they are leaving the chickens alone.

Mike

• Like 1

Saw these two cleaning up a dead Coon, had seen one all summer around the pond.    If you saw one ten years ago, everyone in a four county area would be driving past with binoculars to look at the nest. 

9DDCF0FB-84E9-4199-BA19-262BF1A237FC.jpeg

• Like 1

They used to follow goose hunting as water froze here eating wounded geese and birds. Now they hang around for deer season and eat the wounded and gut piles. One of the first eagles I had ever watched sat in tall cotton wood tree at farm. It seemed old or slow just watched as I loaded manure about 250 feet from it on open super M. He watched for about 2 hours then leaped from tree branch. Branch went down eagle went up and I looked at those claws and beak hoping it kept flying away.

• Like 1

I don't live that far from a national refuge. So we have always had a couple around. But the last 20 years they have increased big time. Mile north of my house is a large creek with big cotton woods and oaks. There must be 15 nest in the trees. Sort of neat watching the little ones look out of the nest. They keep anything dead cleaned up. 

• Like 1

See em all the time here. Nests everywhere. Didnt see em til the late 90's around here.

• Like 1

Saw my first pair locally about 15 years ago. They were a rare sighting until about 4 years ago when I would see an occassional one. This year they have been every where. Watched  5 go after the remains of an opposum that my son ran thru the combine. Another time I saw 8 fishing the bayous of our riverbottom field after the river had been out & waters were receeding. Last year saw two golden eagles in a bean stubble field. Now those are big birds. I was less than 50 yards away from them when I drove by. Turned around at the next intersection to go back & take a pic but they flew away when I started to slow down. 

• Like 1

There's always been a few around here. Not enough that you see them every day but they're always around. Neighbour claims he saw 7 of them the other day in the bushes just a half a mile east of our house. His eyesight isn't as good as it used to be though too so I kind of wonder. He warned me and said you better keep your cat in, the eagles are out and about.

• Like 1