88power

Grease gun mishap

Yesterday the new kid couldn't get one of are DeWalt 20 volt battery operated grease gun to take grease after changing out the tube he asked the bossman as he was walking by he showed him the old trick of hitting the top of the gun on a lug on the tractor tire (I've never had to do that with a battery operated they have always been easy to bleed for me) it ran grease for a second then quit I seen him messing with it asked him what was wrong he handed it to me I went through the motions and no luck I said you sure you got grease in here it acts like it's empty (wouldn't have surprised me if there was no tube at all in it) you n he said oh well I think maybe I didn't take the metal pull tab cap off low and behold that's what it was I laughed and ribbed him about it quite a bit then I thought to myself if I'd done that around my older brother or dad I'd probably got that metal tab stuck to my forehead as a reminder not to forget lol kids have it easy these days 

• Like 1

That happens all the time! It’s not his fault, they don’t have instructions printed on the grease cartridge!

Back in 96 the dealer was here setting up a silo unloaded in our new silo, one guy went to get lunch while the other guy was trying to grease the silo unloaded, he was friggin with the grease gun for 5 or 10 minutes and I finally asked him what’s up he said he can’t get the grease out a grease gun I said well let me see it so I try to pull out the handle on the end and I said it’s empty!

Live and learn I guess! 

They are always empty in our shop when you get one out. :D

Got a new Milwaukee drill one time and it came with a free grease gun. After I got it loaded with a cartridge it wasnt hard to see why it was free. It would quit pumping after just a few strokes all the time. I took it apart and it was obviuos something was not put together right. So we sent it back and they repaired it for free and now it works fine. I decided to check onother one off to fine chineese craftsmanship.

2 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Got a new Milwaukee drill one time and it came with a free grease gun. After I got it loaded with a cartridge it wasnt hard to see why it was free. It would quit pumping after just a few strokes all the time. I took it apart and it was obviuos something was not put together right. So we sent it back and they repaired it for free and now it works fine. I decided to check onother one off to fine chineese craftsmanship.

I've had a Milwaukee grease gun that has been flawless except for that one time some idiot🙄 forgot to pull the metal tab off a new cartridge. Should have fired that guy..........

Rick

• Haha 3

Now if they can invent one that won't seap and drip on the floor

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1967806 said:

FB_IMG_1541778408486.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We had one older guy that worked out here swore to me that he could get more places with a straight shot gun then one that had a flex hose I said well that explains why all the straight guns are u shaped or broke 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, 1967806 said:

When I was in high school we had an old lever type grease gun that would prime anytime you changed cartridges upside down, sideways, under water, in zero gravity, it didn't matter.  It worked flawlessly.  One day it fell off the grinder mixer and the tire got it........went to a nice pistol grip and it was (and still is) a @!&$ to prime.   I don't know what it was about that old one but I sure miss it!

Al

I’ve got a Milwaukee, it’s fantastic 

Kids....  lol

I always take the gun and thread in the cartridge end a couple turns then release the handle. Give it a few pumps then finish threading the tube in. Seems to always work on any different gun. That allows the air to get out better. My uncle showed me that 25 years ago and been doing that ever since. I just can’t keep it all inside where it belongs. Seems to wind up all over me and the gun. 🤨

• Like 1

I also put it on a few turns then release the rod seems to force the grease into the gun for prime.  

What I can't understand is how you can run out of grease on the last fitting just as it filled, and not know the gun ran out of grease .  But every time I grab a empty gun the last guy (I know he was) says huh didn't know it was empty 😒

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I caught dad doing that once, he spent 20 minutes or more trying to get it primed. I stepped in and said did you take the metal cap off. Yes of course he said this isn't the first time I've done this. 5 minutes later he was on his way with a working grease gun and mumbling something I couldn't understand lol.

I too always thread the housing on a litle bit and then lock the plunger and give it a little tap. Then I push the plunger in and thread the housing in the rest of the way. Seems to work good for me as I very seldom have issues with it priming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Kids....  lol

I always take the gun and thread in the cartridge end a couple turns then release the handle. Give it a few pumps then finish threading the tube in. Seems to always work on any different gun. That allows the air to get out better. My uncle showed me that 25 years ago and been doing that ever since. I just can’t keep it all inside where it belongs. Seems to wind up all over me and the gun. 🤨

X2

What is a grease gun? I hardly touch one ever again if I can help it. We have two air greasers , one in the shop near the door with 75' of hose on the reel and one in the service truck. We only have to use a gun for the lagoon pump and irrigaton pumps . One of the best things with these is that 15 years ago before we got our first one it was impossible to get a quality hand gun 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Have always pushed in handle at end of tube while pumping, works every time 

X 2   Except one time years ago.  Put in new tube, pushed rod in, got about 3 pumps of grease.  Pulled rod out, got it turned just right, banged on tire, 3 pumps then no grease.  Thinking must be a really big air pocket.  Repeat process, same result.  Took head off of grease gun and pulled tube out.  Found a big wad of masking tape some one had put in the tube at the factory before filling.  Worked fine after I got the tape out.

12 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Kids....  lol

Same here...

All over you, oh you have never met the anti-seize gremlins.  My hands are seize free for days after i put that stuff on 1 3/8" bolt!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, Me too on threading a couple of turns then release the handle before screwing the rest of the way.. I guess we all think alike about getting one primed. I have no problem with priming after doing it that way.

58 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Same here...

All over you, oh you have never met the anti-seize gremlins.  My hands are seize free for days after i put that stuff on 1 3/8" bolt!  ;)

Hahaha or pipe dope anymore I use latex gloves and a pocket full of blue shop towels on any of those things they make a big difference

• Like 1

I have an air grease gun when I change the cartridge it usually does not want to pump so what I do is just unscrew the valve between the housing and the hose and one pull of the trigger and the grease comesout, screw the hose and valve back in and away we go! 

On the manual grease guns I screw the head on a couple of turns and when I release the handle I turn the handle so it locks in the plunger and I press the plunger into the cartridge and then turn the handle and then shove it all the way in, that gets am working every time! 

I think I just got anti-seize on my glasses reading this.  

when I was in the service we got the cheapest grease guns made, a putty knife might have been better. I used the same stuff for years, never had good luck.

Now I use Alemite and they work great,  costs a few bucks more but I don’t waste grease so it works out.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I use bulk filling why mess with tubes? Beside then I do not usually have to deal with a pocket of air. Milwaukee does make it nice to prime if needed just push the button and release the air.

15 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Kids....  lol

That was part of it before cartridges

Ron.

I probably have a grand total of ten, maybe twelve grease guns here for my equipment. I am about the only one who does the PM on stuff around here. I have been using T.R.C. Crown and Chassis grease for many years. I buy it in 5 gallon buckets. I gave up on the pumps for the buckets, as they were more hassle than they were worth. I insert a piece of tubing into the body of the gun, use a trowel to fill the gun, remove the tubing and assemble the gun. A few pumps of the handle and I have primed and ready grease gun. But alas I still can not find a full gun when I need it. 

• Like 1

Our backhoe and wheel loader at work both came with grease guns when they were new. Those guns lasted a long while but quite working a few years ago. Then we had a real nice one from napa but it too took a crap this spring. Since most are junk and we had good luck with them in the past I bought a new pistol grip gun from the local JD dealer this spring. It has been a great gun so far. There is a spring loaded air release valve on the top that you can just press up and down and let out the air and the gun works on the first pump every time. It also has a cam setup on the handle to change from the normal high volume setting to a pressure setting to push grease into fittings that are dry or have debris in them to unblock them.