MTO

Haven`t seen one of these in decades

Bet the firemen were glad when they went out of style... or BANNED!

They made me nervous. Never had one. 

But there was one in every shop up and down the road.

45850869_2490427990974396_7689525201251336192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=f716c273f0a444498fcea63364789ae3&oe=5C7E73FB

• Haha 1

Got one in a shed on my place just come get it 35 gallon...

Just done away with mine last year.     Built a replacement .      image.thumb.jpg.64817372802feeb330353498cb878569.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.fe2f31ab6c27bfb36e0ebc1d7ebac400.jpgparden the stuff behind it had to make a hole to set it in

Nice.    What's the pipe  fitting on top?  Oil feed?

I remember seeing those barrel ones, but was lucky enough to have never had to use one.  How did they work?  Wood in the bottom and the top was for what? 

I was reading that the top drum gave lots of extra heat. I think the barrel design was great for maximum heat but a safety hazard because drum sheet metal is too thin. You need thick steel or cast iron to safely handle the heat.

49 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

Just done away with mine last year.     Built a replacement .      image.thumb.jpg.64817372802feeb330353498cb878569.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.fe2f31ab6c27bfb36e0ebc1d7ebac400.jpgparden the stuff behind it had to make a hole to set it in

That heater is awesome!! What are the two knobs on the bottom?

Just now, stronger800 said:

Volume and tuner? 

and just 3 channels

• Haha 1

Looks like damper knobs

Damper knobs. The door in between has a auger in it for ashes.       Put a false wall inside and aimed to put forced air out the IH. Vent.  It got cold last winter had to put it to work lol

Home made stoves can be awesome.

An old welding shop I used to visit years ago had one right in the center of his shop

It was made of full sheets of steel so it was 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep with a huge lid that he opened with a chain hoist.

I remember watching him load tree stumps into it with a skid steer.

This one has been my favorite for a long time.

It's made from a WW2 era underwater mine.

These are made overseas and I tried to buy one a couple years ago but the shipping was going to be four times what the stove cost.

minefur12.jpg.6bf2c1c7318e1b341e8535342be941bf.jpg

jWlzeSw.jpg.957d6810e1f034d697b8df69650f28da.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Every shop around here had a barrel stove or two in it for many years. They even worked better if you run a few pipes through the top barrel with a fan blowing through them. Worked great till you got them a little too hot and they warped bad.

I line the bottom barrel with fire brick , Usually run around 700-750 Deg ,been using same barrels for 30 years

I have run it 2 ways 1 barrel and a magic heat in the pipe and 2 barrels no blower ,

I added a 24x32 all season family room onto the house. I wanted to do this but  my girl friend said NO. 

daily-morning-awesomeness-45-photos-455-26.jpg

• Like 3

So this is what I'm going to do instead outside. 

79c9c7ad3e80c08725d97d233652c651.jpg

• Like 4

I like both ways RKo

17 hours ago, RKO said:

I added a 24x32 all season family room onto the house. I wanted to do this but  my girl friend said NO. 

daily-morning-awesomeness-45-photos-455-26.jpg

That’s damned cool 😎 

But I can see myself filling at stove, turn around to grab another piece of wood, stub my toe, and falling  face first into that stove, or putting my hand onto it to stop myself from falling face first into it😱

Had two barrel stoves in succession in my shop, the more I tightened the shop up the less heat they put out. Pulled the last one and put in an old coal stove. It worked a lot better than either barrel stovel did. Then a few years later was given a mobile home furnace, ran it for several years, turn it on and turn it off. No problems with it but I acquired an oil fired boiler, had several hanging fan coil units from several different remodel jobs I was on. Installed the boiler and the FCU's, again turn it on and run it while you are in there working, then turn it off when  you are done. No problems with that system either. I can turn the thermostat down at night and leave it run if I need to keep the shop warm overnight.

I may heat my house with wood but my shop time is better spent working on projects than starting and tending a woodstove. 

Dan.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, lorenzo said:

This one has been my favorite for a long time.

It's made from a WW2 era underwater mine.

These are made overseas and I tried to buy one a couple years ago but the shipping was going to be four times what the stove cost.

minefur12.jpg.6bf2c1c7318e1b341e8535342be941bf.jpg

jWlzeSw.jpg.957d6810e1f034d697b8df69650f28da.jpg

What ever you do. Under no circumstances fall against one of the spikes 🔥🔥🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Those double barrel stoves put out a lot of heat.

They will, "Heat a hay rack!"

Miller Mobile home furnace with a cottage base in my shop. Place stays at 60 all the time unless i want it warmer. No hauling anything. Funny but we have a wood furnace in the house, well a combination wood/oil. House seems to be more comfortable on wood probably because the blower runs constantly.

Friend of mine had the barrel stove. The thin sheet metal always concerned me. I remember him hauling it to the dump after a visit from his insurance man.

• Like 1