TD7E Brake Adjustment Issue

danl

Hello, I have a early 70's TD7E that the brakes are not working on. I'm not sure why, but there were 2 nuts on each adjustment rod welded to the rod. I removed them both. The break linings are worn and I have removed them. My issue is one side of the brake adjustment rod moves very difficultly and I don't see the adjustment bolt moving and the other side moves easy but I also don't see the pin or bolt moving inside the rear frame casing and it seems to not be grabbing whatever it moves. I don't see how the transfer of movement happens between the adjustment rod and the bolt that moves in and out on the backing plate of the shoe. I don't see that theres any way to access the mechanism and the parts manual does not have any info or pictures of it. As of right now theres no way to adjust either shoe.

danl

I have a TD7E that I did the brakes on, the parts book shows the adjustment screws on page 4-2 part  4 and 6. Number 4 is the outside one and 6 is the inner one.

The outside ones on my dozer were very hard to break loose, that's probably why someone welded a nut to it. You can gain access to the inner one number 6 through the round access plate on the rear of the dozer.

The  Operation & Maintenance Manual has the adjustment procedure in section 9 page 9

Glenn 

You need to get yourself the service manual for your tractor, ISS-1543 covers the 100, 125, TD7, TD8 Series C and E. There are 26 pages devoted to the steering. If you have the steering clutch and brake shoes relined the lining is .141 - .147 thick. There is a procedure to adjusting the clutches which is in the service manual. Here is a picture of one of the adjustments, A is 7-5/8 to 7-3/4 inches to the rear of the frame. Be sure whoever relines your shoes they know what they are doing, these run in oil, the bonding must be done correct, don't ask how I know!  Be sure your oil is Hy-tran or equivalent.   

Number 16 in drawing is number 2 in second picture. If you don't get the interior adjustments right you will never be able to get the brake adjustment correct.

IH 100 Steering.jpg

IH 100 Steering clutch adj..jpg

Archived