Big Bud guy

JD 30 series vs 40 series

426 Allis.......Harvey Hand Grenade 

Don't Hunleys have one or two of the prototype 8000's that were going to be Komatsu powered?   

I always thought the 426 AC was OK up; to 150 HP.  Looking at the state tests they didn't have much of a torque rise.  Talking about powershifts, that one is as bad as the JD powerlesshift as far as losing HP.  I hate all powershifts except the Magnums and even them I would prefer a Power Quad type.  4 ranges, 4 powershifts, enough for any job and much simpler.

Everyone complains about the way the doors open but how do the doors on all cars and trucks open from the front or the rear?

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Everyone complains about the way the doors open but how do the doors on all cars and trucks open from the front or the rear?

I actually never minded the way the doors opened. But i was a lot younger then.

49 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I actually never minded the way the doors opened. 

I didn't mind that either. On our '77 1586 we cut the park lock shifter off 2" above where it came through the shifter gate. We used a piece of pipe just slide it over it and once in gear you take the pipe off and set it on the floor. We did this because we were pumping manaur with it for years. We were getting in and out of it 3-4 dozen times a day

Since we don’t want a JD engine but a JD trans will work I found perfect tractor. Navistar 530 with a funk(John Deere owned) trans a perfect tractor. I wouldn’t mind one. The new gen 466s were available in early 90s they would have been great in a farm tractor.

4A76F04B-6B6C-40FB-BD11-250E174EEBB0.png

The doors are a non-issue on the 88's..............The downfall on the 86's was they put the shifters right in the entry way of the door.  Still do not understand what the issue was of putting that cab design out at the start of the 86's that were on the small 88's...........Was IH throwing crap at the wall hoping the design they did use would stick vs how everyone else was moving with the console designs???

I must be the only person in the world that prefers the 86 series layout to the 88s. I like being able to shift and run hydraulics at the same time. I also think the hydraulic levers are too high on the 88s and harder to run all day long.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

The doors are a non-issue on the 88's..............The downfall on the 86's was they put the shifters right in the entry way of the door.  Still do not understand what the issue was of putting that cab design out at the start of the 86's that were on the small 88's...........Was IH throwing crap at the wall hoping the design they did use would stick vs how everyone else was moving with the console designs???

Went from right hand shift for 3 series to left it made no sense did it. Don’t get me wrong I want the whole series of 86s but they could have been improved right away. You have to remember most engineers and executives were heavy alcoholics back in the day. The youngsters were stoned off their butts in 75 . So that is how we got those tractors. Thank god chevy hired the worse engineers we could have had ihc Vega and chevettes.

I'll be honest with you, I never understood all the guys that complained about the center post on Deere's SGB cabs. Most of the ones I ran you could line up the post with the muffler/air intake pipe and they would all blend in together. Non issue for me. The narrow entry at the bottom of the cab door certainly was an issue for me; for some reason or another the good Lord blessed me with size 14 feet so I had to be rather coordinated to get into the door on a SGB. Also, I always felt that when you entered a SGB, you were actually walking towards the rear/drawbar end of the tractor and then had to turn nearly 180 degrees to sit down in the seat; with the 86/88 series you entered the cab from the side, turned 90 degrees and then sit down on the seat. 

Also, I  remembered Deere guys hated the IH 2-door design on the 86/88 series cabs. The neighbor I worked part-time for back in the 1980s had a son who bought a new 4450 powershift 2wd when I worked there. They always had the RH doors on the 2+2 and 1586 locked, the area around the door was a combination junkbox/toolbox/storage area. Now my Dad always liked the RH door on the 1086 as he could open the RH door if the wind was strong from the direction of the LH door. Its interesting to think that just about all modern tractor manufacturers have swung back & forth(pun intended) between 1 door and 2 door cabs through the years; you could even argue that European tractor manufacturers have had 3 door cabs on some of their models as most European countries spec. an emergency escape hatch in their cabs.

To me it is interesting to note that both the John Deere Sound Gard cab and the IH 86/88 series cabs had nearly the same life spans for their respective companies; the Deere SGB was introduced in 1972 and was used until 1993, while the IH cab was introduced in 1976 and more or less was the same cab design all the way through the boxcar Magnums in 1998, albeit with some changes along the way.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:12 PM, bitty said:

The worst thing about the sgc is the muffler obstructs the view of oncoming traffic 

The cab post/muffler/air intake doesn't really bother me until I'm on the road.  You pretty much have to straddle the yellow line to see oncoming traffic on a straight road.

Al

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, leeave96 said:

I agree.  I drove a 4430 this summer with a soundguard cab (first time I’d been in a sound guard cab) and made sure to notice the vertical window seam and really (for me) it was a non-issue.  JD was smart to put it to the left center of the cab as I was was either looking straight ahead or to the right.  The visibility IMHO was terrific.  It was spot on for haying, looking to the right, down over the fender beside the tractor, over the right corner and rear/drawbar visibility for hitching implements was impressive.  Cab was quite and the AC was cold.  Controls were laid out to the right, an easy reach.  Based on the overall JD experience, I’ve added them to my next tractor search along with IH.  I also looked and set in an 86 series tractor this summer (986) and found the forward visibility good too.  The vertical muffler was there and the IH cab had 2 corner posts as you look right or left.  I didn’t feel any of that obstructed my vision.  Honestly, if I could pencil out a JD for the farm, that’s probably what I’d buy.  However I feel the 86 series cab tractors (considering 66 series for open station) deliver the mail too and are much more bang for the buck.  Good engines, plenty of power.  I also have a weakness for IH as my first “car” was an IH Scout 800A - fine machine...

YMMV...

Having to look at this post while planting literally killed me. I am posting from the grave to remind everyone about how dangerous these first world problems are!

IMG_6409.jpg

We always laughed with the JD SG cab. JD become populair in our area with the 6000 series in the mid 90's. Last week we got a 2850 in the workshop. I must say that the SG cab looks quit nice to me now. Compared to a CIH XL cab, I prefer the CIH cab, but the JD cab isn't that bad as we thought.

I know some love them and some hate them...but I love the way the 86 series look.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, redneckchevy9 said:

I know some love them and some hate them...but I love the way the 86 series look.  

I like their looks also. I like the 88 series looks also

• Like 1

Surprised nobody has brought up white cabs of the rowcrop tractors.  Those seemed to be a poor imitation of the SGB. 

8C20DC64-2DDB-40A3-BCF4-A57090FDD2B4.jpeg