Big Bud guy

JD 30 series vs 40 series

I guess as someone who literally grew up in an 86 series cab, I've never quite understood all the angst about IH 86 series cabs and the tractors in general. As someone who has spent several hundred(maybe a few thousand) hours in them, I have to laugh at the guys over on NagTalk who more or less describe operating an 86 series IH as a form of human torture. All I can say is that they must be pretty weak-skinned people as a whole.

For me, I started life with an 86 series when Dad bought a new 1086 in the spring of 1978 when I would have been 6-7 years old. For the next 2-3 years I have no idea how many hours I spent riding around in the area behind the seat in that 1086 with either Dad or my older brothers operating it. Many, many fond memories. If Dad would have bought a Deere with a SGB cab, I probably wouldn't have had any of those memories as there wouldn't have been any room for a young boy to fit in there. Never understood all the hoopla regarding the SGB as I always felt it lacked room for anything other than the driver(and yes, I have driven many a Deere with a SGB).

From there, I grew up to operate Dad's 1086 as well as worked part-time for a neighbor who had a 81-model 1586 and a 3588 2+2 through the mid-1980s. Sorry....but I guess I felt it nothing short of a privilege to operate an 86/88 series tractor for hours on end. Quiet cab, good air conditioning, sealed good against wind/dust, doors that didn't rattle, a radio you could listen to....as a teenager I thought I had went to the promised land. Now, you have to remember this was back when those tractors were pretty new...and I did mostly tillage work with them. This was back in the mid 1980s when the gvmt. was paying farmers to idle 10/15/20% of their farm acreage, depending on the year. In our area, all the grain farmers summerfallowed those acres; so we did a lot of tillage with those tractors as we wanted to keep that ground weed free and BLACK. To think....we thought we were building up our soil by working it to death back then; when, in all actuality, we were destroying it by working it to death. Now, I didn't have to ever use an 86 series in a loader application...I'm sure my mind would change if I had anything other than a Hydro 186 for that. 

I had many days back then operating an 86 series for 6/8/10 hours a day for several days at a time. I don't remember very many days that the AC didn't work well on those tractors(no worse than any other make in that day and time)...I still have very good hearing all these years later(unless you ask my wife....but that's a different matter)...and I remember sitting down for supper at the end of many a long day without ever having a need to wash my face. The 86 series cabs made all of that possible.

As far as comparing them to a 40 series Deere, there were a few things that the 86 series was lacking in comparison. First off, I lacked a can of ether in the IH 86 series cabs as they didn't need ether to start them when it got under 30-40 degrees out unlike their green counterparts. I also lacked the tarp strap in the cab/toolbox for the 3pt. hitch arms that flopped around like a chicken with its head cut off when you didn't have anything hooked to the hitch(or had to worry about the 3pt. arms hitting the tires when in road gear). I didn't have to remember which PTO shaft I used last time so I didn't have to worry about flipping the shaft in the back end of the tractor. I didn't have to worry about overfilling the fuel tank and causing the engine to overheat by plugging up the radiator with dirt/chaff from spilled diesel fuel(did that more than once). And last, but not least, I never had to worry about putting fuel in the radiator...or putting antifreeze in the fuel tank on an 86 series IH.

I guess if operating an IH 86 series tractor is the closest thing to torture I ever have to face in life, then I've had a pretty easy life overall.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, SDman said:

I guess as someone who literally grew up in an 86 series cab, I've never quite understood all the angst about IH 86 series cabs and the tractors in general. As someone who has spent several hundred(maybe a few thousand) hours in them, I have to laugh at the guys over on NagTalk who more or less describe operating an 86 series IH as a form of human torture. All I can say is that they must be pretty weak-skinned people as a whole.

For me, I started life with an 86 series when Dad bought a new 1086 in the spring of 1978 when I would have been 6-7 years old. For the next 2-3 years I have no idea how many hours I spent riding around in the area behind the seat in that 1086 with either Dad or my older brothers operating it. Many, many fond memories. If Dad would have bought a Deere with a SGB cab, I probably wouldn't have had any of those memories as there wouldn't have been any room for a young boy to fit in there. Never understood all the hoopla regarding the SGB as I always felt it lacked room for anything other than the driver(and yes, I have driven many a Deere with a SGB).

I guess if operating an IH 86 series tractor is the closest thing to torture I ever have to face in life, then I've had a pretty easy life overall.

You have to realize that is easy for you to say all of that because you grew up on those tractors. I guarantee you that if would have grown up on a JD SGB tractor like me you would not be posting none of this and vice versa for me.  I like any cab that keeps the dust, cold, noise, and heat off of me.  I could get along fine with an 86 series cab but it would be damn awkward at first. 

47 minutes ago, SDman said:

From there, I grew up to operate Dad's 1086 as well as worked part-time for a neighbor who had a 81-model 1586 and a 3588 2+2 through the mid-1980s. Sorry....but I guess I felt it nothing short of a privilege to operate an 86/88 series tractor for hours on end. Quiet cab, good air conditioning, sealed good against wind/dust, doors that didn't rattle, a radio you could listen to....as a teenager I thought I had went to the promised land. Now, you have to remember this was back when those tractors were pretty new...and I did mostly tillage work with them. This was back in the mid 1980s when the gvmt. was paying farmers to idle 10/15/20% of their farm acreage, depending on the year. In our area, all the grain farmers summerfallowed those acres; so we did a lot of tillage with those tractors as we wanted to keep that ground weed free and BLACK. To think....we thought we were building up our soil by working it to death back then; when, in all actuality, we were destroying it by working it to death. Now, I didn't have to ever use an 86 series in a loader application...I'm sure my mind would change if I had anything other than a Hydro 186 for that. 

I had many days back then operating an 86 series for 6/8/10 hours a day for several days at a time. I don't remember very many days that the AC didn't work well on those tractors(no worse than any other make in that day and time)...I still have very good hearing all these years later(unless you ask my wife....but that's a different matter)...and I remember sitting down for supper at the end of many a long day without ever having a need to wash my face. The 86 series cabs made all of that possible.

As far as comparing them to a 40 series Deere, there were a few things that the 86 series was lacking in comparison. First off, I lacked a can of ether in the IH 86 series cabs as they didn't need ether to start them when it got under 30-40 degrees out unlike their green counterparts. I also lacked the tarp strap in the cab/toolbox for the 3pt. hitch arms that flopped around like a chicken with its head cut off when you didn't have anything hooked to the hitch(or had to worry about the 3pt. arms hitting the tires when in road gear). I didn't have to remember which PTO shaft I used last time so I didn't have to worry about flipping the shaft in the back end of the tractor. I didn't have to worry about overfilling the fuel tank and causing the engine to overheat by plugging up the radiator with dirt/chaff from spilled diesel fuel(did that more than once). And last, but not least, I never had to worry about putting fuel in the radiator...or putting antifreeze in the fuel tank on an 86 series IH.

I agree with almost your entire statement but will interject this: I have both 1086s and a 186. While I do have a loader for the 186, it never wears it. I much prefer the 1086s for loader work.

Like I said I am equal opportunity. We have the 44 , 4630 dad has a couple  8630. So I am going to buy a 4030, 4230 and another 4430 one day. But I grew up in a 1586. Riding on left side incline younger brother on the right. the doors never bothered me or gear shift but I was 14 when the 1586 left. Going to get a 1586 in a few years and I would like the complete lineup and going to accumulate them before I pass. 686 through 1586. John Deere will be summer tractor ihc winter duty . Dad had a 1466 white cab then new 1586.here is pic of it fairly new

4F591178-6923-4F6A-9C8A-9B1CA42D47E9.jpeg

IH had the better cab, until the engineers screwed up laying the inside out.................Anyone who runs one for a few hours getting in an out should clearly see if they do not have their head up their hind end that the shifters in the location they are, in relation to the doors swinging on the A post was and is not a good idea.............Combine that with the smaller steps and you got yourself a makings for an accident.  Did the engineers actually run these tractors testing them?  I know my love affair with them quickly cooled after I took some spills out of them, and I could care if I ever run another one these days.  Climb into a 3*88 or 6*88 why did they not have this with the 86's?????  

I won't even get into the hydraulics, or should I say lack of it on the pre PPH tractors?  Building a tractor without flow controls by that time IMO was crazy.............but by the 88's they had a sweet system.............Then again, some idiots trying to study their own anatomy going up the hind end, took the nice setup on the 88's, threw together that absolutely stupid setup on the magnums to control flow, then went backwards again with crappy hydraulic system on top of it.  

I drove the 86, 30 and 40 series for our neighbors alot and 06, 56 and 66 for dad back in the late 70s and 80s.  The 30 and 40 series cabs were nice but I liked the 86 cabs better.

The 86 was bigger and nicer too me. I am average height so they fit me well. I understand people much over 6 ft are cramped in the 86 cab. The ac in jd cabs I was around gave more trouble when new but they all give trouble now. The metal roof on the 86 was nicer at first but the plastic jd roof is easier to replace  (most tractors in the south live outside). I hate getting in and out of a jd cab, the 86 is easy in comparison.

Our tractors were all open station until dad bought a 1066 with the  custom cab in 1984 at a neighbors bankruptcy auction. I thought I had died and went to heaven...

Thx-Ace

I never ran a 30 series much, but put quite a few hours on two different 4440s.

One of them my dad bought new - I believe in '78.  Dad also bought a new 886 - don't remember the year but it had the 360.

I liked the 886 - the cab was quiet and tight, and the 360 wasn't very thirsty but pulled a good 90 + ponies.  Pretty nice to drive.

I have to admit the 4440 was more nimble, although the steering was almost too light for the road, and the stock 466 had some grunt.  The SGB was small, but the steering wheel and console setups on the Deere were just better, in my opinion.  It pulled about like the red cab 1066 Dad traded in on it, which was running about 140.

But since this thread is about 30 vs 40 series, I can say I remember that right after the 30 series came out, several guys I knew or knew of bought 4430s and found out they'd turn 200+ pretty easy.  Impressive, but the back parts didn't seem to last very long.  Several guys did the same with 1066s, which also broke, but overall I remember they seemed to take the elevated horsepower better than the 4430s.

Most of the 4440s that I've been around have been stock or close to it, ran pretty strong, and stayed together pretty well.  Maybe the 4430s made them gun-shy about turning the fuel screw on the 4440s.  There are probably plenty of strong 4440s out there, but I've just been around stock ones.

I worked for a neighbor that had a 4430, 4440 and a 4450. Each newer series seemed more powerful than the last. Really liked the light tan interior in the 50 series. Never could get used to leaning to one side to see past the front cab post, air breather and muffler!

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I worked for a neighbor that had a 4430, 4440 and a 4450. Each newer series seemed more powerful than the last. Really liked the light tan interior in the 50 series. Never could get used to leaning to one side to see past the front cab post, air breather and muffler!

The cabs didn't really change between the 30-55 series physically correct? We had an 8960 and that was nicer than the 9170 imo. The 30 series we had I would rate the cab at the bottom of the totem pole

45 minutes ago, bitty said:

The cabs didn't really change between the 30-55 series physically correct? We had an 8960 and that was nicer than the 9170 imo. The 30 series we had I would rate the cab at the bottom of the totem pole

They changed the seat well width that is about all I know. Then door striker and opening latches. The 30 to 50 4wd cabs were wider than 2wd tractors. And your 8960 cab was the updated version 1 piece wind shield and door on side.

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, SDman said:

I agree 100%.  I'd of given anything to have a nice cabbed 86 series growing up.   I've used my buddy's 4430 quite a bit and while it's a good tractor I don't care for the obstructed front view.  It's really no easier to get in or out of than the 86 series for me anyway.

I think any of us that have operated a modern tractor it makes us clearly see the shortcomings of the early cabbed tractors.   The 30 series and 86 series are 40+ years old at this point, and pickup trucks from that time period leave a lot to be desired in cabs compared to today as well.  

I find myself really wanting to get a Green 4955 or 4960.  It's a bucket list tractor for me, and while I can't just quite afford one just yet I do keep watching auctions.  My blood bleeds red, but I don't think one green tractor will hurt.... :)  If I do finally get one I'm sure I'll complain about that cab post but at least with the 60 series the exhaust is out of the way! :)  

I had always ran open station { mostly red} until this last summer when I ran my friends 4640 and 8100 JD. Sure didn't like that cab post and exhaust  sure was a blind spot to me. I'll stick to my 806D open station. Guess maybe I'm getting old and set in my ways LOL.

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I find myself really wanting to get a Green 4955 or 4960.  It's a bucket list tractor for me, and while I can't just quite afford one just yet I do keep watching auctions.  My blood bleeds red, but I don't think one green tractor will hurt.... :)  If I do finally get one I'm sure I'll complain about that cab post but at least with the 60 series the exhaust is out of the way! :)  

That is what I am on the hunt for..............45/47/4960.   Customer of mine got one, I ran it some............I have to say, they got all the issues I had with them ironed out.  Steps are tons nicer, muffler off the hood, other small things changed.  Needless to say I am looking for one.  I wish I could find one with 4 SCV's, but that isn't likely.

3 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

That is what I am on the hunt for..............45/47/4960.   Customer of mine got one, I ran it some............I have to say, they got all the issues I had with them ironed out.  Steps are tons nicer, muffler off the hood, other small things changed.  Needless to say I am looking for one.  I wish I could find one with 4 SCV's, but that isn't likely.

Have you seen this youtube vid? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGw2y7xNjA

2 hours ago, B.B. said:

I agree 100%.  I'd of given anything to have a nice cabbed 86 series growing up.   I've used my buddy's 4430 quite a bit and while it's a good tractor I don't care for the obstructed front view.  It's really no easier to get in or out of than the 86 series for me anyway.

I think any of us that have operated a modern tractor it makes us clearly see the shortcomings of the early cabbed tractors.   The 30 series and 86 series are 40+ years old at this point, and pickup trucks from that time period leave a lot to be desired in cabs compared to today as well.  

Run 4455 on drill all spring not even room for your lunchbox. Run the 4960 on grain cart still no room for lunchbox and MUCH louder in cab and lots more general engine noise compared to 55 series.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Run 4455 on drill all spring not even room for your lunchbox. Run the 4960 on grain cart still no room for lunchbox and MUCH louder in cab and lots more general engine noise compared to 55 series.

It's not like I'm actually ever going to use it... :)  I have heard that when JD moved that exhaust the cabs got louder.   

13 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Yep......enjoyed it

They sure don't paint the green tractor in too good of a light compared to the red one! :)

After watching video makes me want to go buy one of those jds. One thing I did notice is looking out back window of JD cab a nice clear view.

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

They sure don't paint the green tractor in too good of a light compared to the red one! :)

I thought it was kinder to JD than I expected when I first watched it.  

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

This is my favorite one.

That series tractor is tough to beat.

IH cab engineering?  What kind of a retard thought this was a good view.  Sound guard cabs are terrible to get in and out of, 86 good, 88 great! 

IMG_20180526_150031600.jpg

IMG_20180518_130252254.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, superih said:

IH cab engineering?  What kind of a retard thought this was a good view.  Sound guard cabs are terrible to get in and out of, 86 good, 88 great! 

IMG_20180526_150031600.jpg

IMG_20180518_130252254.jpg

Whats the difference either way something is in your view? The doors on the 86 series to magnums are kind of a joke, the have no structure at the top and are flimsy and don't seal as well as the should if they were more rigid. I have a late 4650 with the updated wide steps and a 7120 magnum ,if the 4650 had 3 more gears it would be everything the magnum is and maybe more.

15 minutes ago, CDN 400 said:

Whats the difference either way something is in your view? 

Um, did you look at the two pics?